The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is David Beckham's tattoo passion a sign of a mental illness? Options
Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 1:51:25 AM

Neurons: 3,969
The title of my post is asked in all seriousness. There is a story about how David Beckham has just gotten a new tattoo. The pictures of Beckham show that he is literally covered with ink. Personally, I wonder if people who desire to fill their entire bodies with words/pictures have some kind of psychological issues?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this or knowledge about whether an extreme amount of tattoos on a person is a sign of some deeper problems?

Peace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3758894/David-Beckham-reveals-latest-addition-vast-tattoo-collection-leaves-indoor-cycling-class.html
TiMonster
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:42:02 AM

Neurons: 11,830
I see no problem with someone getting tattooed all over his/her body. I wouldn't do it because it is not my thing but people do whatever they want to their body
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:57:42 AM

Neurons: 460,137
I think it's mainly a matter of preference. Some people like having a lot of tattoos. Some don't.

That being said, I have heard that it can become a compulsion, much like someone going in for cosmetic surgery might end up feeling a need to get more done. However, that doesn't mean everyone who gets more than one tattoo is doing it because of psychological issues.

We could flip the coin and ask: is not getting any tattoos a sign of some deeper problems? Some people are really against tattoos for a myriad of reasons (fear of change, fear of the needle, fear of permanent markings, fear of infections etc.). Similarly, if there is some kind of psychological issue associated with some people wanting many tattoos, then the reasons are probably equally diverse.
Blodybeef
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 4:10:11 AM

Neurons: 323,292
It may be an addiction?

Or he joned the Yakuza, and he's not keeping it a secret. Dancing

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
pedro
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 4:27:05 AM

Neurons: 61,119
Or he's transferring the entire contents of his brain onto his skin. When it's empty he will open a museum to rival Ronaldo's.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:17:00 AM

Neurons: 172,120
I'm addicted to not having any tattoos - perhaps I should be getting disablement benefit!

This is Elaine Davidson (she was married five years ago to this gentleman).
You can see her almost any summer's day around the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
pedro
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:36:50 AM

but she's not allowed to wear a burka I wager.

Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 7:54:53 AM

After I made the post, I was doing some searching online and found a rather interesting article written by psychologist who has four tattoos, and while he does not draw any definite conclusions that there is a connection between excessive tattoos on a person and mental illness, he writes that

"The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry released a statement in 1999 in which they listed tattooing and 'excessive piercing' along with picking, burning, head-banging and cutting as possible forms of self-injury. While this may seem somewhat of an alarmist conclusion to many, especially those who are tattooed and pierced, the AACAP is not the first on the block to reach this conclusion."

He goes on to explain that "In mainstream professional journals... tattooing and body piercing have been associated with dangerous and sometimes lethal risk-taking behavior, eating disorders, self-loathing, substance abuse, depression and social alienation."

While the writer does explore why some people may choose to make extreme changes to their appearance he such as "those who have gone to incredible lengths to virtually change their appearance by tattooing whiskers and cat's eyes over their own" or "in the case of multiple or full-body art and piercings of everything from nostrils, tongues, belly-buttons, earlobes and eyelids (favorites among teen girls) to nipples, genitals and everything in between," he is careful to avoid labeling such behavior as mental illness.

Furthermore, he acknowledges the "socio/anthropological possibility that tats and piercings may demonstrate loyalty, affiliation or be a ritualistic rite of passage. For some, it may simply be the rush of adrenaline that accompanies a self-chosen and self-controlled moment of physical pain."

I guess all we can know for certain is that, as Lotje 1000 said, it is possible that it can become a compulsion. Still, I am confused as to the reason Beckham wants to get so many tattoos.

Peace.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/popular-culture-meets-psychology/200907/tattoos-and-body-piercing-adolescent-self-expression-or

Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 7:56:57 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I'm addicted to not having any tattoos - perhaps I should be getting disablement benefit!

Yikes!! I have no idea what is going on inside her head, but something ain't right there.

Peace.
Blodybeef
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:21:20 AM

Neurons: 323,292
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Seriously, my sensory organs did not register her as a human until the third photo, where her feet (well, shoes to be honest) are visible.
I just kept searching for a reference point, with which I could make out the human form.
I am ashamed of myself, my prejudice.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:53:24 AM

Blodybeef wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Seriously, my sensory organs did not register her as a human until the third photo, where her feet (well, shoes to be honest) are visible.
I just kept searching for a reference point, with which I could make out the human form.
I am ashamed of myself, my prejudice.

If her name was not Elaine, I would have no idea what her gender is, or even if she was a real person. It's amazing what people are willing to do to themselves. She is scary looking, and I would be terrified to wake up next to her in the morning, or shut off the light if she was in a room with me. Oh, well, it's her life.

Peace.
pedro
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 10:20:08 AM

If you shut off the light she would glow probably.

Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 11:14:19 AM

pedro wrote:
If you shut off the light she would glow probably.

That's true. She would likely be a great night light!

Peace to you.
Listening . . .
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:28:14 PM

Neurons: 3,940
I've watched many shows of people getting tattoos. The customer would typically get something tattooed that they had an emotional connection with. Many images of lost family or friends or an image of something that the customer and someone they lost shared while they were living; others added a symbol to remind them they have strength to overcome a weakness; most were symbolic and meanings were only known to the customer. I can't tell you how many times I cried .... heartfelt, beautiful life stories projected onto the body. I like the human body in its "perfect" state that we get when we are born. However, after watching the shows and hearing the stories of why someone was getting a tattoo, I began to respect the images.

The pic of Elaine Davidson is frightening. My first thought when I see her is that she must be a very sad person who feels the need to hide from the world who she really is. Without talking with her, though....Who knows? She could be a fun loving happy woman who just wanted to be born pierced and green. ???

To answer the question of your post, I imagine there are tattooed people who have psychological issues. However, I believe that would be an exception and not the rule. (Have no science to back my position- just a feeling from my own experience.)
Axel Bear
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:44:01 PM

Neurons: 22,393

Chazlee wrote:
...I wonder if people who desire to fill their entire bodies with words/pictures have some kind of psychological issues?

There are tattooed people with psychological issues.

There are even more non-tattooed people with psychological issues.

Well, at least according to my neighbor.

Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite: Joseph de Maistre
Chazlee
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 11:46:02 AM

Listening . . . wrote:
I've watched many shows of people getting tattoos. The customer would typically get something tattooed that they had an emotional connection with. Many images of lost family or friends or an image of something that the customer and someone they lost shared while they were living; others added a symbol to remind them they have strength to overcome a weakness; most were symbolic and meanings were only known to the customer. I can't tell you how many times I cried .... heartfelt, beautiful life stories projected onto the body. I like the human body in its "perfect" state that we get when we are born. However, after watching the shows and hearing the stories of why someone was getting a tattoo, I began to respect the images.

Yes, it is easy to understand a person getting a tattoo to remind them of a loved one who has passed, or even a message of some kind which helps empower the person.

The pic of Elaine Davidson is frightening. My first thought when I see her is that she must be a very sad person who feels the need to hide from the world who she really is. Without talking with her, though....Who knows? She could be a fun loving happy woman who just wanted to be born pierced and green. ???

That is a good point. Unless we really know her, then we will never be sure what is going on with her. However, I also wonder if she really knows the reason herself.

To answer the question of your post, I imagine there are tattooed people who have psychological issues. However, I believe that would be an exception and not the rule. (Have no science to back my position- just a feeling from my own experience.)

That is true. I also believe that there are probably many dangerous criminals or psychologically distured people who have never gotten a tattoo, while many law-abiding folks, even those in law enforcement, have them. So it is difficult to judge the mental fitness of someone simply by what they have put on their body.

BTW, Listening, I want to apologize to you if I upset you by my comments aimed toward you in the politics section. I said some rude things, which I should not have said. So, I am sorry.

Peace.
Chazlee
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 11:48:43 AM

Axel Bear wrote:

Chazlee wrote:
...I wonder if people who desire to fill their entire bodies with words/pictures have some kind of psychological issues?

There are tattooed people with psychological issues.

There are even more non-tattooed people with psychological issues.

Well, at least according to my neighbor.

Yes, I guess a tattoo actually tells us very little about people, except that they have a tattoo.

Peace to you.
Chazlee
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2016 2:43:31 AM

"Transgender former banker, 55, has her ears and nose REMOVED to transform into a 'dragon lady' with scales, a forked tongue and a horned skull."

Peace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3524063/Transgender-woman-Eva-Tiamat-Medusa-ears-nose-removed-dragon-lady.html

pedro
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2016 4:18:00 AM

These two should meet up.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:02:08 PM

Neurons: 44,048

I remember some years back how the then TFD community reacted when I mentioned I have a couple of tatts. And even a piercing. So I found the link to mental illness interesting. I wondered why this particular manifestation of obsessive/compulsive disorder would be linked to mental illness, when obsessive cleanliness, or golf-playing doesn't lend itself so easily to thoughts of mental illness?

Until I realised simply that some people don't understand why people have tattoos at all, perhaps?

If anyone who is reading this is one of those people? Well.. everyone I know - whether business people, educationalists, my own sons, neighbours - has them for private reasons. That's the point, I think. There was once a time when only sailors or thugs had tatts. Black heavy things saying 'Mother" or featuring an anchor. Or a skull and crossbones.

But now its all about art, and remembrance, or celebration - and the most numerous are the ones to celebrate one's children, or parents, etc. Or to remind people of their life's journey; and for some it's just about looking cool, I expect.But people design what's important to them and express it in ways that are meaningful to them. And BECAUSE it's indelibly printed on their bodies as it is on their minds. It's (well, usually) forever - so that as long as one is walking the world the loved one - which could be a dog or a boat or a belief - is walking with you. Or the lesson you learnt remains always with you. Or what's important stays with you.

Obviously I can't talk for everybody else: - just explaining how it is looking through my eyes.
Axel Bear
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:55:26 AM

I am old-fashioned - and I am only in my 30's! - but old women with tats is a big turn off.

Obviously I can't talk for everybody else: - just explaining how it is looking through my eyes.

Litvinenko
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:21:40 AM

Neurons: 856
I don't mind Sarah Palin with tattoos

A perfect design, with no designer.
Axel Bear
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:05:04 PM

Litvinenko wrote:
I don't mind Sarah Palin with tattoos

Sarah Palin may be older...but she is not old. Yet.

Romany
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:50:20 AM

Neurons: 44,048

(Just saw this.)

Ah, well done, Axel,Dancing we can always rely on you, eh? Have to nickname you Old Reliable, like the geyser!