The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Secret Thoughts Options
money143
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 5:27:50 PM

Neurons: 4,348
Hi everyone, I would like to know does everyone have secret thoughts? If yes, what is your idea of secret thoughts? Are they helpful or destructible?

Thanks in advance.

What you give power to, has power over you.
Blodybeef
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 12:49:47 AM

Neurons: 242,758
Life would be very simple and easy without people having secret thoughts. But if you knew a person well enough, you'd be guessing their secret thoughts, sometimes correctly.

Even toddlers have secret thoughts. They spill them out somehow, and parents do understand them even from the way their children stands.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Shulamit
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 4:55:08 PM

Neurons: 48,633
Secret thoughts are part of what makes us human, if I am understanding your definition of a secret thought.

I can only speak for myself, but my brain isn't ever running on idle. I have thoughts going through my head all the time. Even when I'm asleep, the wheels and the gears are spinning and connecting. Secret thoughts, as opposed to that unspoken stream of cognitive (and quasi-cognitive) thinking, are usually fairly well formed thoughts, ideas, visions, et al., that we do not share with others. That's sort of the definition of secret.

There are a lot of reasons not to share them. Sometimes they are embarrassing, sometimes, we don't even know where they come from, as they've launched themselves in our minds unbidden, and we don't want even to be near them. Some of them are ugly, or don't subscribe to our own moral and ethical codes, but are our passing thoughts, nonetheless. Frequently, or at least for me, the germ of ideas, unformed logical or inspirational sequences, are not to be shared because they're not finished yet and I don't want to break my uninterrupted process. Another reason would be that we'd like to disown the secret thoughts and not be identified with them. I'm sure there are more reasons.

When you ask if they are helpful, of course my answer would be, yes. Even if they are those awful passing thoughts that arrive from Lord-only-knows where and deeply disturb us, they are at least instructive in that they remind us of who we are by jarring us with who we are not. Many secret thoughts are wonderful and just aren't to be shared. We all have private selves (OR, note to my family of origin: we should be allowed to have private selves).

The last word of that last sentence of yours is maybe a typo or a word used incorrectly? "Destructible", means capable of being destroyed. Did you mean that? If you did, I don't think you can destroy a thought, though if you leave them alone and don't worry them a lot, they fade and disappear. But if you meant, "destructive," (destroys things), as I said, in my opinion, secret thoughts don't have to be destructive at all.

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
money143
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:35:52 PM

Neurons: 4,348
Hi Shulamit,

Thanks for your amazing response.

I read a quote somewhere it said 'you are your secret thoughts', hence the curiosity.

Yes and sorry about the typo I meant to say destructive thoughts (if they have capabilities to destroy things) and yes they do have in my opinion, because thoughts become things unless you learn to control them through meditation.

What you give power to, has power over you.
Shulamit
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 2:21:46 AM

Neurons: 48,633
Thank you emensely for your, "Thank you".

I agree completely that secret thoughts can be destructive.

Do you know that inner critic, the one that derides you, chastises you for your behavior, beats you about the heart and soul for your awful awful inexcusable inadequacies, sneers at your attempts, drills you for your failures and dismisses your successes? Yes, that inner voice, the harping kamikazi who interrupts your inspirations, your plans and decisions with, "You're wrong! You're not good enough to do that, and besides, no one likes you!" And then it keeps reminding you about all your humiliating defeats.

Sounds like I'm all too familiar with that nasty little voice, doesn't it.

To one extent or another, we all have inner voices. Some of them are helpful guides,whispering sages, a conscience who acts as a best friend. Yeah, but SOME of those inner voices can be life crushing villains. We don't tell others about those secret thoughts. Those are as self-destructive as secret thoughts can get.

So, yes, I agree with you. (Now I'd best shove that thing back in its cell).

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
Acd4u
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 5:38:58 AM

Neurons: 4,463
Shhh Hello People
If you could see my (SECRET THOUGHTS)!!
Perhaps you would run awayPray
TheParser
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 8:52:37 AM

Neurons: 22,062
money143 wrote:
I would like to know does everyone have secret thoughts?

In my humble opinion, the answer is OF COURSE.

That is why human beings are very dangerous creatures.

You never know what a person is thinking.

Sometimes a smiling person is thinking about how he can do something bad to you.

Sometimes a non-smiling person is thinking about how he can do something good for you.

The lesson: Approach every single human being with caution. Be polite but always cautious. You never know what lurks in the minds of people. (Think of those "friends" of yours who disappointed you; think of all those people who got divorced when they discovered what their spouse was really like, etc.)

Oh, and don't forget: human beings are notorious liars and hypocrites.
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 10:36:15 AM

Neurons: 40,818

In direct opposition to the Parsar, I have found human beings, all over the world, differ very little. I should hate to go through life scared and afraid of my fellow passenger on this Voyage of Life. I expect, with all the travelling and teaching and performing and stuff I do, I have met, lived with,taught, worked beside,talked to, become friendly with thousands of people in my life so far. I've only ever met 2 people, ever, who were evil.

So I actually rejoice in the fact that getting to know someone will lead to them sharing some of those private thoughts, dreams, ideals...and sometimes absolutely crazy things we all have going through our minds.

We all put on a bit of a mask in public. But the excitement and joy one gets from making friends is getting to know the *REAL* person beneath the mask - the one who has all the crazy ideas and private thoughts - and sharing the 'You' that is also not often on public display!.

To me, the world is a wonderful, exciting place to be - and the people in it, an old cliche used to state, are merely friends you haven't met yet. (Except for the liars and hypocrites! But then, have only ever come across a handful of those, too.)
almo 1
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 11:35:45 AM

Neurons: 4,658

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5054239/

Female powerlifter who began body building at 14 unveils astonishing photographs of her jaw-dropping physique

* Not so secret - perhaps

Ben10G
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:55:17 AM

Neurons: 31
THe Moment I read the Word Secret. I thought about my Little Diary onto which I write almost everything I am dealing on a daily basis. So Yes My private little diary is my Secret Words.