The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

About Fridays through Mondays! Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 10:43:48 PM

Neurons: 410,070
I found 'Bad Days' legends interesting...thought I'd share.....

About Friday...
Apparently, there was no TGIF for our ancestors – no – they actually didn’t view Friday as a very great day. By 1656 (in easier to understand English) we come up with “Now Friday came, you old wives say, Of all the week’s the unluckiest day.(The old wives say eh?…maybe they felt this way because their husband’s would be home all weekend!)

About Saturday...
Knowing the Friday superstitions, you may think “okay then, I’ll wait until Saturday, but you know, it really wasn’t that much luckier." (1854) “Saturday’s flit will never sit” is a proverb of prediction with superstitious servants, who reluctantly enter upon a new service on that day. “It is not well to change situations on a Saturday. 'Saturday’s enter is a short residenter.’ ” That was 1899.

About Sunday...
Sunday is definitely reserved for worship. Ive heard of this one mentioned many times. That was sewing. Cutting or sewing on a Sunday was simply not done. “If you sewed on Sunday, the Devil would thread the needle.” In 1987, we find ‘Work done on a Sunday will come undone on the Monday.’ ” Sailors had their ideas on this matter of Sunday as well. You see, they figured it was actually fortunate to sail on a Sunday, but there was a condition. They had to figure a way to get around the fact that they were essentially going to work on a Sunday – “sabbath breaking”.

About Monday....
Monday’s are a bit more ambiguous. Of course, we have our fair share of misfortune for things going on on Monday, everywhere that is except Ireland, where they felt it was the most fortunate of beginnings. There are lots of things to do and not do on a Monday. Very few agreed with the Irish (I guess their weekend wasn’t long enough yet). The Scottish addressed the Irish in this way, “the idea is completely inverted in Ireland (as opposed to Scotland), Monday being accounted the most lucky day in the week … undoubtedly a relique of the ancient pagan worship of the Moon.” “Some days are considered here unlucky upon which to begin any work of importance .. Monday is one of those days.” In 1909 from Wales comes “Work begun on Monday will never be a week old.” (I’m not sure if that’s good or bad). “Any job started on a Monday was always likely to be finished quickly.”

From 1797, someone seemed to recognize how silly this could all get “Sally had so many unlucky days in her calendar, that a large portion of her time became of little use, because on these days she did not dare set about any new work. And she would have refused the best offer if made on a Friday.” (or any other day it seems.) I think we should readapt these practices – I don’t know about you, but a four day long weekend, every single weekend sounds like something I could get used to. How about you?

Just for fun, I’m adding the most famous days of the week poem, still in circulation to this day. There are, however, a few different versions – I’m going with the one I grew up hearing.

“Monday’s child is fair of face;
Tuesday’s child is full of grace;
Wednesday’s child is full of woe;
Thursday’s child has far to go;
Friday’s child is loving and giving;
Saturday’s child works hard for its living;
But the child born on the Sabbath is blithe and bonny and good on faith.”

I'm a Friday's child, at least Friday’s child seems to have gained some reprieve. Oh and PS. – I’m writing this on Indian & Chinese Tuesday!
hedy Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Dreamy
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 11:26:10 PM

Neurons: 7,723
"One Day At A Time"

I'm only human I'm just a man
Help me to believe in what I could be and all that I am
Show me the stairway that I have to climb
Lord for my sake teach me to take one day at a time.

One day at a time sweet Jesus that's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus and tomorrow may never be mine
So for my sake teach me to take one day at a time.

Do you remember when you walked among men
Well Jesus you know if you're looking below it's worse now than then
Pushing and shoving crowding my mind

One day at a time sweet Jesus that's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus and tomorrow may never be mine

Yes, just for my sake teach me to take one day at a time...Anxious

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:35:39 AM

Neurons: 3,094
Welcome..well researched...hedy...I am Tuesday's child.Applause

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:39:04 AM

Thank you Dreamy, for the gentle reminder "...Lord for my sake teach me to take one day at a time." Life is hard, but I know that "He'll never leave me nor forsake me." Joshua 1:5 & Hebrews 13:5

I have your beautiful hymn to memory, (I only changed the last word at the end of the first stanza from 'a man' to 'woman' for the two syllables)...my mom and I would sing duets..that was one of our favorites. (I sing at Rotary functions, a supper club, and in my church). You must download, "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe, a Christian Rock band....the lyrics are awesome.

I enjoy TFD...exercising my brain, accumulating neurons and rarely participating on the forum, (I have a business to run)....and I've forged friendships with TFDers who are God fearers...NOT A RELIGION — A RELATIONSHIP....

I don't believe that it was a coincidence my posting/you responding...A coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous...and still send me words of comfort from halfway around the world!

Be blessed, hedy

hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:01:25 AM

TMe wrote:
Welcome..well researched...hedy...I am Tuesday's child.
Applause

From your posts TMe, you have proven to have many redeeming qualities, you are 'Full of Grace' and its the best, because of its meaning....mine is not too bad...'loving and giving'...yes, I do a lot of research, love it and love loving....
hedy

Dreamy
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:03:02 AM

Neurons: 7,723
hedy mmm wrote:
You must download, "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe, a Christian Rock band....the lyrics are awesome.

Thanks hedy mmm, this song plays regularly on the Radio Rhema network here in NZ.

Good to know you are AIM - Active In Ministry. Pray

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:09:50 AM

Neurons: 282,696
I'm a Thursday-child. Here's some advice from myths/customs of Hinduism:

1.Those whose father is alive should NOT shave.
2.We should not Shave on Thursday (because wealth might go away) and Saturday.
3.There are people who think that cutting hair on Saturdays help cut down Saade Sati of Shani Dev.
4.It is also believed that one should not wash their hair or clothes on a Thursday.
5.There is also a myth for not cutting hair or shaving on Tuesday

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:37:58 AM

Neurons: 3,094
Jyrkkä Jätkä: I'm a Thursday-child. Here's some advice from myths/customs of Hinduism:

1.Those whose father is alive should NOT shave.
2.We should not Shave on Thursday (because wealth might go away) and Saturday.
3.There are people who think that cutting hair on Saturdays help cut down Saade Sati of Shani Dev.
4.It is also believed that one should not wash their hair or clothes on a Thursday.
5.There is also a myth for not cutting hair or shaving on Tuesday

Except the myth at #1, others are correct

I am a layman.