The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Discussing Authentic Ekklesia Options
Dreamy
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:51:20 AM

Neurons: 7,723
Those who profess faith in Jesus Christ, whether past, present, or future make up the body of Christ, the body of which Christ and Christ only is the Head.

This headship of Christ is expressed corporately when his faithful believers meet together.

In this respect it is necessary to know how Christ wants His body to function.
Quote:
Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.
(Hebrews 10:23-25)

From this part of the letter to the Hebrews we know the following four things:
1. Christ wants His body to be comprised of those who hold fast their faith in Him without wavering.
2. The members of His body are to stimulate love and good works among themselves.
3. Fellowshipping Christians are obedient Christians who keep gathering themselves together.
4. The ekklesia, or assembly of Christians is to include exhortation, that is persuasive urging.

Christians have gathered in homes ever since they began meeting together nearly twenty centuries ago, and these types of gatherings have continued through to today, sometimes in conjunction with institutional church organisations and sometimes as a preferred alternative to them.

From the New Testament writers it can be discerned that authentic ekklesia is not part of a hierachy, has no clergy, does not revolve around one person preaching a sermon, and ideally does not impose a liturgy on those in attendance. Rather it is open for all to speak as the Holy Spirit has prepared them, and this is done through edyfying dialogue between each in turn.
Quote:
How is it then, brethren? when you come together, every one of you has a psalm, has a doctrine, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the ekklesia; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sits by, let the first hold his peace. For you may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
(1 Corinthians 14:26-31)

For those who seek simple fellowship in relationship with Christ and His body of believers, free of the baggage and burdens of institutional church, and offering more than a superficial nod of acquaintance with church goers in passing after passively occupying a pew on Sunday, the authentic ekklesia where edification and exhortation are shared among equals in Christ is definitely the better option.

Here is one helpful source of information about this topic:
Chuck Missler: The Once and Future Church

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:41:40 AM

Neurons: 44,612
Dreamy,

This is the pattern followed by The Society of Friends, otherwise known as the Quakers.
Familiar?

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Dreamy
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:26:16 PM

FounDit wrote:
Dreamy,

This is the pattern followed by The Society of Friends, otherwise known as the Quakers.
Familiar?

Yes, a fair comparison in some respects, Foundit.

Through the media in NZ the Quakers are known for delivering flowers to prison inmates on Valentine's Day.

While recognising the authentic aspects of the original Quaker, Methodist and Brethren gatherings a study of their history and present day practices, in my view, gives cause for concern. I am by no means an expert on the dynamics of mutual faith movements like these but I am sufficiently informed of the process by which they are birthed, nurtured, matured, divided, deformed, and deadened, to conclude that there is a strong tendency for them to institutionalise and default to inorganic structures which bear little or no resemblance to their founding intentions.

In my quest for authenticity I am convinced the moment a group that assembles for fellowship gives itself an official name it signals an intention to institutionalise to some degree or other. Pretty soon a committee forms and a manual of rules is drawn up and very soon we have yet another denomination.

Good point for discussion, Foundit. I'm glad it got raised.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:35:21 PM

Neurons: 4,658

I'm interested in Amish, which I knew through the movie "Witness"

Dreamy
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 5:21:12 PM

almo 1 wrote:
I'm interested in Amish, which I knew through the movie "Witness"

Yes, almo 1, they are an interesting product of something called legalism, which is defined as excessive adherence to law or formula.

The history of the Amish church began with a schism in Switzerland within a group of Swiss and Alsatian Anabaptists in 1693 led by Jakob Ammann. Those who followed Ammann became known as Amish.