The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Blood sugar levels Options
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:18:39 AM

Neurons: 21,472
Newspapers, magazines, and the Internet are often criticized for publishing misleading or even dangerous medical tips.

I am sharing this information from the October, 2016, issue of Reader's Digest for what it is worth.

1. TAKE THE STAIRS AFTER EATING. "This will help your muscles use the blood sugar instead of storing it," says Amanda Bontempo, an oncology dietitian.

2. "A study in Diabetes Care found that older adults who walked for just 15 minutes after each meal had lower blood sugar levels than those who walked for 45 minutes in the late morning or before dinner." (All emphases were mine.)

(I am assuming that we are being told NOT to return to the computer or TV set immediately after a meal. For at least 15 minutes, engage in some physical activity.)
Elvandil
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:08:03 AM

Neurons: 120,160
Yes, bad health advice is everywhere. Just because a sentence is grammatically correct and seems to make sense doesn't make it true (though I saw a Trump supporter on TV the other day who said, "I saw it on the internet so it has to be true!" The illiterate seem to hold the printed word is somewhat too high an esteem).

Good advice, though. When I really need that chocolate bar, I even start walking before I swallow the first bite.

Nearly everyone over 50 in the US has high blood sugar (it would be more, but the US pressured the WHO to raise the "normal" level from 70-100 mg/dl to 80-110 mg/dl so fewer of our fat asses would be prediabetic).

(議思不の界世) pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun
Allessio77
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:49:15 AM

Neurons: 126,789
I started to take Metformin for its anti-cancer properties, and my 'high normal' Blood Glucose increased 15%!
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:02:56 AM

Neurons: 205,205
I think I should start considering to changing my screen name to "Blodysugar"
Dancing
But then again, I do not think I am sweet enough. Not talking

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
snafu22q
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:51:39 AM

Neurons: 9,781

I'm confused - the two numbered items in TheParser's post - they are falsehoods?

That seems to be the point of the original post - there is bad information out there. But then Evandil states "Good advice, though". And honestly, it *does* seem like good advice.

So - falsehoods or not?

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:55:59 AM

Neurons: 43,559
snafu22q wrote:

I'm confused - the two numbered items in TheParser's post - they are falsehoods?

That seems to be the point of the original post - there is bad information out there. But then Evandil states "Good advice, though". And honestly, it *does* seem like good advice.

So - falsehoods or not?

I think the point was to simply say that the internet can contain information that can be good, but some can be bad, so a person needs to be careful, and evaluate what is promoted.

In this case Evandil thought it was good advice, and it may well be.

The question that comes to my mind is whether this advice is for everyone, or just for diabetics. Notice the advice comes from "A study in Diabetes Care", and was done on older adults.

We aren't told if it would be beneficial for young diabetics, or how the activity is helpful relative to insulin levels. Without sufficient insulin, sugar cannot enter the cells to be burned.

It would pay, therefore, to get the whole picture before simply thinking that walking for 15 minutes is some kind of magical solution to the body storing sugar. If one's insulin levels are optimal, however, it would seem to be good advice.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:12:10 PM

Neurons: 40,304
I have enough problems with food digestion without directing the blood to my muscles right after eating. I do what is good for me. (My blood sugar levels are low.) Eating low glycemic foods and making sure one has protein and or fat with every meal are good ways to keep blood sugar from spiking.

As is true for every study, one cannot extrapolate general information to apply it to the individual, whether old and diabetic or not.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
ellana
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:40:02 PM

Neurons: 126,122
Eating a balanced diet is the name of the game. Exercise is an absolute complement to maintain good health.

Also, stay away from websites that throw irrelevant and false information at you. If you need answers to your medical questions, consult your MD. There is quality medical info on line but stay away from the anecdotal misinformation from contributors who know very little about disease, symptoms, as well as treatments.
Christopher Burns
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:36:22 AM

Neurons: 20
ellana wrote:
Eating a balanced diet is the name of the game. Exercise is an absolute complement to maintain good health.

Also, stay away from websites that throw irrelevant and false information at you. If you need answers to your medical questions, consult your MD. There is quality medical info on line but stay away from the anecdotal misinformation from contributors who know very little about disease, symptoms, as well as treatments.

Thank You! For the helpful post.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:10:14 AM

Neurons: 39,115
To be fair: - Parsar did admit straight up front, that the source was the Readers Digest!

So I guess that kind of comes with a built-in warning anyway, doesn't it?
Christopher Burns
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 1:55:42 AM

Neurons: 20
Elvandil wrote:
Yes, bad health advice is everywhere. Just because a sentence is grammatically correct and seems to make sense doesn't make it true (though I saw a Trump supporter on TV the other day who said, "I saw it on the internet so it has to be true!" The illiterate seem to hold the printed word is somewhat too high an esteem).

Good advice, though. When I really need that chocolate bar, I even start walking before I swallow the first bite.

Nearly everyone over 50 in the US has high blood sugar (it would be more, but the US pressured the WHO to raise the "normal" level from 70-100 mg/dl to 80-110 mg/dl so fewer of our fat asses would be prediabetic).

It's true!