The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

prissy Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,964
prissy

(adjective) Excessively or affectedly prim and proper.

Synonyms: priggish, prudish, square-toed, straight-laced, tight-laced, victorian, puritanical, prim

Usage: A free-spirited party girl, I am the complete opposite of my prissy and well-mannered sister.
ChildofTheKing
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:35:51 AM

Neurons: 557

She still drops a foreign word into her talk now and then, and there is still a subtle foreign flavor or fragrance about even her exactest English - and long may this abide! for it has for me a charm that is very pleasant. Sometimes her English is daintily prim and bookish and captivating.
Luftmarque
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:09:13 AM

Neurons: 39,962
In the popular movies, doesn't the prissy girl always take off her glasses, let her hair down, and turn into some sort of wild succubus at the end?

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
Hupomone
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:42:05 AM

Neurons: 1,431
Luftmarque wrote:
In the popular movies, doesn't the prissy girl always take off her glasses, let her hair down, and turn into some sort of wild succubus at the end?

She does if the movie is to have any chance at the box office. Gentlemen prefer pert, not prissy...Prissy has too many syllables.
capo403
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:08:05 AM

Neurons: 1,815
ChildofTheKing wrote:

She still drops a foreign word into her talk now and then, and there is still a subtle foreign flavor or fragrance about even her exactest English - and long may this abide! for it has for me a charm that is very pleasant. Sometimes her English is daintily prim and bookish and captivating.

ChildofTheKing,

I assume these are literary quotes that you cite in Word of the Day. Would you mind citing the source of these quotes? I enjoy reading them and am just curious as to the literature being referenced. Thank you! Angel

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
ChildofTheKing
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:34:49 PM

Neurons: 557
capo403 wrote:
ChildofTheKing wrote:

ChildofTheKing,

I assume these are literary quotes that you cite in Word of the Day. Would you mind citing the source of these quotes? I enjoy reading them and am just curious as to the literature being referenced. Thank you! Angel

In Response To: Capo403

Sure, but I was simply following the leader.
Ellenrita
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:52:44 PM

Neurons: 3,889
There was a "prissy" woman at the start of Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, she was even a teacher ~ but only lasted a minute or two.
kaleem
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:31:42 PM

Neurons: 9,948
Is this word "prissy" being used for girls (female) only? Think