The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Concerning technology. Options
pljames
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 11:26:19 AM

Neurons: 15,207
Someone told me that when they put solar panels in the ground around your home, there is something on the metal that seeps in the ground and destroys the ground where one cannot grow anything? any truth to that? Paul
Elvandil
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:30:27 PM

Neurons: 133,855
pljames wrote:
Someone told me that when they put solar panels in the ground around your home, there is something on the metal that seeps in the ground and destroys the ground where one cannot grow anything? any truth to that? Paul

It almost certainly depends on the particular panels. There are many types out there now, some far more efficient (and expensive) than others. But due to runoff from rain, I can't really see how anything could seep that wouldn't get to the ground eventually, anyway.

But solar panels have a fairly short life, producing less electricity every year until being replaced. They usually say 20 years. I wouldn't want them near the ground where they could be exposed to moisture and become even more fragile.

Solar panels are usually produced using large quantities of water and dangerous solvents. About 50 gallons of water is polluted for every kilowatt of solar panel produced. The damage to the environment is not offset by using them at this point, but actually causes an increased level of damage to water and air. And that doesn't even take into account the damage they do after becoming waste.

It's kind of like electric cars - they reduce the immediate amount of pollution, but produce 10x more pollution than a normal car because of increased burning of fuels to create the electricity and the burning of coal which releases more radiation than is allowable by a nuclear power plant. It costs around $30,000 to recycle an electric or hybrid car, so they usually just end up polluting landfills or being shipped to other countries to pollute instead.

Peoples' shortsighted efforts to help the environment, like with recycling and other methods, without considering the entire process from beginning to end, but only what they see in front of them, has been a disaster for the environment and the world.

(議思不の界世) pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun
Priscilla86
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:21:02 AM

Neurons: 4,056
Elvandil wrote:
pljames wrote:

It almost certainly depends on the particular panels. There are many types out there now, some far more efficient (and expensive) than others. But due to runoff from rain, I can't really see how anything could seep that wouldn't get to the ground eventually, anyway.

But solar panels have a fairly short life, producing less electricity every year until being replaced. They usually say 20 years. I wouldn't want them near the ground where they could be exposed to moisture and become even more fragile.

Solar panels are usually produced using large quantities of water and dangerous solvents. About 50 gallons of water is polluted for every kilowatt of solar panel produced. The damage to the environment is not offset by using them at this point, but actually causes an increased level of damage to water and air. And that doesn't even take into account the damage they do after becoming waste.

It's kind of like electric cars - they reduce the immediate amount of pollution, but produce 10x more pollution than a normal car because of increased burning of fuels to create the electricity and the burning of coal which releases more radiation than is allowable by a nuclear power plant. It costs around $30,000 to recycle an electric or hybrid car, so they usually just end up polluting landfills or being shipped to other countries to pollute instead.

Peoples' shortsighted efforts to help the environment, like with recycling and other methods, without considering the entire process from beginning to end, but only what they see in front of them, has been a disaster for the environment and the world.

Interesting. I also don't buy into most 'green'-labeled stuff / efforts. Nothing beats simple, non-glamorous efforts such as ACTUALLY using less water and electricity. The gov has imposed certain criteria in my line of work (architecture) that a building needs to fulfill in order to be classified as 'green' (there's monetary incentive involved). One of them is they encourage the use of toilet that uses less water. In reality, this wastes water even more because instead of flushing just once, people need to flush twice or three times to properly get rid of their crap.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:23:52 AM

Neurons: 80,313
There is an issue with environmental contamination at the factories , particularly in China where these solar panels are made.

It may be that somebody heard that story and misunderstood.

The metal is just a normal metal frame to hold the cells, and the cells are covered in glass or plastic. I don't know of any reports of chemicals from the cells doing any harm.

You have nothing to worry about if there are solar cells near you.
Whoever told you this misunderstood where the problem is, or has a reason for backing oil and gas, and telling scare stories about solar.

There are environmental issues about manufacturing solar panels, and about disposing of old ones. But there is no problem with them in place and in use.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:31:43 AM

Neurons: 49,922
Thanks for the info re solar panels, Thar.

Priscilla, your blanket statement re low water flush toilets may cover your experiences, but we put in two low water usage toilets that we only ever flush once. They are of good quality and are extremely efficient and were not cheap. But the bathroom shop buys them in large quantities and is able to offer them at a fairly reasonable price. The savings in the cost of water usage offset the cost of the toilet eventually. The problem we have is to be able to encourage people in our condo to upgrade as we all share the cost of the water bill.

I ageee that the best thing we can do is to try to cut down usage of water and energy.

As Elvandil mentioned, the long term effects of anything we try to do have to be calculated. Paper or plastic grocery bags - the usage of both have consequences on the environment. We have to make the choice that causes the fewest detrimental effects. The best method is to take your own reusable bags that can be laundered and reused for a long time. I am not sure why redycling was singled out as being detrimental.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Priscilla86
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 11:02:15 AM

Hope123 wrote:

Priscilla, your blanket statement re low water flush toilets may cover your experiences, but we put in two low water usage toilets that we only ever flush once.

Then I'd say the supplier must bring their business here! But the problem is, the gov here has set their own standard on what is considered low water flush toilets and it is seriously pathetic. I remember using one of the toilets in the gov building and just kept on flushing because...ugh it's so disgusting I just can't finish my sentence.

We (consultants) won't bother trying to score green points on this item because we just know the end users would complain.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 11:35:49 AM

What a shame. My husband was treasurer on the board here for ten years, and I have seen the water usage and accompanying bills for even this small corporation.

I just looked to see where you are from so you probably won't recognize the name of these Kohler toilets. We received a $75 rebate, but only for one of the toilets, from our local government for a few approved toilets, and were also able to claim the total including installtion as a non refundable deduction on our federal taxes.

These ones look great as they are all one piece, have a quiet self lowering seat, and are of higher height for seniors.

I can't believe I am describing toilets on a forum. d'oh!

We pay about five times as much for our electrcity here as they do in FL. We have smart meters so that certain hours cost less to encourage people to do their laundry and run dishwashers at non peak times. People in single family dwellings can opt to have their power shut down at peak times for fifteen minutes or so to help with fluctuations.

So maybe the way to encourage the saving of energy and water is through the pocketbook.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:03:04 AM

Hope, we do have Kohler here but if the product is more expensive than the standard type that works just fine then I can almost say forget it (unless I have a client who truly cares about the environment and wants to make a difference).

By the way, just curious, you wrote you share the water bill with the rest of the people in your condo. Does that mean the whole condominium only has one water bill to be divided equally among tenants? This is new to me! How does that work and how are you not fighting with each other all the time? Keeping it dispute-free within an apartment unit is already hard most of the time, let alone the whole apartment building!

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:38:36 AM

Priscilla86 wrote:
Hope, we do have Kohler here but if the product is more expensive than the standard type that works just fine then I can almost say forget it (unless I have a client who truly cares about the environment and wants to make a difference).

By the way, just curious, you wrote you share the water bill with the rest of the people in your condo. Does that mean the whole condominium only has one water bill to be divided equally among tenants? This is new to me! How does that work and how are you not fighting with each other all the time? Keeping it dispute-free within an apartment unit is already hard most of the time, let alone the whole apartment building!

We replaced our toilets because of the comfort and convenience and quality. But when we did it we made sure it was with the low flush kind.
What would a good one cost there? Ours was an $800 toilet for which we paid $500. Plus tax of 13%. And a $100 each to install. Minus the govt rebate and income tax claim. It was part of a kitchen and baths renovation of thousands of dollars - that started with a new kitchen tap that cost $100. lol. Everything costs more in Canada than in the US, it seems, so I just wondered about your country.

A condo, where we own our unit from the middle of the walls in, is different to a rental apartment where the owner pays all the bills and charges rent to cover them and make a profit.

It is all rolled into our monthly condo fees. So yes, the water bill is part of operating expenses and is divided according to units. Nobody knows who uses what. The building is heated by natural gas with a hot water system. We share heat and electricity and all upkeep and maintenance of the common elements, and any repairs to the building too. It is based on a percentage of the square footage of each unit. The bigger the unit, the higher your fees. The government brought in rules a few years ago that we must set aside a certain amount as a reserve fund for major repairs, such as fixing the roof, new carpets, or repairing leaks. An examination of the building by experts has to be done - I think - every three years. We are responsible to repair anything within our own unit.

We have a board of five members and we hire a professional mangement company to oversee everything. We have a live-in superintendent to clean and run the day to day stuff. She reports to the management company, who report to the board. There are all kinds of rules and regulations to protect us from negligent board members and so far things have gone very well with excellent people volunteering to be on the board. My husband was treasurer for eight years after we moved in when the building was brand new. He tried very hard to keep the condo fees down, as did his replacement. They were both accountants. We elect the board at an annual AGM - annual general meeting - replacing only part of the board each year. The system works well.

Don't worry though. About eight of the units, a small percentage, find plenty of other things to be bitching about all the time when life is pretty good here. One or two of the 'Negatives' move out, but in time are replaced. Human nature!