The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Number of Anti-Muslim hate groups in the US triples in the last year. Options
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:20:56 AM

Neurons: 209,821
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/15/anti-muslim-hate-groups-increase-far-right-neo-nazis

"Incendiary rhetoric" and a staff of "anti-Muslim ideologues" is credited for the meteoric rise of anti-Muslim hate groups, but for those of us in the US, that is not surprising. The latest report from the Southern Poverty Law Center shows that the number of anti-Muslim hate groups increased from 34 to more than 100 in the past year. The new report found there are now more than 900 active hate groups across the US – from Ku Klux Klan chapters to neo-Nazi hubs to racist black separatist organizations – an uptick of less than 3% since 2015, according to the group’s annual count. This is slightly lower than the group’s all-time high count of 1,018 hate groups in 2011.

The relatively modest increase in organized hate groups in the US has been dwarfed by the increase in "anonymous" websites.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
dannydart7
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:29:40 PM

Neurons: 463
It just cracks me up the way you turn this mess the Islamic Muslims try to turn the dislike of there very hatred view of everything but there agenda .Talk about neo-Nazi and the kkk they have nothing on your radical groups i mean nothing .I really hope that Trump does what he said he do .Most people are willing to give you guys the chance to show different . Than theres those how look at Europe and can see whats happening there and dont want that to happen here . Now go ahead and double talk, use your big vocabulary yes i look up the words you use, and tell us that the muslims here are going to be different . I think not . Only a small number like 25% are not nice ok ya but that number is roughly the total population of the U.S.A. Why dont you guys assimilate rather than try and change us .Pull your heads out of the sand your 600 years behind modern times and than may be it will work .Right now take a close look at your own problems not even the countries over there want to take-in or even help the refugees over there. Why is that? Your underlining quote is the reason i comment .
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:19:45 PM

Neurons: 159,573
dannydart7 wrote:
It just cracks me up the way you turn this mess the Islamic Muslims try to turn the dislike of there very hatred view of everything but there agenda .Talk about neo-Nazi and the kkk they have nothing on your radical groups i mean nothing .I really hope that Trump does what he said he do .Most people are willing to give you guys the chance to show different . Than theres those how look at Europe and can see whats happening there and dont want that to happen here . Now go ahead and double talk, use your big vocabulary yes i look up the words you use, and tell us that the muslims here are going to be different . I think not . Only a small number like 25% are not nice ok ya but that number is roughly the total population of the U.S.A. Why dont you guys assimilate rather than try and change us .Pull your heads out of the sand your 600 years behind modern times and than may be it will work .Right now take a close look at your own problems not even the countries over there want to take-in or even help the refugees over there. Why is that? Your underlining quote is the reason i comment .

Interesting post - did you ever think about taking English, History, Cultural and Geography classes; or maybe even school generally?

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Dreamy
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:59:19 PM

Neurons: 7,723
progpen wrote:
"Incendiary rhetoric" and a staff of "anti-Muslim ideologues" is credited for the meteoric rise of anti-Muslim hate groups, but for those of us in the US, that is not surprising.

Hi progpen,
Thanks for posting this current affairs item.

From what I read and hear deciding what constitutes "hate speech" is becoming more arbitrary by the day.

There are some ethnic groups in our community who I find difficult to do business with because in their culture if they don't ruthlessly pay less to get more they lose face, and so as well as haggling down they like to add more work after a price has been settled. If I am careless in voicing my dislike of this ingrained behaviour and it becomes a racial slur which attracts the attention of like-minded people, there is the potential for a hate group to form.

Fortunately I am not careless in voicing my dislike of foreign cultures that clash with my own, instead considering them a cross to bear, and if I'm paid a fair price my business services their needs like anyone else.

However, as an observer I can understand why groups of people would be unhappy about pro-Muslim ideologies being introduced through government and community policy, and your post seems to point to a backlash against this Trojan Horse continuing to be groomed.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:01:49 PM

Hi Dreamy.
I don't know what it's like in New Zealand, so I can't say what constitutes hate speech there, but any time I've run into hagglers (either as a seller or as a buyer) I let them know I don't haggle and then I don't debate it. It certainly rubs some people the wrong way, but I've never been accused of anything except for asking too high a price.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
dannydart7
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:20:02 AM

Neurons: 463
How is it that if you don't agree with Islam =Muslims in general,in anyway you are automatically suffer from Islamaphobia . I think this phobia is well founded . I know i'm not that educated but please answer the questions . This is were are phobia is well founded take them on and tell us were all wrong its in your Quran the word of Allah. #1 top of the list APOSTASY i was going to go on but just that one is enough for are phobia not be a sickness or mental dis-function but a well documented fact that if you don't fear this your a Muslim. Try to convince me that Apostasy would not be the law if you had the numbers to force apostasy on the rest of us what do you call us the infidels and the Jews the believers of the book. Tell me you don't treat these people as a second class citizen . I tryed to make this one a little easier to read and comprehend . i'm glad you take the time to respond even thou i don't agree with you. APOSTASY try to defend this practice .
towan52
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:27:11 AM

Neurons: 159,573
dannydart7 wrote:
How is it that if you don't agree with Islam =Muslims in general,in anyway you are automatically suffer from Islamaphobia . I think this phobia is well founded . I know i'm not that educated but please answer the questions . This is were are phobia is well founded take them on and tell us were all wrong its in your Quran the word of Allah. #1 top of the list APOSTASY i was going to go on but just that one is enough for are phobia not be a sickness or mental dis-function but a well documented fact that if you don't fear this your a Muslim. Try to convince me that Apostasy would not be the law if you had the numbers to force apostasy on the rest of us what do you call us the infidels and the Jews the believers of the book. Tell me you don't treat these people as a second class citizen . I tryed to make this one a little easier to read and comprehend . i'm glad you take the time to respond even thou i don't agree with you. APOSTASY try to defend this practice .

I've tried to read this about three times, but can make no sense of what you are saying - other than you seem to exude religious bigotry. Can anyone help?

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:30:47 AM

Neurons: 42,127
towan52 wrote:
dannydart7 wrote:

I've tried to read this about three times, but can make no sense of what you are saying - other than you seem to exude religious bigotry. Can anyone help?

Yeah, we have an example right here on the Forum of someone who says Islamophobia is "well-founded". I intend to ignore such propaganda of anti - Muslim bigotry which only spreads hatred.

He is accusing anyone who does not fear Apostasy, whatever that means in his mind, of being a Muslim, which means we are all Muslims who would establish "Apostasy" in whatever country he is from. Which I guess would be awful in his mind. He does mention Jews and infidels after the words "rest of us"?

I don't think he realizes that this is an American Language Forum (with a political sub forum) and that there are only a few posters who are Muslim.

But there could be many international readers who see his posts as reason to join such groups as ISIS when they read anti-Muslim propaganda. So his posts just do the opposite of what he wants which is to keep his country safe.

It is a prime example of "catastrophizing".

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:31:53 AM

I believe that the catastrophizing and terrorist recruitment is part of the plan. After the cold war, the US was desperate to find another enemy. This was not only for the military industrial complex, but also because the leaders of the Republican party know that the fastest way to stir up financial and political support is to keep the people scared and to give them an enemy.

This isn't just in the US of course, but is a tool used globally and it's been around for thousands of years. So now in the US and elsewhere we have been given an enemy in Islam. But when the citizenry start to see Muslims as regular, everyday people (neighbors and friends and business people) then the powers that be must change that. Those powers then create an alternate reality where Muslims are to be feared. They create doubt and uncertainty where there was none. They create facts out of thin air and truth from fiction. And when all of that work finally pays off and there are instances of violence, then those powers jump at that opportunity and splash those instances of violence all over the media. And with that they have their self fulfilling prophesy and a sterling engine of cause and effect that builds to war.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 10:26:50 AM

Neurons: 42,127
progpen wrote:
I believe that the catastrophizing and terrorist recruitment is part of the plan. After the cold war, the US was desperate to find another enemy. This was not only for the military industrial complex, but also because the leaders of the Republican party know that the fastest way to stir up financial and political support is to keep the people scared and to give them an enemy.

This isn't just in the US of course, but is a tool used globally and it's been around for thousands of years. So now in the US and elsewhere we have been given an enemy in Islam. But when the citizenry start to see Muslims as regular, everyday people (neighbors and friends and business people) then the powers that be must change that. Those powers then create an alternate reality where Muslims are to be feared. They create doubt and uncertainty where there was none. They create facts out of thin air and truth from fiction. And when all of that work finally pays off and there are instances of violence, then those powers jump at that opportunity and splash those instances of violence all over the media. And with that they have their self fulfilling prophesy and a sterling engine of cause and effect that builds to war.

Applause Applause Applause

There is another thread just starting asking where racists learn to be racists. Here's part of the answer in Progpen's post.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller