The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Reichstag Fire (1933) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,064
The Reichstag Fire (1933)

The 1933 fire at the German Parliament building known as the Reichstag was a pivotal event in the establishment of Nazi Germany. Allegedly set by a Dutch communist, the fire was used by Adolf Hitler to turn public opinion against his opponents, especially the communists. Immediately after the fire, he enacted a decree suspending constitutional protection of personal rights, effectively establishing the Nazi Party dictatorship. Why do some believe the fire was set by the Nazis themselves? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 3:37:24 AM

Neurons: 855,581
The impudent Soviet propaganda stated that the Reichstag was set on fire by Nazis. It was in history school books. This is what makes me believe that the communists were in fact guilty of arson.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 2:36:24 PM

Neurons: 3,618,491

The Reichstag fire shows how quickly a modern republic can be transformed into an authoritarian regime. There is nothing new, to be sure, in the politics of exception. The American Founding Fathers knew that the democracy they were creating was vulnerable to an aspiring tyrant who might seize upon some dramatic event as grounds for the suspension of our rights. As James Madison nicely put it, tyranny arises “on some favorable emergency.” What changed with the Reichstag fire was the use of terrorism as a catalyst for regime change. To this day, we do not know who set the Reichstag fire: the lone anarchist executed by the Nazis or, as new scholarship by Benjamin Hett suggests, the Nazis themselves. What we do know is that it created the occasion for a leader to eliminate all opposition.

The Reichstag Warning
Timothy Snyder

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/02/26/reichstag-fire-manipulating-terror-to-end-democracy/
nw3bk3y
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 5:09:01 PM

Neurons: 7,012
It shows that when violence becomes a tool for politicians to get their way, then any kind of political argument becomes useless. This is why violence is never the answer in a republic, despite the anger and the frustration. If the system must be changed, then it needs to be done while still respecting the democratic process. Once radicalism becomes the majority opinion, then conversation and compromise stops. The people of a country will never support radical agendas of their representatives.

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” -- Chinese proverb