The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Just curious about strychnine Options
mitori
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 1:45:51 PM

Neurons: 248,132
Does strychnine poisoning always bring convulsions? Here is a story about a man who died of strychnine poison yet his body was found hands crossed on his chest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 5:37:44 PM

Neurons: 151,426
Hi mitori.

I just quickly read the website on strychnine poisoning, and this seems possible. There are no 'convulsions' in the normal meaning - in a medical convulsion, the effect comes simply from involuntary tightening of certain muscles.

The "arched back" symptom is not always seen - sometimes it happens, sometimes not - and it is only for a very short time, the muscles contract and then relax.

Quote:
Diffuse, involuntary muscle contractions are the hallmark of toxicity.
Because of the arrangement and relative strength of the various muscle groups within the body, a patient will demonstrate flexion of the upper extremities and extension of the lower extremities. Characteristic facial muscle spasms also occur, where the eyebrows elevate, and an open, sustained grin appears (Sardonic grin).
. . . Typically the patient remains fully alert during these episodes, which may last up to two minutes.

This "flexion of the upper extremities" would have little effect if he were lying with his arms across his chest and hands closed into fists - he would just tighten up for a while.

The "Extension of lower extremities" is similar - if he were lying with his legs straight out, they would just 'try to become straighter' - not very noticeable.

Common symptoms of strychnine poisoning are hypothermia (cold) and trouble breathing.
He could well have died of the cold out there on the freezing moors in the rain, after the seizures ended.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mitori
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 5:55:44 PM

Hello DragOn,

It seems you never fail me. Thank you very much for helping me on this. Au Revoir. Should I say: À bientôt!
One more thing. Would you mind correcting my English when I do write something?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 6:09:23 PM

Neurons: 151,426
Hi again.

Certainly - there was nothing to correct in your original post.

I would have said ". . . died of strychnine poisoning.", but "poison" isn't wrong.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mitori
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 7:08:26 PM

Hi.
Thank you again.
ithink140
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 4:34:12 AM

Neurons: 17,922
What are you planning, Mitori?

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
mitori
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 8:52:22 AM

Hello ITHINK,

Thank you very, very much for reaching out. The only thing wrong with me would be my curious mind and my immeasurable taste for mysteries. This BBC article was totally fascinating, it fired up my imagination and I wanted to know as much as I could about this case. There is an answer somewhere and I look forward to reading about it someday.