The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Discussing Metaphorical Babylon Options
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:13:49 PM

Neurons: 7,723
If you appreciate that using a metaphor literally "carries the meaning across", as derived from the Greek meta, after, with, across, and pherō, to bear, to carry, then you may be edified by the description of Babylon as follows:

Quote:
So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
(Revelation 17:3-6)

The imagery is taken from real life. Some women really have arrayed themselves in purple and scarlet, and gilded or bespangled themselves with ornaments, and held golden cups to drink from. This decadent sight would not be unknown around the courts of various rulers in history, and is a fitting illustration of worldly pride, earthly vanity, and material pleasure.

The woman is elevated and carried upon a beast that represents the natural wickness of mankind.

She is also intoxicated, shamefully delighting in the suffering and death of her enemies.

The name on her head reveals her character, and her origins covered in secrecy.

Maybe you've seen this metaphorical woman somewhere, and wondered with great admiration.

At end of Revelation 17, in verse 18, it is stated: "The woman which you saw is that great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth."

Prophecy says she is riding for a fall, and that's the name of this meticulously arranged poetic work.

RIDING FOR A FALL

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
whatson
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 1:55:32 PM

Neurons: 2,389
A titillating topic for Bronze-Age bachelors (fishermen, shepherds, Qumran cave-dwellers)
who whispered these steamy tales of wanton wenches into each others ears
while huddled together on cold nights, free of being considered immoral.

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
Dreamy
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 12:20:40 AM

Neurons: 7,723
whatson wrote:
...free of being considered immoral.

In whose mind, whatson, I wonder as I make an association with this passage which you may have perused at some time, or not:

Quote:
For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities.
Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she has filled fill to her double.
How much she has glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she says in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judges her.
(Revelation 18:5-8)

A strong and effective metaphor to contemplate.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."