The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

US woman killed in police simulation of lethal force scenario Options
Chazlee
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:57:07 PM

Neurons: 3,954
I have to admit that I am quite confused by this article. It states that
"A 73-year-old Florida woman suffered a fatal gunshot wound while role-playing in a police simulation designed to teach people how officers decide when to use lethal force."

After reading the article several times, I still don't get it. Police officers killed a woman during a role-play exercise? So, police are using real, loaded guns during these demonstrations?

The police chief Tom Lewis said "I absolutely am devastated for everyone involved in this unimaginable event." Really? He is "devastated?" (I am sure the victim's family is devastated).

Why were his officers not trained better? Why did they use loaded guns during these role-play demonstrations? Why is he not being held at least somewhat accountable for this happening?

Oh, well. Another day, and another gun death in America. And the bodies continue to pile up.

Peace.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-woman-killed-police-simulation-lethal-force-scenario-181313305.html?nhp=1

Gary98
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:49:54 PM

Neurons: 2,529,270
They make it truly REAL.
taurine
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:13:31 PM

Neurons: 54,778
Without a doubt, I also would have been devastated.
This is, as possible to deduct it from the press article, "unimaginable event".

The woman who suffered fatal gun shot wound had been selected randomly to decide, whether to use lethal force against a "bad guy" played by a police officer.

Knowlton was one of two people selected randomly to role-play in a scenario in which they had to decide whether to use lethal force against a "bad guy" played by a police officer.

But the officer's gun turned out to have live ammunition, and discharged. Knowlton was rushed to a hospital but died.

Chazlee wrongly stated, that Police officers killed a woman during a role-play exercise.
The gun was in a possession of a woman, who died. It was her, who used the gun against a "bad guy" played by a police officer.

The simulation designed to teach people how officers decide when to use lethal force failed. The cause of a failure seems to be at least partly on the side of a woman, who used the gun. The gun did not discharge without pulling a trigger. Who pulled it? Who was in a possession of it?

Oh, not well. Another day, and another premature opinion about Police killing innocent old woman. This time, was she white or black? I suppose, she was grey, but superficially only.

I like green peas.

Kerry.P
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:44:08 PM

Neurons: 12,995
Taurine - you've misread this article.

Nowhere in this article does it say that the woman had posession of the gun.
The article does say that she participated in the decision about use of the gun, but it does NOT say she possessed the gun.

I'm with Chazlee on this point - WTF would any moron use live ammo during a role-play exercise.

As a colleague once said "my gabber is truly flasted".
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:50:11 PM

Neurons: 44,440
Well, I guess now we have to take away the guns from the police. One has to wonder why, among so many perfect human beings, there appear to be these flawed individuals who have accidents? I mean, in our perfect utopia these things just shouldn't happen. No one has accidents, especially the police, who are trained to perfection. It's a wonder.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Kerry.P
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:07:39 PM

Neurons: 12,995
I grew up in a country where police did not carry guns.
They were only ever issued at incidents that required lethal force.
taurine
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 10:26:15 AM

Neurons: 54,778
Kerry.P ,
In the U.S. the Police are equipped with guns. If this was the role-playing game, the woman in question should be in a possession of a gun. This is the correct assumption.
"The woman who suffered fatal gun shot wound had been selected randomly to decide, whether to use lethal force against a "bad guy" played by a police officer."
The decision, whether to use lethal force against a "bad guy" would not have been possible in the event, if the woman playing a role of a police officer was not in a possession of a gun.
I am rightfully entitled to say, that the woman who allegedly played a role of a police officer, was in a possession of a gun. Not the "bad guy" played by a Police Officer.
It is illogical to assume, that the woman in question participated in decision-making process without being in a possession of a gun. Especially in the context of the very idea behind the whole story.

Taking aforementioned, I did not deserve to be treated as someone, who misread the article.