The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Which variety of English should I learn?" Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 9:01:04 AM

Neurons: 17,862
Thank you, everyone, for your sincere opinions.

That is the purpose of a forum -- to express your ideas in a civil, courteous, and rational manner.

No matter what a person says, someone else will object.

That's how human beings are. Bless their little hearts.

If I had my druthers, I would have every English learner in the world speak American English.

Of course, I am not going to have my druthers, so none of you need worry.

But if I was able to convince just one learner to become a speaker of American English, then I will have been satisfied that it was worth posting my opinion.

Have a great day!
Priscilla86
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:33:46 AM

Neurons: 3,349
Lotje1000 wrote:

In Belgium, we are taught Oxford English as a standard. Most university professors tend to add that you're welcome to use American English instead (for instance, to write papers), so long as you remain consistent. I believe it is a healthy approach to not start claiming one language is inherently better than another. Such discussions are futile, not to mention quite linguistically narrow-minded and rather culturally insulting.

As always with language: Dress for the occasion.

I agree with this. In the design world, Apple computer is considered superior to PC but now PC is catching up and in some regards, may have even surpassed Apple. I remember reading a debate on this and there was this guy who said that people in his circle have moved on past debating which brand is better and would just discuss and compare the steps required to produce certain design.

To me, a good teacher should be able to know and point out the difference (be it between the many English versions out there or the difference between Apple and PC) and let me make the decision myself instead of telling me which one is 'best.'
Maryam Dad
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 9:19:15 AM

Neurons: 3,343
I am sorry Parser, Scouse's English is the best!

Kindness is a mark of faith. and whoever is not kind has no faith.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 10:20:41 AM

Neurons: 128,036
Nah! Loada rubbish . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:21:20 PM

Neurons: 34,995

To even discuss whether one dialect or language is 'better' than another - especially on a Site devoted to language - is both fruitless and frivolous. Especially if one doesn't speak, or is unfamiliar with, any other language with which to compare it. It's also rather condescending (and hurtful) to nominate one over another.

This is a perfect forum to explore and compare and discuss language. Let's celebrate this human expression of communication, let's explore it, and rejoice in its inanities and respect its power. But, with no basis for comparison, let alone a particular aspect for comparison; and no basis upon which to judge; no established paradigms upon which to shape comparisons, the entire concept of 'the best' is completely meaningless.

Maryam Dad
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:49:25 AM

Neurons: 3,343
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Nah! Loada rubbish . . .

Alright laa..

Hi Romany,
My comment wasn't serious. At first I thought Parser's opinion was 'strange' as whichever ESL learners' variant of English really doesn't matter, not so important. English learners will be very happy to able to speak whatever English well. But then, he is American so fair play to him to be proud of AE.

*I'd choose BE, love it, but I think AE is inevitable.

Kindness is a mark of faith. and whoever is not kind has no faith.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:26:58 AM

Maryam Dad wrote:

I think AE is inevitable.

Thanks, Maryam Dad, for that intellectually honest opinion.

Thanks, too, to you and DragOnspeaker for teaching me that word regarding a dialect in Liverpool.

(If I had my druthers, EVERYone in the world would speak the SAME language and NO others. Just think what a wonderful world this would be if we tore down the Tower of Babel!)
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:16:07 AM

Neurons: 100,219
TheParser wrote:
(If I had my druthers, EVERYone in the world would speak the SAME language and NO others. Just think what a wonderful world this would be if we tore down the Tower of Babel!)

You probably meant "if we built it again".
If I believed in God I would say it's against His will.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:31:39 AM

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:

You probably meant "if we built it again".

Thanks for your interesting comments.

I don't quite understand the meaning of that sentence.

The Tower of Babel is still standing, in the sense that there are still thousands of languages.

Of course, many of them reportedly disappear every year, for younger people simply refuse to speak them.

Some people feel that not one penny of taxpayer money should be spent to resuscitate them.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:32:53 AM

Neurons: 59,631
If each one of you is capable of understanding what Tme says.....then speak English of any country or dialect.Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Me Gathering Pebbles at the Beach..-Aj
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:42:57 AM

Neurons: 100,219
TheParser wrote:
I don't quite understand the meaning of that sentence.

The Tower of Babel is still standing, in the sense that there are still thousands of languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

Quote:
3 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”
4 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.
5 And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them.
6 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

Quote:
The account in Genesis makes no mention of any destruction of the tower. The people whose languages are confounded were simply scattered from there over the face of the Earth and stopped building their city. However, in other sources, such as the Book of Jubilees (chapter 10 v.18–27), Cornelius Alexander (frag. 10), Abydenus (frags. 5 and 6), Josephus (Antiquities 1.4.3), and the Sibylline Oracles (iii. 117–129), God overturns the tower with a great wind. In the Midrash, it said that the top of the tower was burnt, the bottom was swallowed, and the middle was left standing to erode over time.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:52:29 AM

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
[posted information]

Thanks a lot!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:16:47 AM

Neurons: 34,995

Hey Maryam's Dad -

Nah, don't worry, I think we all know you well enough to know when you're being serious and when not!

Actually, my father - due to a stint in Liverpool as a child after his parents died - was able to speak very broad Scouse. My mother and I had never guessed until one night when I brought a new boyfriend round who was from Liverpool. Suddenly my father started speaking this 'foreign' language my mother and I didn't understand! He and my friend weren't providing a single sentence we understood!! I always remember how weird it was, sitting at my own dining table and thinking that the person who sat at the head of it wasn't my father at all!