The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

In the News - Should They Continue? Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:14:38 AM

Neurons: 40,304
Despite Presidents Day, Protesters Give Trump No Respite

http://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/despite-president-s-day-protesters-give-trump-no-respite-n723436

Peaceful Protests against US government policies are not going away any time soon, it seems. Several policies were highlighted in marches around the country. Bernie Sanders is working hard too from Facebook posts I've seen.

I would have put this "In the News" category but only Daemon can use that sub forum.

What do you think?

Should they continue? Is it doing any good or are they just being ignored?

Is being ignored why they are continuing?

Are they contributing to T's frustration?

Edited - I am curious as to how common protests were around the world or in the US in 2016 and previous to that. Is this a fairly new phenomenon, or have I just not been paying attention. I have heard of some in Canada but nothing very large. Perhaps the one protesting the taking away of liberties in Canada in fear right after 9/11 is the only one I paid attention to.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
towan52
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:41:53 AM

Neurons: 156,711
I'd never seen "Not my President Day" protests before. I don't honestly think they will have any constructive effect. IMHO, chanting (usually) mindless repetitive slogans, and holding up placards or banners is a pretty ineffectual way of bringing about change. I've heard people say that, now the election is over, we should support and respect the president regardless of our political persuasion. I fundamentally disagree - respect is earned, not given as a right (the same with disrespect). One can say that the position of president should be respected but (again IMHO) that is a fairly meaningless concept - it's an elected position and warrants neither respect nor disrespect per se.

Opposition to Trump should be non-violent, eloquent and erudite. Objective media should be given due consideration and journalists should continue to question and challenge the new administration. Citizens have every right to voice their displeasure or support.

Remarks made by the new administration are tantamount to gagging the press simply because they don't like what's being reported. As relatively powerless citizens, we should take an aggregate from a wide variety of media. If you only listen to/watch MSNBC or Fox News, you are foolish because both media are biased and will skew any news to suit their own agendas. As I and many others have urged (over and over again) - Consider the Source! and be skeptical.

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Orson Burleigh
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:38:30 AM

Neurons: 56,545
Hope123 wrote:
Despite Presidents Day, Protesters Give Trump No Respite

http://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/despite-president-s-day-protesters-give-trump-no-respite-n723436

Peaceful Protests against US government policies are not going away any time soon, it seems. Several policies were highlighted in marches around the country. Bernie Sanders is working hard too from Facebook posts I've seen.

I would have put this "In the News" category but only Daemon can use that sub forum.

What do you think?

Should they continue? Is it doing any good or are they just being ignored?

Is being ignored why they are continuing?

Are they contributing to T's frustration?

Edited - I am curious as to how common protests were around the world or in the US in 2016 and previous to that. Is this a fairly new phenomenon, or have I just not been paying attention. I have heard of some in Canada but nothing very large. Perhaps the one protesting the taking away of liberties in Canada in fear right after 9/11 is the only one I paid attention to.

Protests should continue. The 'right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances' is a fundamental right, a right which should be asserted constantly and exercised often.

As to your questions: 'Is it doing any good or are they just being ignored? '
The protests and the protesters are obviously not being ignored. If pricked does Trump not metaphorically bleed? He does indeed - he metaphorically bleeds effervescently and in Technicolor. The man is a political haemophiliac.

If by 'doing any good,' you mean to ask if the protestors are going to drive Trump from office, the answer is: probably not. In the short term the current protests may well be solidifying support among those who enthusiastically voted for Trump. As an example of this phenomena, I would cite the Parti Québécois hardliner's protest against Pierre Trudeau during the June 1968 election campaign: their chanting, 'Trudeau au poteau!' while attempting to literally assault (with rocks and bottles) the grandstand where Trudeau was sitting almost certainly magnified Trudeau's Liberal election majority.

If by 'doing any good,' you mean to ask if the protestors are going to cause Trump to re-examine (or just to examine) his positions, policies, goals and tactics? Almost certainly, though not immediately and, in some cases, not with the effect that the protestors desire.

Having been elected, Trump must now choose among the contradictory goals of the various parts of the coalition that supported him. Some of the contradictions can be finessed, some constituencies can be ignored or duped. Other programmatic inconsistencies must be addressed: as President Trump will have to disappoint some groups of supporters. Beyond that, and more pressing, Trump will have to deal with the Congress. The ability to effectively work with the Congress has been the sine qua non of successful modern presidencies

In reply to your question about the seeming sudden advent of protests. Anti-Trump protests prior to election were less prominently reported, and were probably smaller than those protests have been since the election. Anti-Trump protests in relation to real estate deals and other allegedly improper business practices have been arranged at various places since the at least the early '90s.

In a more general sense, my dateable personal memory of political events, movements and assorted dissatisfactions only goes back to 1956. Waves of political protests of various sorts have occurred throughout that entire period. Causes have been identified and espoused by the Left (as identified at any given time), then lost, dropped and seemingly forgotten, only to be revived and fervently prosecuted by the Right (as identified at any given time).
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:57:43 PM

Neurons: 186,406
I agree that protests should continue. If/when they stop, then a very loud voice will be silenced and that is exactly what the present administration wants because then they can pretend that no one cares.

The protests have been peaceful and have been successful in making sure that nothing gets swept under the rug.

The fact that protests usually involve people chanting and repeating easily repeatable phrases doesn't negate the value of the protests or of the protesters. It's simply very difficult to get people to chant in unison:
Think about the origins of this country. A country founded by people fleeing religious persecution. A country founded to respect all faiths and all beliefs. This is who we are as Americans, and this must be protected.

It's just a lot easier to chant in unison:
No Muslim Ban.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:24:02 PM

Thanks, Towan and Orson and Progpen for taking the time to post your views.

By doing any good, I meant have any effect upon policy change by those in power or even acknowledgment that there is disagreement.

In fact, Republican lawmakers in ten states have Proposed Legislation that would make it easier to criminalize Peaceful Protest. In North Dakota, for instance, Republicans introduced a bill last week that would allow motorists to run over and kill any protester obstructing a highway as long as a driver did it accidentally. Yeah right. That would work. There would be all kinds of "accidents".
:::
When I send a letter to my government with my protests or even while giving advice such as "here's what my Conservative friends are complaining about so if you want to stay in power Liberal Prime Minister, you'd better listen - I get a polite form letter back that they will take my views into consideration. Then they do what they were going to do anyhow, so it seems. At least our Prime Minister has had the cojones to apologize twice now when he was wrong, so that is something.

I read once that entertainment industries regard one letter as being equal to 1000 as 999 did not bother to write. But that does not seem to hold sway any more when millions are marching and nobody in the current administration in power says anything to even try to appease them. They are just ignored and so will keep doing it as it makes them feel as if they are doing something instead of sitting twiddling their thumbs helplessly - while the number of billionaires in the US in 15 years goes from 51 to 540 and the rest can only dream.

I know the opposition is doing their best but they are in opposition.

Bernie Sanders on Facebook -

"This is how cowardly bullies operate. They take campaign contributions from the wealthy and the powerful, and then beat up on the children, the elderly, the sick and the poor. Not only will Republicans push cuts to school lunch programs, they will go after the Legal Services Corporation, affordable housing, food stamps, Pell grants and any federal program that protects those in need. And then they will reward their campaign benefactors with hundreds of billions in tax breaks."

The costs of security for three White Houses, an adult Presidential family that toodles off on business, and Air Force One to Fl every weekend, plus policing of all these protests is becoming astronomical. And it is all being paid by the taxpayer.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:33:17 PM

Digression - Bernie's on a roll -

One thing I did notice - only one woman and she's at the bottom of the list.

progpen
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:47:22 PM

Neurons: 186,406
Hope123 wrote:
The costs of security for three White Houses, an adult Presidential family that toodles off on business, and Air Force One to Fl every weekend, plus policing of all these protests is becoming astronomical. And it is all being paid by the taxpayer.

But that can't be right, because Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility.Whistle Whistle Whistle

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.