The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Legal gun owner continues the carnage Options
Chazlee
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:15:36 AM

Neurons: 3,722
In Raleigh, North Carolina, a 20 year old man was shot to death as he was leaving a party. His mother described her son as "loving, funny, and so careful that his family called him "Safety 101."

The shooter, Chad Cameron Copley, is a man who was "living two doors down from the party (and who) called police to complain of "hoodlums" in his neighborhood, and then fired a shotgun out of his garage, according to authorities and 911 tapes."

"During a 911 call from Copley's house shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday, a man said "we've got a bunch of hoodlums out here racing," and told the dispatcher he was taking action. "I am locked and loaded. I'm going outside to secure my neighborhood," the man said." Copley has been charged with murder.

https://us.yahoo.com/news/mother-raleigh-victim-shot-leaving-house-party-151850793.html

Another article about this tragedy can be found at

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/09/us/raleigh-north-carolina-man-shoots-african-american-outside-home-911-calls/index.html

While not all the facts are known at this time, we do know that by Copley's own words he felt that people "racing" cars, if they were doing that, was an offense that he decided was good enough to shoot someone. It is clear to me after reading the articles that fear and anger are probably what motivated this legal gun owner to shoot a young man.

Gun lovers are people who refuse to admit they are perpetually afraid of the world in which they live. As a result, the bodies continue to pile up day after day, month after month, and year after year.

Peace.

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:45:22 AM

Neurons: 343,228
More evidence that hostile situations are confusing and people involved don't have a clear idea of what's going on. Not even if they're wielding the gun:

Quote:
A woman then calls from Copley's home and says she's upstairs with her children before giving the phone to a man who acknowledges someone was shot and that he fired his weapon, but he seems unsure whether his shot hit anyone.

Quote:
They were showing a firearm, so I fired a warning shot and we got somebody that they got hit."
"OK, so somebody was shot?" the dispatcher asks.
"Well, I don't know if they're shot or not, ma'am.

Quote:
The witness says the 20-year-old victim was shot in the arm, is unconscious and lying in the road. He doesn't know who fired the shot, he says.

Yet people still feel the need to defend their neighbourhood from people walking past their mailbox.
TiMonster
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:49:21 AM

Neurons: 10,472
Having a gun does not turn you into a police officer..
People need to understand this
MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:12:15 AM

Neurons: 339,308
TiMonster wrote:

How many people are killed by guns in the United Kingdom, where even the policemen don't have guns?

This is my only now.
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:29:44 PM

Neurons: 150,859
MelissaMe wrote:
TiMonster wrote:

How many people are killed by guns in the United Kingdom, where even the policemen don't have guns?

It's no longer strictly true that UK police do not have guns. Each regional force has a number of "Armed Response Units" that can be called upon if necessary. I believe they are equipped with automatic pistols, shotgun and assault rifle. Individual officers (with training) also now carry tasers. Because of the huge difference in population size, the comparison of numbers is not a good indication. However, The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:54:35 PM

Neurons: 36,025
Quote Chazlee - Gun lovers are people who refuse to admit they are perpetually afraid of the world in which they live.

Guns are useful for certain conditions in certain circumstances.

But those Americans who feel they need to carry a gun for protection against criminals and also ignore the much lower rates of gun-related deaths in other countries with stricter gun controls where most citizens do not carry guns, must seem to think that they are the only country whose criminals have guns, because that is the reason most 'second amenders' give for the need to carry. (That and the ability to overthrow an oppressive government as if they were in a third world country.)

The ambiguous second amendment did say a "well-regulated" militia, but that part is conveniently ignored.

I know for sure Canada's criminals have guns - I can't find any recent statistics but in 2007, 69% of guns used in criminal offences in Toronto, were traced as being smuggled in from the US. Our present government says they are looking for ways to stop or at least control this smuggling.

Digression - In another thread about guns, the statement was made that "Mexico is awash" in gun violence. In certain areas of Mexico that is true, the same as it is true about certain areas of the US. Some of the worst areas in Mexico are the border towns where the drug cartels are fighting to keep the drug lines open to the US. The US is the largest consumer of Mexican drugs and the biggest supplier of guns to the cartels. Wiki- "According to [U.S.] Justice Department figures, 94,000 weapons were recovered from Mexican drug cartels in the five years between 2006 and 2011, of which 64,000 -- 70 percent -- come from the United States."[3]"

So the availability of guns in the US affects both of its neighbors as well as itself.

Edited - http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/09/24/pellets-planes-and-the-new-frontier/

"They arrange deals by cellphone and deliver heroin like pizza." This is the drug war the Mexican government has been fighting and why there is so much violence in certain areas of Mexico.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Chazlee
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:04:57 PM

Neurons: 3,722
[quote=Hope123] Quote Chazlee - Gun lovers are people who refuse to admit they are perpetually afraid of the world in which they live.

Guns are useful for certain conditions in certain circumstances.

That is true. I fully support the military and law enforcement officers having guns. Otherwise, guns serve no real purpose and gun lovers always ignore this fact.

Peace.
TiMonster
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 7:27:05 AM

Neurons: 10,472
MelissaMe wrote:
TiMonster wrote:

I admit that I have no idea.

I have to say that I'm not against guns, I just think that there should be a better control
progpen
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:50:52 AM

Neurons: 152,258
TiMonster wrote:
I have to say that I'm not against guns, I just think that there should be a better control

And this is where the gun lobbyists and their followers are concentrating their rhetoric. They have been saying that "you can only be with us or with the enemy", and not allowing any discussion that is not steeped in extremist rhetoric. This is because they know that everyone in the middle would easily bring sense and logic into the discussion, which would be catastrophic for their revenue and political power.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.