The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Does society really benefit from long-time incarceration of criminals? Options
Chazlee
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 10:17:02 AM

Neurons: 3,722
Hi Everyone,

Recently, former Manson Family member Leslie Van Houten was not given parole for the crimes she took part in back in '69.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/23/us/manson-family-leslie-van-houten-parole-denied/index.html

I am not a liberal and I don't think we need to foolishly open our prisons and let everyone out, but I do wonder if we are really doing the right thing by keeping people in prison who have been locked-up for decades, especially those people who have not really gotten into any trouble while incarcerated.

While it is true that we may "feel" better to know that a person is being punished for what they did in their past, taxpayers are forced to pony up money for corrections officers, meals(as bad as they may be),medical care (as bad as it may be),for inmates who are really not able, or going, to cause any problems if they were released.

So, I wonder, is the public benefiting from putting people away forever if they are clearly no longer are a threat to those of us in the free world?
pitulush
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:18:15 PM

Neurons: 373,543
This is more from the point of view of the convicts' well-being, but it tackles the cost of keeping them in prison too:

http://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/orange-new-black-got-wrong-compassionate-release/
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 2:14:45 AM

Neurons: 3,722
Pitulush

That is an interesting article. I do think that keeping an 85 year old woman in prison, which was costing California "close to a million dollars a year because of the extra guards and frequent medical trips," with the parole board refusing to release her since they "found her to be a risk to public safety because she ‘didn’t have firm enough employment plans” is just ludicrous. It's also just another example of how taxpayer's money is being wasted.