The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Good books, webpages to learn Russian? Options
Ni un voto al PRIAN PVEM
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:57:39 AM

Neurons: 54,261
I was reading the RT website to learn Russian but I ended up lost. I need something easier. I was reading Russian for Dummies but I didn't see many Cyrillic letters and I want to learn to write those pretty symbols

L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:19:52 AM

Neurons: 843,087
Dear Ni un voto al PRIAN PVEM:

Okay personally the best book I've used was from Berlitz "Essential Russian"

I have the 2nd edition (C)2008 ISBN 0-27793-68460-6

It came with a CD so you could listen to native speakers.

It has an entire section on the alphabet. It also keeps the grammar simple which was something I really needed. The dialogs were not great but at least the lexicon was useful. The other reason I liked this book was each chapter had exercises so I could practice what I was learning. I am self taught so having a way to practice the writing and comprehension was important.

You should also have a good dictionary. Due to space and travel issues I found a simple pocket dictionary from Langenscheidt worked well for me. You should have a dictionary that is Russian - (your native language) / (your native language) - Russian. Mine is Russian-English / English-Russian

Finally I'm a visual learner so I find flash cards useful for learning words. I bought a set from Visual education "Russian Vocabulary Cards" There are 1000 cards in the set. The cards are English - Russian. They give the root word and then how the word changes with each case. (I still suck when it comes to that) plus it gives the parts of speech for each word.

Here are three websites that I used but to be honest the above resources were more useful.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/case.html (A site for learning Russian noun-cases)

http://russian.speak7.com/russian_cases.htm (Another site for learning Russian noun-cases)

http://learningrussian.net/ (A site for learning Russian language and culture)

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
www.kuhnishkaf.ru
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:52:28 AM

Neurons: 5
good
Elaine Gukova
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:33:29 AM

Neurons: 210
For what purpose you need Russian? It is a difficult lagguage. I am Russian. Nowadays all educated people speak English in Russia or another country.
Andrei Kuratov (Андрей Куратов)
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 6:24:46 PM

Neurons: 1,945
You may try this. You will soon learn how to search for more updates, websites etc on Russian language at Quora.