The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Online book clubs Options
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 10:05:14 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Has anyone ever tried an online book club? With what results?
Mariael311
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 11:44:43 AM

Neurons: 69
I've joined one on www.goodreads.com and it's pretty good. There are several people that are members and basically all you do is write a post of your thoughts on the books, read what others have and said and comment on them if you wish.

It's worth a shot...
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 3:45:03 PM

Neurons: 1,029
Mariael311 wrote:
I've joined one on www.goodreads.com and it's pretty good. There are several people that are members and basically all you do is write a post of your thoughts on the books, read what others have and said and comment on them if you wish.

It's worth a shot...

I'm also a member of GoodReads, and I'm surprised at how effective it is. The real great thing about it is that recommendations come in the form of updates, which anyone is allowed to comment on, so you can get a large swath of opinions on a certain title. There are also specific sub-groups you can join (i.e. "historical fiction," etc.)
Sarachan
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 9:49:13 PM

Neurons: 189
Sounds interesting. What's the benefit, though, of doing it on-line? Are there lots of foreign/long distance readers? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (face-to-face) book club in the Philadelphia area?
Mariael311
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:50:26 PM

Neurons: 69
kaliedel wrote:
I'm also a member of GoodReads, and I'm surprised at how effective it is. The real great thing about it is that recommendations come in the form of updates, which anyone is allowed to comment on, so you can get a large swath of opinions on a certain title. There are also specific sub-groups you can join (i.e. "historical fiction," etc.)

ITA! I take some of those recommendations and use for my book club.

Sarachan wrote:
Sounds interesting. What's the benefit, though, of doing it on-line? Are there lots of foreign/long distance readers? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (face-to-face) book club in the Philadelphia area?

For me, the benefit is that sometimes it can be such a challenge to set up a time and place for the book club to meet and discuss the book where as in a virtual club, you can post your comments when you're ready to.

If you're looking for a book club in your area, I would check your local libraries or just research the internet. Maybe even start one yourself.
kaliedel
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:44:47 PM

Neurons: 1,029
Mariael311 has it right - the convenience of GoodReads is its real seller. Because a real book club has to meet physically once a week/month/whatever, this allows you to write messages at your leisure and still have a great discussion.