The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I'm dreaming of a made-in-China-lights-free Christmas! Options
MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 11:03:38 AM

Neurons: 342,748
I have been researching online and in stores. All I am looking for is enough tree lights for one small 5' tall Christmas tree. NOT made in China! ANYWHERE but China!!! But my quest has been fruitless, thus far. Lights. Blue. Any color. LED. Any type. Nowhere!

d'oh!

Brick wall

My research turns up stuff like this. Not talking

Quote:
I'm dreaming of a made-in-China-lights-free Christmas.

Imagine your beautiful evergreen decorated with ornaments collected over the years, the latest kid-made creations, twinkling lights, and a star or angel at the top. You sit on your comfy couch with a mug of cocoa in your hand, listening to Nat King Coles' Christmas album and watching the kids look at the gifts and try to guess what they contain. You wonder: Midnight Mass or morning Mass? Caroling with the Smiths or the Murphys? Do we have time to make tamales with the Rodrieguez family this year?

Contrast this lovely image with the reality of working at a Christmas lights factory in China. Not only are you far from family and living in cramped and unsanitary dormitories, you don't know what this "Christmas" is; you would be in trouble with the party if you insisted on celebrating the religious aspects of this holiday off of which your country and corporations make so much money. Your fingers are cramped with the constant twisting to make the Christmas lights that Westerners seem to buy every year. You've heard that some people buy new ones simply because the old ones are tangled; it is easier to buy new ones on sale than to untangle, so countless strings of lights fill landfills. You don't want to think about the lead that you are exposed to every day; your family needs the money you send to their poor province.

When I look at my Christmas tree, I remember everything that happened in past years. Every ornament has a memory attached to it. I have an ornament we bought on our honeymoon; I have old ornaments that I made myself. Listening to songs from the old country, we talk about times past while we decorate the tree and drink the required eggnog (regular store-bought cut in half with milk and with nutmeg on top). I want my Christmas memories to be built on love, not the discrimination of workers far away.

Why am I focusing on Chinese-made Christmas lights? We have to start somewhere. Also, the manufacture of the Christmas lights is especially environmentally dangerous to the earth and the workers. I haven't purchased Christmas (or Easter) decorations or other holiday-themed items made in China for the past six years. My breaking point was a commemorative John Paul II ornament made in China sold at the local J.C.Penny. I just couldn't take it anymore. I know that the United States has basically sold itself to China for its cheap goods and labor. I know that wood and even fish from Oregon and Washington are sent to China to be processed and then sent back to the U.S. to be sold. I also know that many other countries (yes, even the U.S.) is discriminatory to its workers in the name of cheap goods (dollar store, anyone?). But the combination of China and Christmas feels especially ominous this year.

China is now an economic superpower, thanks in part to the West's love of cheap goods that they supply. We tolerate their strict communism on social issues because the Chinese government seems to have become capitalists on the grandest scale. Many might be envious of Chinese-style full-scale capitalism that is without the fetters of environmental regulations and workers' rights. We ignore their one-child policy and everything that that entails. A woman can be forced into an eight-month abortion because she already has a seven-year old child. We look the other way and wait for the Christmas lights to go on sale at Walmart or Target or our favorite store that is so much hipper than Walmart and Target.

What can we do? The problem is huge; the horse is out of the barn, and China will always supply all our Christmas 'needs'. That might be true, but we should start somewhere. I am challenging all my family and friends and blog readers to start by not buying Christmas lights made in China!

This is my only now.
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 2:27:48 PM

Neurons: 2,371,842
Solution: a Christmas without a tree. I can manage it. Can you? Stop bashing China. Everyone sounds like spoiled child these days.

Chinese product is everywhere these days because they are the best for the money. There was a time when american product was all over the world.

Keeping dreaming. That is what most of us do these days. And whine, and point fingers. China stole our jobs, got all our money and got rich. China abuse their workers, pollute their rivers, and has sweat shop all over the country!

Try to have a happy Christmas without a tree.
MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:25:44 PM

I'm not whining, I'm angry. There's a difference.

I'll have a tree, with decorations. Just no lights made in China.

And Made in USA isn't the be-all and end-all of what's best, not by a long shot! The USA has more than it's share of pollution, and that's a fact! And poor treatment of its workers. All I'm trying to get is...are? Lights. For my tree.

So, no lights. Nothing about whining. Sorrow. Nostalgia.

And anger. Made in China doesn't mean the best for the money. It just means cheaper. That's wrong! Talk about high carbon footprint!!! Brick wall Shame on you d'oh! Speak to the hand

What you're hearing that you are interpreting as being spoiled children is the sound of weary anger.

This is my only now.
redgriffin
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 6:01:49 PM

Neurons: 87,607
I guess you could always go and look for lights that fit your needs and weren't Made in China they must exist somewhere. I do without a tree because I would buy a live one and I would have to find a place to plant it after Christmas so I do without and don't miss it.
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:33:56 PM

Neurons: 2,371,842
MelissaMe wrote:
I'm not whining, I'm angry. There's a difference.

I'll have a tree, with decorations. Just no lights made in China.

And Made in USA isn't the be-all and end-all of what's best, not by a long shot! The USA has more than it's share of pollution, and that's a fact! And poor treatment of its workers. All I'm trying to get is...are? Lights. For my tree.

So, no lights. Nothing about whining. Sorrow. Nostalgia.

And anger. Made in China doesn't mean the best for the money. It just means cheaper. That's wrong! Talk about high carbon footprint!!! Brick wall Shame on you d'oh! Speak to the hand

What you're hearing that you are interpreting as being spoiled children is the sound of weary anger.

No, not you.

I read many comment online, and as long as China is concerned, many people just can not make a sound, objective judgement. There will be no solution after that.

Propaganda machine in the west runs as smooth as those in the East. People found out that they are duped, they will be angry. Prolonged period of this condition will result in weary anger. US benefited greatly from WTO by Bill Clinton. China seems benefited more. Offshoring job is the selling out of US middle class. Multinational corporations and elite made all the money. And then the blame game: China is the black sheep.

Chinese are earning more these days. More in the future. Chinese jobs are going to Vietnam and other countries where man-power is cheaper.

People forgot Ford raised salary, and corporations prospered with US middle class.

Now let's blame China. It is easy to buy and sell.

MelissaMe
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 10:28:23 AM

Ah. I think I see what you are saying.

I'm angry. And I am angry that China has lousy business practices. I am equally angry at American lousy business practices! But I am not blaming China for the lack of alternatives for Christmas tree lights. I am angry that I, personally, have no way of checking for Chinese businesses that use safe materials to manufacture products.

No one twisted the arms of the retailers here and forced them to import Chinese made goods. China isn't to blame for American trade policies.

I don't see Made in America and buy it. I do due diligence and find out what is in it, first. Too much poison is in every single thing out there in the marketplace. Brick wall

I'm angry at how the process is so messed up.

And I am angry at propaganda machines

This is my only now.
will
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 9:29:37 AM

Neurons: 4,152
On this ‘Made in USA’ subject – which I only scanned, so may be misunderstanding the gist – I get the feeling that, if Trump follows through with his plans, worldwide ‘Made in China’ is going to become a label to actively support. China is keen to base it’s and the global economy on clean energy and green tech. If the US goes rouge on climate change action, American imports will, at the very least, be subject to increased tariffs and thus more expensive.

How about these?

From their FAQ section "Where are your Christmas lights made?"
Quote:
Holiday LEDs purchases only from suppliers that have met the highest standards for compliance with the FLA. But it goes beyond mere compliance. Frankly, we have wonderful relationships with our suppliers in China, built through the years on friendship and mutual trust.

MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 12:02:48 PM

I've actually dropped the idea of ever getting a string of Christmas lights.

My thoughts are on individual hanging LED lights, instead. They could be very small, and easily placed exactly where I want them!

This is my only now.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:10:54 AM

Neurons: 146,401
Hi Melissa - still not "Made in the USA", but have you tried buying "Fairtrade" products - not a specific company, but various companies which specifically work with small traders in "Third World" countries. They are supposed to be inspected (though I don't know who by) as giving a fair wage to their workers.

This one is British and trades mainly with Nepal, but I'm sure you'll find others.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:40:12 PM

Neurons: 814
Get an old aluminum tree and a color wheel.
Of course, you could be very traditional and use candles! Just make sure they're from range free bees.