The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Hearing Loss May Double in the US by 2060, Study Warns Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:00:00 AM

Neurons: 59,805
Hearing Loss May Double in the US by 2060, Study Warns

As the U.S. population ages, millions more will face the prospect of losing their hearing, researchers report. Among American adults 20 and older, hearing loss is expected to increase from 44 million in 2020 (15 percent of adults) to 73.5 million by ... More...
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 11:25:25 AM

Neurons: 41,141
One the other hand, this should increase enrollment in sign language classes...Whistle

Seriously, however, losing your hearing isn't fun. I can no longer go to the movies since they don't have captions, and can't watch TV without them.

Hearing aids help, but they aren't perfect, and not nearly as good as real hearing. I am often amazed at what others can hear that I can't, and don't remember a time when I could hear that well.

I must say, however, that sometimes hearing loss can be quite amusing. Especially when I absolutely know that someone did NOT say what I heard them say! Of course, it can be a bit awkward laughing at things that they don't think are funny, until I explain what I heard.

There are improvements in hearing aids every year, but there are also improvements in their prices too...Brick wall So if you can hear well, take care of it.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~