The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What is Life about? Options
kamilion
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:53:31 PM

Neurons: 488
My original question is 'What is life' but then I realised answers could get quite tricky in terms of all sorts of definitions. What I am more interested in hearing is your opinion on what is it we should aim for throughout living our lives during its limited length?

De omnibus dubitandum est.
Wobbles
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:39:04 PM

Neurons: 1,369

Life falls into place if everyone goes forth with love in their hearts.

Joe
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:58:12 PM

Neurons: 341,278
kamilion wrote:
My original question is 'What is life' but then I realised answers could get quite tricky in terms of all sorts of definitions. What I am more interested in hearing is your opinion on what is it we should aim for throughout living our lives during its limited length?

What we should aim for as we go through life must depend upon what our needs are. If we are poor we should aim to be less poor. If we are in uncertain health we should aim to be in better health by whatever means are available to us. If, on the other hand, we are satisfied with our lot, we should aim to improve the lot of others. In short, we should aim to be, or to become, able to help those in need.

I remember, therefore I am.
kamilion
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:34:22 PM

Jacobusmaximus says 'In short, we should aim to be, or to become, able to help those in need. '
It is very human thought indeed. If hypothetically everyone lived their life in line with this idea we would probably be no longer in need to pay tax since at present to help those in financial need or health difficulties is in government agenda and the 'aid' is distributed via tax contributions.
What about imaginary situation when we all do not know our social circumstances nor our abilities or and disabilities - some sort of veil of ignorance which blocks off this knowledge at original position - what is it we would all come to an agreement on the sense of life? What is that point or intention of life we should all try for?

Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:36:09 PM

Neurons: 39,250
Hey Jacobus -

I'm really curious about the first two stated aims, and why we should wait until we are satisfied with our lot (smug?) before we start helping others?

I'm not sure if you're being the oft-parodied 'tight' Scot, or whether you are expressing a surprising degree of what sounds to me like "Me-first"?

It's not the same creed that I would use to define what our aims in life are anyway.

I don't think I would qualify 'our aim should be to improve the lot of others..." with "only once we ourselves are no longer poor/disenfranchised/not 'comfortable'."

I don't think there's much point to human life at all, if we aren't prepared to help no matter what our circumstances. If you're poor that doesn't mean you have lost your dignity: - you still have things to give: your time, your ears, your company, your enthusiasm, your strong arms to help lift things,your eyes, your patience, your support.

I really don't believe having money and/or security has anything to do with our ability to help others.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:38:22 PM

Neurons: 29,211
Perhaps to live to the utmost of all virtues..and the greatest of all is love.

Ditto Wobbles.

"Now" is the eternal present.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 2:58:08 AM

Romany wrote:
Hey Jacobus -

I'm really curious about the first two stated aims, and why we should wait until we are satisfied with our lot (smug?) before we start helping others?

I'm not sure if you're being the oft-parodied 'tight' Scot, or whether you are expressing a surprising degree of what sounds to me like "Me-first"?

It's not the same creed that I would use to define what our aims in life are anyway.

I don't think I would qualify 'our aim should be to improve the lot of others..." with "only once we ourselves are no longer poor/disenfranchised/not 'comfortable'."

I don't think there's much point to human life at all, if we aren't prepared to help no matter what our circumstances. If you're poor that doesn't mean you have lost your dignity: - you still have things to give: your time, your ears, your company, your enthusiasm, your strong arms to help lift things,your eyes, your patience, your support.

I really don't believe having money and/or security has anything to do with our ability to help others.

I hadn't thought of it like that Romany. Of course you are right - we should always aim to help others in need - where we can. But if we can't, we should aim to equip ourselves so that we have more to give. A bit like putting on the oxygen mask in an aeroplane when the pressurization drops.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 3:22:21 AM

kamilion wrote:
Jacobusmaximus says 'In short, we should aim to be, or to become, able to help those in need. '
It is very human thought indeed. If hypothetically everyone lived their life in line with this idea we would probably be no longer in need to pay tax since at present to help those in financial need or health difficulties is in government agenda and the 'aid' is distributed via tax contributions.
What about imaginary situation when we all do not know our social circumstances nor our abilities or and disabilities - some sort of veil of ignorance which blocks off this knowledge at original position - what is it we would all come to an agreement on the sense of life? What is that point or intention of life we should all try for?

This is beyond me, kamilion. Too deep. The nearest I can come to such a scenario is being shipwrecked and landing on a desert island with a handful of strangers. Where do you go from there? I imagine that the survival instinct kicks in at an early stage. Who can you trust among the survivors when all you have to go on is your own basic judgement? You will almost certainly gravitate towards like-minded people and almost certainly appoint a leader. Any rules you make will be focussed on how best to survive on the island, and how best to get off it and back to civilization. Everything will be secondary to those priorities. Survival and recovery would be the point and intention to live for.

Romany
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 4:43:57 AM

Neurons: 39,250
Hey, Jacob - Yeah, well I knew that you didn't really mean it like that (at least, I presumed you didn't)and in my mind, when I wrote the post, I was being kind of tongu-in-cheek-ish. But when I re-read it just now it didn't come off that way at all.

Thanks for realising I wasn't being contentious - I should have posted one of those little whistling icons to make clear I was only half serious

cheers, mate.
Hope2
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 5:53:49 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Wobbles wrote:

Life falls into place if everyone goes forth with love in their hearts.

Joe

Applause Applause Applause

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Teluu
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 2:43:19 PM

Neurons: 1,412
Life is succession of events.

I'm a free minded person!
kamilion
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:54:40 AM

jacobusmaximus said: "...The nearest I can come to such a scenario is being shipwrecked and landing on a desert island with a handful of strangers..."
That's fine JM don't worry. Basically what you have been trying for is still too realistic to be, which I understand since it's not easy to detach ourselves from everyday life circumstances.
I was more heading towards abstractedly imaginary thinking which perhaps requires temporary disconnection from our place. Maybe you could try - and that's only an advise - to move from the desert island to the Space and try again? I hope this is little bit more unusual situation that is not likely to happen to us (yet)!
Thanks anyway for your honest effort. Well done.

kamilion
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:58:55 AM

And of course thank you all for your opinion although it does tend to be rather a definition than what you think Life should be about. But as I say fair enough as your replies are much appreciated.

kamilion
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:48:19 AM

What do you then think one's life should be about?

SirEvidence
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:54:55 PM

Neurons: 1,583
Kamilion wrote: What do you think one’s life should be about?

Life, being a choice-less cosmic phenomenon, is surely meant for living. Like anything else in the universe, anything that exists has its peculiar nature. The nature of things dictates what things can and cannot do. What a planet can do, a dog cannot – and vice versa. It is the nature of life to give all living entities, from the microscopic ones to the gigantic, the impulse to exist, to do all they can to thrive and avoid their premature death. Only humans, possessors of the conceptual faculty, can have goals for their lives that go beyond their survival and avoidance of their premature dying. Humans can act upon the environment and change it for the purpose of improving their living condition. That is what all humans actually do with their conceptual faculty. So, the deeper question is not what every human being should do with one’s life, as if there ought to be some ideal formula or model of living that all should emulate, but in what way each human being should find fulfillment according to one’s own unique nature.
Trichakra
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:09:13 AM

Neurons: 161
Falling in Love with God makes life so much more wonderful!
MelissaMe
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:02:19 AM

Neurons: 342,748
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Romany wrote:
Hey Jacobus -

I hadn't thought of it like that Romany. Of course you are right - we should always aim to help others in need - where we can. But if we can't, we should aim to equip ourselves so that we have more to give. A bit like putting on the oxygen mask in an aeroplane when the pressurization drops.

That's exactly the thought that came to my mind!

This is my only now.
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:50:28 PM

Neurons: 57,384
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

MU-HAHAHA

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 7:40:41 PM

Neurons: 814
Epiphileon wrote:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

MU-HAHAHA

Sounds like waaaay too much effort.
At least good people get a day off once a week; bad people just have to come up with excuses to skip work.
Shulamit
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:39:51 PM

Neurons: 48,633
Eoin Riedy wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:

MU-HAHAHA

Sounds like waaaay too much effort.
At least good people get a day off once a week; bad people just have to come up with excuses to skip work.

This was my first huge laugh of the day. (I've had smaller ones, but this was the first huge laugh).

But, Eoin Riedy: I must disagree with you about the effort involved in such unapologetic wickedness and schadenfreude. It's actually very easy ........... for those who are predisposed to that attitude. That's what they know and that's what they do best. Being compassionate, sweet and giving of spirit and energy would ravage their energies. They also don't feel they need to come up with any excuses. See? Easy!

Sometimes, being a person of principle is a pain in the arse.

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 11:21:00 AM

Neurons: 66,421
Theories galore. Truth eludes.Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:19:24 PM

Neurons: 40,424
A good thread to resurrect -

My opinion - Working towards having good relationships at work and at play, working hard and getting satisfaction from a job well done in your career and in every little job you do, maybe even choosing a career where you can use your talents to help others in some way but at least working at something you enjoy doing, having a balance between work and play (having hobbies), keeping yourself and those you are responsible for healthy and cared for physically and emotionally, doing your best to help out even if it is only a smile for your neighbor who just lost his wife or even tears shed with him, and living every day to the fullest while being mindful that the present is all we have. The past is gone, the future is elusive, but what you are doing right now is the present.

Don't get so wrapped up in the routines of everyday living that you forget to laugh and have fun. So take time to hug your loved ones, read to your children, enjoy music, dance, read, work out physically, be observant of beauty in all its forms around you, stay curious and learn forever. Every day.

I posted the following verse on TFD before, I think, and I have it on my fridge to remind myself -

The past is written, close the book on pages sad or gay,
In the future do not look, but live today, today!

I still like Hobbes' answer -

I have missed Wobbles and thought of him often - he had a great scientific mind but unfortunately had a terminal illness. He has not been on TFD since 2014 so I fear the worst. He summed up everything I just said in his post.

"Life falls into place if everyone goes forth with love in their hearts.

Joe
"

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 10:10:22 AM

Neurons: 191,278
Life is what happens while you are making other plans.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 11:55:41 AM

Neurons: 66,421
Life is a secret and HE ,who put a small perfect dynamo to create, the current to beat the heart, knows this secret.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
will
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 12:45:06 PM

Neurons: 4,152
Life is the interesting bit between the non-existence before your birth and the non-existence after your death. Think

leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:32:19 AM

Neurons: 25,716
It's really quite simple: our only purpose is to find joy, and to share it.

Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."