The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Reports: Irish IOC chief Patrick Hickey arrested in Rio Options
Chazlee
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:41:24 PM

Neurons: 3,954
There are certain crimes, such as violent crimes, in which it is clear to everyone that a crime has been committed and someone must be punished. There are other crimes, some white-collar crimes like embezzlement come to mind, in which a person had money and that money was stolen by another person.

Recently, however, "Rio de Janeiro authorities arrested IOC executive committee member Patrick Hickey," and "The head of the European Olympic committee is being accused of illegally scalping tickets for the Summer Games currently being held in Rio."

So, why is scalping tickets considered to be a crime?

Yes, ticket scalpers are greedy people. They have a ticket which they try to sell at an inflated price, which is awful to do, but where is the crime?

Should the head of the European Olympic committee be condemned for his actions? Yes. Should he be arrested, and possibly prosecuted for scalping tickets? No.

Peace.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-irish-ioc-chief-arrested-in-rio-111535599.html
whatson
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:26:51 PM

Neurons: 2,326
As his behavior(u)r was un-Christian, the fitting punishment should be excommunication.

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:50:53 PM

Neurons: 51,118
[A]men

Blodybeef
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:27:30 AM

Neurons: 237,608
Well, it is a crime, and every crime has its punishment.

I'm not in the legal system, nor do I have education in civil or criminal laws, but I think a punishment should fit the crime; avoid the perpetrator to do it again, collect everything acquired through crime, and some more to prevent other people to attempt such a crime in the future.

Kind regards,

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
IMcRout
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:34:12 AM

Neurons: 486,122
Chazlee asked
Quote:
Should the head of the European Olympic committee be condemned for his actions? Yes. Should he be arrested, and possibly prosecuted for scalping tickets? No.

- Definitely yes. It wasn't a few tickets, it was thousands.
- All these tickets counted as 'sold' to the organizers of the Olympics. Yet thousands of seats, even in very attractive competitions, remained empty and people tried in vain to get inside.
- He worked together with his son's company, which only was able to buy these tickets through Daddy's connections.

I think he should be made to pay a large penalty and be released from all his functions immediately. But if I read Mr Bach's, the president of the IOC's behaviour correctly (I'm sorry to say he's a compatriot of mine), he will sit this problem out, just as he did in the doping question.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)