The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The human spirit is a milk carton. Options
merchant
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 9:34:19 PM

Neurons: 47,634
It is said that most of us apparently use 10% of our brains capacity. This is because apparently our thinking is impeded by our "character armor". Since many people don't speak the truth, they spend a huge amount of time finding pathways to FUNCTION without a truth barrier.
Why is this? The recent documentary you linked be based on "The century of self" kinda covers this.
Why do people spend so much time bottling up weird fetishes and crazy lies that causes certain people to believe them? Is there a reasonable answer for this?

"Foolishness is indeed the sister of wickedness."
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:21:43 PM

Neurons: 43,559
Arquebus wrote:
It is said that most of us apparently use 10% of our brains capacity.
This has been proven false. All of us use 100% of our brains all the time. The only difference between one person and another is the knowledge, experience, the connections and resulting conclusions made from that knowledge and those experiences.

This is because apparently our thinking is impeded by our "character armor".
This would be the result of those conclusions I mentioned above, and I don't know that our thinking is impeded so much as it is guided by those conclusions.

Since many people don't speak the truth, they spend a huge amount of time finding pathways to FUNCTION without a truth barrier.
If many people don't speak the truth, wouldn't that mean that they actually DO have a truth barrier?

Why is this? The recent documentary you linked be based on "The century of self" kinda covers this.
Why do people spend so much time bottling up weird fetishes and crazy lies that causes certain people to believe them? Is there a reasonable answer for this?
If people bottle up their weird fetishes and crazy lies, how would others know of them?

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I especially don't see the connection to milk cartons.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Romany
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:40:18 PM

Neurons: 39,122
Once again, The Mystery of the Disappeared Post raises its head. I posted it just after the OP went up but, as I said pretty much what Foundit has said, it's hardly worth repeating it.

And yes, where the devil do milk cartons come into it?
merchant
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 10:14:15 PM

Neurons: 47,634
To everyone that would raise an eye to this.

I completely understand this does not make any sense, in fact, I didn't even say any of this. It was a fellow I met on the street that decided to spew his pseudo intellectual dribble onto me, and I just am I asking if he has any tenability in his statements or is just a ploy to make me seem stupid?

"Foolishness is indeed the sister of wickedness."
towan52
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:34:50 AM

Neurons: 156,711
If you squeeze it in the right place, the top bursts open? If you leave it out in the warm weather, it goes off? Once it's empty, you throw it away? Whistle

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:50:04 AM

Arquebus -

to be fair, I don't think such people pay much attention to who it is they're speaking to - so I would excuse them of trying to make you look stupid.

But the corollary is that they think THEMSELVES to have discovered, unaided, the Secrets of the Universe. Discussing ideas is a great way to get to know and understand the human race. Ear-bashing is pointless.

Looks as though you got yourself an ear-basher.
Shulamit
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:56:37 AM

Neurons: 48,633
towan52 wrote:
If you squeeze it in the right place, the top bursts open? If you leave it out in the warm weather, it goes off? Once it's empty, you throw it away? Whistle

YES. This is an intriguing use of the milk carton thesis. Let us continue!

Milk cartons are waxed cardboard products, so the outside with its colorful presentation is deceptive, and often is false advertising.

The milk carton, being coated heavily with a wax-like substance, may or may not be compostable, and perhaps defies even recycling ... Such a waste!

Milk cartons are often used to advertise about a missing child.

You usually can't tell if the contents are spoiled unless you open the carton and take a good whiff.

You may injure yourself lifting it as if it were full only to discover that it's empty and slamming your arm against the metal shelves.

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 9:16:22 AM

A good try at finding The Meaning of Milk, Shula.

My main objection to the phrase - and whatever the hell the guy meant about milk cartons - is that they are not ubiquitous. Most places these days use plastic bottles or bags. Some use a mixture of many kinds of packaging.

So if this bright spark wants to coin a universal truth I'd advise him to get to know the universe a little better!
Shulamit
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:30:39 PM

Neurons: 48,633
Romany wrote:

A good try at finding The Meaning of Milk, Shula.

So if this bright spark wants to coin a universal truth I'd advise him to get to know the universe a little better!

Why thank you, Romany. I actually edited my list by staying my hand forcefully.

And: I think you have added a universal truth here: The universe is a bright spark.

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:35:00 PM

(Damn I really, really wish they had the twitter 'like' facility!)
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:57:47 PM

Neurons: 43,559
Romany wrote:

(Damn I really, really wish they had the twitter 'like' facility!)

Cheat!

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:23:18 PM

Neurons: 25,711
Arquebus wrote:
It is said that most of us apparently use 10% of our brains capacity. This is because apparently our thinking is impeded by our "character armor". Since many people don't speak the truth, they spend a huge amount of time finding pathways to FUNCTION without a truth barrier.

Two weirdly unrelated questions, but I'll bite.

The first case is not even wrong. With the exception of physical deformity or chemically induced impairment, the capacity of an animal's brain is fully engaged at all times, even while sleeping. What differs from moment to moment is the level of activity in different areas of a particular brain, which intelligent brains adjust according to context. Imagine 8 billion (fewer than 10% of the estimated 86 billion neurons in the typical human brain) individuals all talking at the same time. That doesn't sound like a very productive conversation, does it? In fact, one of the reasons psychotropic drugs are so effective is that they escalate neuronal activity beyond what would otherwise be useful.

On the second point, that is a very odd use of the idiom "to bottle up", yet I think I catch your drift. I suspect you are speaking to the age-old conflict between packaging and content, appearance and essence, Schein und Sein. Why do people behave this way? It is because their brains are not wired up like Casio calculators, but rather compute according to very different algorithms. Given the evidence of human behavior over the past 50 thousand years, it seems obvious to me that the expectation of "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) is practically hard-wired into the human brain.

There are so many examples of how unscrupulous persons have taken advantage of this feature of the human brain, that I am rather concerned about your own well-being.

Pray

[edited to correct a minor grammatical aspect mistake]

ETA

Ah, I read the OP again more carefully, and now I understand more fully. This response is not addressed to you personally, Arquebus, but rather to "whom had said it".

Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."