The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Political Civility Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:30:05 AM

Neurons: 21,455
Thank you, Lotje.

I also hope that you are having a nice day.

Here in Southern California, we are having UNusually cold weather. We are not accustomed to it. People come to Southern California because it REALLY is SUNNY SoCal. (Remember: That's why the motion picture industry moved out here to a place they named "Hollywood.")

My wardrobe contains almost no clothing for cold weather.

Other parts of the United States regularly experience snow, heavy rains, tornadoes, hurricanes, extreme heat, etc. How do people tolerate it? Why don't they move here? Well, I guess human beings can accustom themselves to anything. Bless their little hearts.

Southern California is almost perfect all year round.

As I said, we have had extreme cold and even an astonishing amount of rain this month. We are quite indignant. How dare our perfect weather desert us!

Well, it's so nice to talk about pleasant things, such as the weather, grammar, ice cream (it's so delicious!), etc.

Hope everyone in your beautiful country gets a chance to enjoy the sun.

progpen
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:41:20 AM

Neurons: 186,406
Lotje1000 wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
"Not all Trump supporters are racist, but all of them decided that racism isn't a deal breaker."

I'm just going to repeat this hear because it hits the nail on the head.

How people love to excuse themselves from issues that don't directly concern them by saying "but not all X are Y!".

I'll have to find the article that goes into this in more detail. They interviewed Trump supporters and asked if they shared several of the more divisive views that Trump spoke of. Their responses showed that they tried to distance themselves from the divisive issues, however, they felt that they could passively support them through someone else (Trump).

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:01:44 AM

Neurons: 40,256
Hi again, Parser.

As for your prediction that Liberals will bring down a "good" man, it won't be them who will do it. He will do it himself. (Apparently Torture is back on the table today.) However, I recall your prediction that he would not win, so my prediction may be worth nothing too. Whistle Actually I may be way off base, as he may succeed in doing what he says, while not caring about the repercussions for America's friendships and thus to America itself.

Interesting about your weather, Parser. I think you must have sent the warm weather to Ontario. It is 44F and we have green grass instead of two feet or more of snow and below zero temperatures which is our norm for January - and the forecast is for more of the same. We actually don't mind this warming climate change trend. Whistle

Too bad it also brings a lot of extremes in weather. Alberta wasn't so happy with the huge forest fires they couldn't contain - similar to CA. Might earthquakes have something to do with people preferring to live elsewhere? Nowadays they build to earthquake standards but you don't really want more people with the water drying up do you?

I hope you get back to your sunny days and normal temperatures, also have a nice day, and enjoy your luck in living there.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:23:33 PM

Yesterday President Trump and Prime Minister May of the United Kingdom had a joint news conference.

Everyone agrees that President Trump acted very presidential.

He was very gracious toward the prime minister.

He took questions from two British reporters who asked him very pointed questions. President Trump did not lose his temper with them. He even used some humor.

It is always so nice to observe political civility.

Many of us are so delighted that Mr. Trump is our president.

But we feel that Secretary Clinton and her supporters should be treated with respect and their concerns should be addressed.

(One journalist was recently suspended for posting some rude remarks about the First Lady. I believe that the journalist even mocked the First Lady's accent. There is no excuse for such behavior.)

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:34:57 PM

Hi Parser.

Yes, isn't it great when people and politicians act with graciousness and civility as it should be? After all May and those politicians are guests of the United States.

But my parents always taught me that we should treat our own family better than we do guests. I don't remember how many years ago it was that it first started that members of Canadian Parliament began to mumble and say nasty things about the opposing party during parliament. I assume Canada's parliament is not the only government where members are not civil to other representatives, their own "family".

You are right about no excuse for mocking the First Lady's accent. It is only right that you complain, just as we complained when the ex First Lady was called an "ape in heels". No excuses for either! It is just not necessary and says more about the speaker than the person they mock.

Why do people do that? To make themselves feel superior?

How is your weather? Friends from AZ emailed me that their weather is not as good this winter - and she is blaming California storms. Whistle

Edited - I just checked LA weather - 73 F and sunny sounds pretty good to me!

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:17:55 PM

Neurons: 146,401
"Political civility" is enforced in the UK Parliament (though not so strongly as in earlier times.

Language and expressions used in the Chamber must conform with a number of rules. Erskine May (the "bible" of parliamentary procedure) states that:
"good temper and moderation are the characteristics of parliamentary language".
Objection has been taken both to individual words and to sentences and constructions - in the case of the former, to insulting, coarse, or abusive language; and of the latter, to imputation of false motives, charges of lying or being drunk, and misrepresentation of the words of another. Among words to which objection has been taken by Speakers have been, blackguard, coward, git, guttersnipe, hooligan, rat, swine, stoolpigeon and traitor. The Speaker will direct a Member who has used an unparliamentary word or phrase to withdraw it. Members sometimes use considerable ingenuity to circumvent these rules (as when, for instance, Winston Churchill substituted "terminological inexactitude" for "exaggeration to the point of a lie") but they must be careful to obey the Speaker's directions, or being required to withdraw from the Chamber following a refusal to retract an offending expression.

One person asked one of the sergeants-at-arms "Why are MPs not allowed to call another a liar?" on a tour of the Commons, and was told that frankly, if they were allowed to call each other liars they would do nothing else all day and get even less real work done.

One Labour MP, Dennis Skinner, famously said "half the Tory members opposite are crooks". When asked to apologise due to this being unparliamentary language, Skinner replied "OK, half the Tory members aren't crooks."

Sometimes, listening to a parliamentary debate can be quite amusing.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 11:35:15 PM

Drago,

Good one.

Your post about Skinner reminded me of one of my Dad's favorite jokes.

I forget who and why -

But someone had publicly told someone else to go to hell. He was made to publicly apologize.

So he stood up, addressed the person wronged and said, "You know when I told you to go to Hell? Well, don't go".

I am having a fuzzy amused feeling right now thinking about how my Dad laughed and laughed at this old joke.

(You and I are the only ones up and on the Forum at this hour. You must be working, are not busy, and trying to keep awake. I am just putting my iPad to bed before we go there too.)

TheParser
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 7:16:40 AM

Dear young people:

You are just starting your careers and adult lives.

This very elderly person urges you to conduct yourself in a civil manner when you discuss politics at school, at work, on the Web, etc.

You may have noticed that at the present time in the United States, there is much political incivility. I am ashamed that some of my fellow old people are among the biggest offenders.

If you see demonstrations in the street, at school, or at work, try to keep away. I know that you will face peer pressure to participate. It will take courage to resist.

If you see rude, crude, uncivil, or hateful Internet posts, just skip them.

When someone sneezes, you move away in order not to be infected, don't you? Well, you mustn't let yourself become infected by angry and hateful words, either.

Remember: you want your children to be mature and rational human beings. That is why you must set the example.

Always express your political views in a civil manner. Be courteous. Always use the appropriate title for every elected official. Do not mock the names of officials with whom you disagree.

At the present time, political civility has disappeared from the United States. (One celebrity is so bitter that she has even called for the military to take over the government!)

progpen
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 8:46:57 AM

Neurons: 186,406
Dear young people.

This very elderly person urges you to conduct yourself as the situation requires. Treat those around you with respect, but always defend yourself, whether at school, work or on the Internet.

You may have noticed that at the present time in the US, there is much political incivility. I am very proud to say that millions of my fellow people are among the biggest offenders.

If you see Internet posts, research them to ensure they deal in facts. If they don't deal in facts, but rather in mindless fantasy of extremism, make sure others know that the subject matter is false and inform the source of the false information that they are dealing in false information.

Be wary of people who only want or allow voices saying what they agree with. Those people are dangerous, not only to you, but to the country and the world.

Remember that you want your children to be mature and rational human beings. That is why you must set the example and stand up to defend the weak and the poor even when those in power vilify you.

Express your views in a civil manner, but never be soft and always defend yourself. Give respect where it is deserved. Give resistance where it is required. Mock, satirize, deride and hold public officials to account for their actions when they have become dangerous to the country. Always remember that your words, when used responsibly, are more powerful than any weapon and that means that your words are more valuable than you may understand. Those in power will try to take that from you, so always be on your guard.

At the present time, political civility has become something desirable to the extremists. This was not the case before, as extremists freely threatened the previous President and anyone who disagreed with them. Now the President and his administration behave like spoiled children, and have shown only hatred, ignorance and malice toward the majority of the rest of the world. The current president mocks the disabled, poor and the weak, stirs up fear and hatred in others. The current administration is being led by far right extremists and they are trying to harm as many people as they can as quickly as they can before the keys to the kingdom are taken away again.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.