The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What's your favorite Bible's versicle? Options
You know who I am
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 10:11:05 PM

Neurons: 4,702
May the peace of our God be with you, Amen!

Actually, I don't have a specific one, but I will take the: "I'm the way, truth and life, no one gets to the father if not through me".
What are yours?

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 7:43:38 AM

Neurons: 21,588
"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."

-- Ecclesiastes 8:11. (My translation: God does not punish bad individuals immediately, so that is why they think that they will never be punished.)

"He that ruleth his spirit [is better] than he that taketh a city."

-- Proverbs 16:32. (My translation: The self-disciplined person is greater than a general.)

"A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger."

-- Proverbs 15:1. (This is something like the English proverb: "You can catch more flies with honey than [you can catch flies with] vinegar."
You know who I am
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 1:01:58 PM

TheParser wrote:
"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."

-- Ecclesiastes 8:11. (My translation: God does not punish bad individuals immediately, so that is why they think that they will never be punished.)

-- Proverbs 16:32. (My translation: The self-disciplined person is greater than a general.)

"A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger."

-- Proverbs 15:1. (This is something like the English proverb: "You can catch more flies with honey than [you can catch flies with] vinegar."

I love reading Proverbs, dude!

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 10:24:37 AM

Neurons: 146,892
Happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

PSALM 137 (By the Rivers of Babylon)

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 12:38:48 PM

Neurons: 4,458

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted.
Ecclesiastes 3:2

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Bedells
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 1:03:47 PM

Neurons: 521,181
"It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right."

Job 32:9
You know who I am
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 7:14:29 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

I had never seen this one before your comment, after I saw it I quickly ran into the bible to check it out.

You know who I am
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 7:20:37 PM

Sarrriesfan and Bedells

Strong ones.

Dreamy
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 8:24:11 PM

Neurons: 7,723
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Yes, Drag On Speaker, I recall this being a favourite amongst some who question if not oppose the wisdom of accepting all Scripture as inspired of God and useful for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.

However, also numbered amongst what are known as the Imprecatory Psalms, literally those that "invoke evil", these Psalms below likewise show the vindictive and vengeful feelings that attend human nature when it is roused and pushed to extremes by adverse and antagonising situations, situations that test patience to the point where calling on God to execute swift judgment seems the only remedy. In their faithful recording of the Psalmists' zeal, however abhorrent and difficult this is to reconcile with a loving and merciful God, the Imprecatory Psalms present a realistic response in Old Testament times to wickedness and warfare in the natural realm.

Quote:
Psa_5:10, “destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions, for they have rebelled against thee.”
Psa_10:15, “break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness until thou find none.”
Psa_18:40-42, “thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that might destroy them that hate me. They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the Lord, but he answered them not. Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in streets.”
Psa_28:4, “give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavors: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.”
Psa_31:17, “let me not be ashamed, O Lord, for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.”
Psa_35:3-8, “draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation. Let them be founded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt. Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the Lord chase them. Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the Lord persecute them. For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul. Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.”
Psa_40:14, “let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.”
Psa_55:9, “destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city.”
Psa_55:15, “let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick (alive, living) into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.”
Psa_58:6-10, “break their teeth, O God, in their mouth: break out the great teeth of the young lions, O Lord. Let them melt away as waters which run continually: when he bendeth his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces. As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away: like the untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun. Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath. The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.”
Psa_59:12-15, “for the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak. Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be: and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. And at evening let them return; and let them make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city. Let them wander up and down for meat, and grudge if they be not satisfied.”
Psa_68:2, “as smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.”
Psa_69:22-25, “let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap. Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake. Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them. Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.”
Psa_79:12, “and render unto our neighbors sevenfold into their bosom their reproach, wherewith they have reproached thee, O Lord.”
Psa_83:9-17, “do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison: which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth. Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb; yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna ...O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind. As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire; so persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm. Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O Lord. Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish.”
Psa_109:6-15, “set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand. When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin. Let his days be few; and let another take his office. Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow. Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places. Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labor. Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children. Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out. Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the Lord; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out. Let them be before the Lord continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.”

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:15:17 AM

Neurons: 146,892
There's no need to turn to name-calling or sarcastic mis-spelling, if you can't give a reasoned argument.

I could accept some of these - the ideas of fighting against suppression. That's pretty logical.

The idea of killing little children because you don't like their parents . . . well, not my idea of a good god.

I really like this one, which I had not seen before:

-- Proverbs 16:32.

There are some who are in charge of (much bigger things than) cities, who have NO idea of self-control.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Dreamy
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:16:18 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
There's no need to turn to name-calling or sarcastic mis-spelling, if you can't give a reasoned argument.
I could accept some of these - the ideas of fighting against suppression. That's pretty logical.
The idea of killing little children because you don't like their parents . . . well, not my idea of a good god.
I really like this one, which I had not seen before:
-- Proverbs 16:32.

There are some who are in charge of (much bigger things than) cities, who have NO idea of self-control.

Hi DragOnspeaker, you're right, there's no need for name-calling or sarcastic mispelling and I would never resort to it, or frivolity and flippancy which need to be cautioned against, but harmless humour - well, "a merry heart doeth good like a medicine" (Proverbs 17:22).

Some speakers do drag on, I should know after 60+ years of sermons coming my way, but it's funny, I think, when a username invokes the image of a dragon in conjunction with this, so please excuse my wit if it is at your expense and "you are not amused!".

As for Psalm 137, it was written by an Israelite who had been led away captive to Babylon from a much-loved homeland which had been left desolate, and now salt was being poured into the wound by the oppressors who torment their captives with orders for them to sing customary songs and be joyful when they are grieving and lamenting in abject misery and pain.

Furthermore, since the Edomites were particularly zealous and active in seeking the destruction of the hated city Jerusalem, uniting with the Babylonians in the work of ruin, it is little wonder the Psalmist calls upon God to remember their part in the desolation, and hold all the actors in that work accountable.

Finally, in the last two verses of Psalm 137 there is a bringing to mind of the prophecy given by Isaiah which should be read in context with all 22 verses beginning...
Quote:
The burden of Babylon, which Isaiah the son of Amoz did see.
(Isa 13:1)

..in which it was expressly foretold of Babylon that...
Quote:
Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished. Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it. Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
(Isa 13:15-19)

...so that the Psalmist is looking forward to a fulfilment of this prophecy, as

Albert Barnes in Notes on the Bible wrote:
Happy shall he be that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us - Margin, that recompenseth unto thee thy deed which thou didst to us.

Literally, “Happy shall he be who shall repay to thee the recompence which thou hast recompensed unto us.”

The idea is, who shall repay thee for thy treatment of us; or, as we should say in common language, “Who shall pay thee back?” That is, he will be esteemed a fortunate man who is made the instrument of inflicting deserved punishment on a city so guilty and so cruel.

He will acquire fame and honor by doing it; his name will be made known abroad and perpetuated among people. In fact, the name of Cyrus, who conquered Babylon, is among the names of the most celebrated of conquerors; and the manner in which he took Babylon and overthrew the government and kingdom, has given him a most eminent place among successful princes and conquerors.

The extension of righteous and fair judgment to such barbarity is horrifying, and it is a sobering thought well said: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."(Heb 10:31)

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:07:20 PM

Neurons: 3,972

A lot of snow today!

tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:10:57 AM

Neurons: 53,312
Dreamy wrote:
the Imprecatory Psalms present a realistic response in Old Testament times to wickedness and warfare in the natural realm.

Suggesting that at least some of the words in the Bible were written by people with the feelings of their times, rather than by people inspired by God.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:32:45 AM

Neurons: 313,060
almo 1 wrote:
A lot of snow today!

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:45:48 AM

Neurons: 3,972

Actually I'm in north part of Japan right now.

Ur such a terrific researcher!

Dreamy
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:03:11 PM

tunaafi wrote:
Dreamy wrote:
the Imprecatory Psalms present a realistic response in Old Testament times to wickedness and warfare in the natural realm.

Suggesting that at least some of the words in the Bible were written by people with the feelings of their times, rather than by people inspired by God.

Yes please, tunaafi, - with the first bit about feelings, but still with writer and speakers inspired to communicate for mankind's edification and salvation.

I don't like the "mechanical dictation" teaching which reduces all the writers to specifically chosen stenographers who in all cases automatically reproduced text word for word without any prior contemplation of their own.

There are however, of necessity, some examples of mechanical dictation such as in Revelation

Here we have John firstly being told to write what he sees:

Quote:
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.(Rev 1:11)
Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;(Rev 1:19)

Then in Chapter 2 John who is "in the Spirit" is told exactly what to write as reported speech in the 7 letters to the 7 ekklesias:

eg. Unto the angel of the ekklesia of Ephesus write; These things says he that holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; "I know your works, and your labour, and your patience, and how you can not bear them which are evil: and you have tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and have found them liars:"(Rev 2:1-2) etc.

While the following two passages appear to lend themselves to the Theory of Mechanical Dictation as it is known, differences in vocabulary, style, expression, and reflections of the writers' background point to them having some freedom in how they communicated what was revealed to them by God, and in technical terms this is known as Plenary Inspiration, simply meaning complete or full.

Paul the Apostle wrote:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(2 Timothy 3:16)

Peter the Apostle wrote:
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
(2Pe 1:20-21)

will
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:39:25 PM

Neurons: 4,152
No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord. Deuteronomy 23:1

Dreamy
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:01:37 PM

will wrote:
No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord. Deuteronomy 23:1 .

That's how tough Old Testament Law was, will:

Any believer who apostasises against the New Testament has it worse:
Quote:
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
(Hebrews 10:26-29)

Ebenezer Son
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 2:35:28 PM

Neurons: 3,215
Bedells wrote:
"It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right."

Job 32:9

I've been reading the Bible quite often, but have not come across this verse ever.
I like it brethren.
God bless!
My favorite is Job 16:16

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:25:18 PM

Ebenezer Son wrote:
My favorite is Job 16:16

My face is foul with weeping, and on my eyelids is the shadow of death;
(Job 16:16)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
(Psalm 23:4)

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.(Romans 6:3-4)

For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.(Romans 6:20-23)

hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:07:25 PM

Neurons: 411,793
Thank you so much, You know who I am, for this post....you do personify what God wants us to be "....Salt and Light in the world."

The Love Chapter - 1 Corinthians 13, is one of my favorites along with the others quoted below — We KNOW we serve an Awesome God ....thank you Dreamy, Ebenezer Son, You know who I am, DragOnspeaker, TheParser, Sarrriesfan, and Bedells for your posts...they are food for the soul......

LOVE CHAPTER
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13

"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."
Matthew 5:13-17

"...they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

And by far the greatest....
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:16-17

Be blessed, hedy mmm

http://www.biblegateway.com

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
You know who I am
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 9:46:14 PM

hedy mmm wrote:
Thank you so much, You know who I am, for this post....you do personify what God wants us to be "....Salt and Light in the world."

The Love Chapter - 1 Corinthians 13, is one of my favorites along with the others quoted below — We KNOW we serve an Awesome God ....thank you Dreamy, Ebenezer Son, You know who I am, DragOnspeaker, TheParser, Sarrriesfan, and Bedells for your posts...they are food for the soul......

LOVE CHAPTER
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13

"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."
Matthew 5:13-17

"...they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

And by far the greatest....
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:16-17

Be blessed, hedy mmm

http://www.biblegateway.com

How wonderful these versicles are!

The one that says that God sent his Son to save the world is exactly perfect!