The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Q & A Options
anton exobio
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:53:42 PM

Neurons: 56,491
idk wrote:
What kind of flower is your favorite, and why?

"Rafflesia arnoldii is a member of the genus Rafflesia. It is noted for producing the largest individual flower on Earth. It has a very strong and horrible odor of decaying flesh, earning it the nickname "corpse flower". It is endemic to the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra.[1] Although there are some plants with larger flowering organs like the titan arum (Amorphophallus titanum) and talipot palm (Corypha umbraculifera), those are technically clusters of many flowers." (wikipedia)

I find the most gigantic animals and vegetals interesting.

What is your favorite sound and why?

"I got a haircut and no one noticed." - William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
idk
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 12:09:41 AM

Neurons: 5,470
(Wow! Anton! What a huge flower! Thank you so much for this surprise.)

My favorite sound is children laughing and having a good time. Also, several kinds of music.

Why do you think people put real fireplace tools beside fake fireplaces?

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Anon
anton exobio
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:28:44 AM

It's the first time I hear about that.

If I put real fireplace tools beside my fake fireplace, it would certainly be because I would need to have a good feeling of having a real fireplace and I would need other people to have it too while seeing it. Also I think it would be really hard to find fake fireplace tools so getting real ones would be the easiest way. I wonder if the suppliers of fake fireplaces provide real or fake fireplace tools... Funny :D

If you were a student (again or for the first time), what would you be learning and why?

monicaS.
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:23:29 AM

Neurons: 472,937
Anthropology. I find the history of human behavior, structure of human societies and the linguistic aspect and changes that occur over time interesting.

If it had to always be nighttime or always daytime, which would you choose? And why?
anton exobio
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 6:52:22 AM

Permanent daytime. There are drawbacks in both cases but the fact that Sun light & heat cannot easily be substituted at Earth scale and that most Earth life forms need light and heat. Either way, the average temperature on Earth would be altered badly. My circadian rhythms may be altered too but I guess I'd get used to that. Many modifications. I would choose permanent daytime anyway.

How different are you from Earthlings in general?

monicaS.
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:25:37 PM

Behaviorally I am different otherwise I am the same in basic needs and functions as a human being.

You find a book and begin to read only to discover that it is your life. You get to the point that you are at now, do you turn the page knowing that you will not be able to change the events to come? Why?
anton exobio
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 4:48:10 AM

I see several possibilities:

1. what's written will be my future whether I read those pages or not;
2. what's written will become my future only if I read those pages.

1. I would read those pages since my future would already be written in stone and nothing could change that;
2. I wouldn't read those pages and I would focus on having an even better future than the potential one written in that book, whatever it was.

3. If I couldn't clearly know whether this book was about 1. or 2., I would decide not to read those pages because I wouldn't want to take the chance of diving into the 2. situation.

What are your favorite animals and why?

monicaS.
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 3:30:12 PM

Iguanas. They gentle sweet creatures with a strong protective side.
If you do not consider reptiles to be apart of the animal category i would say Panda's.
I loved them since I first saw them at a young age.

Why is it that if someone tells you that there are 1 billion stars in the universe you will believe them but if they tell you a wall has wet paint you will have to touch it to be sure?
idk
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 12:12:46 PM

Neurons: 5,470
The answer would be human nature except that there are those of who would never check to see if the paint is dry.

Why do fluffy white clouds look so pretty?

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Anon
anton exobio
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 6:54:07 AM

Because:

What would you change in Earthlings?

IMcRout
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:23:11 PM

Neurons: 563,379
Their attitude and their habitat.

Can you imagine that there are still intelligent people who refuse to accept that our world is warming up?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 2:58:23 PM

Neurons: 50,762
Hi again, Imc.

It really is hard to believe that there such people but I read about them all time. Plus I have a couple of friends who spout off but know nothing about science. They say how cold it is this winter so how could the earth be warming up. They confuse weather and climate plus ignore the weather extremes we are getting. And they say there have always been changes and it is not human activities that are causing it. Perhaps fear is clouding their judgment? (Or maybe they are not so intelligent after all?)

Of course there were periods of cold and warm long before humans. But the difference now is not that carbon dioxide levels are fluctuating as before but how fast the change upward has occurred recently because of the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation. And the prognosis for future spiralling upward changes (if we keep doing business as usual) - and thus the future of the earth - is not good.

http://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/

"The global concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere – the primary driver of recent climate change – has reached 400 parts per million (ppm) for the first time in recorded history, according to data from the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii.

Since 1958, the Mauna Loa Observatory has been gathering data on how much carbon dioxide is in the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide has increased by about 24 percent since the beginning of this record. (Source: NOAA)"

http://climate.nasa.gov/400ppmquotes/

Read what the scientists are saying.

http://co2now.org/current-co2/co2-now/annual-co2.html

::::::::

Why do some people procrastinate? (It drives me crazy.)

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2015 9:17:04 PM

Neurons: 205,010

Quote:
Why do some people procrastinate? (It drives me crazy.)

I'll tell you tomorrow . . . maybe.

Why do you ask?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2015 9:27:36 PM

Looking at the date on your question, it looks like a lot of people have put off answering!

I'd say the main reason is insecurity, uncertainty.
If I'm certain of what I'm doing, I have no difficulty getting started - it's only if I'm a bit uncertain that I hesitate.

Do children these days have more opportunity than seventy years ago?

Hope123
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2015 4:42:02 PM

Neurons: 50,762
Good question. It depends where one lives but the children I know can look forward to a choice of schooling, jobs, security, and different ways of communicating. They are healthier, have longer life expectancies than their great grandparents, and since their parents have more money, I expect they will too. They are raised in bigger houses, have more material things, and certainly go on fabulous exotic holidays far sooner than we ever did. They are free to choose a religion or not, have more friends, and get around more easily. They do have different problems than we encountered, but there are more opportunities.

(lol. Put off answering, Dragon. Good one.)

Have you ever gone to an auction sale and if so what did you buy? If not, would you like to go and what would you look for?

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
tootsie
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:42:25 AM

Neurons: 23,730

I'd be too afraid to go to an auction for fear of coughing/blinking/sneezing at the wrong moment, resulting in bidding for something I couldn't afford. However, I would love to witness someone else making an unexpected fortune (similar to the episode of "Only Fools & Horses" when Del-boy and Rodney became millionaires) - classic stuff!!!

Do some magic tricks leave you dumbstruck? - TV magicians became quite boring but some of the street magicians these days are awe-inspiring.

I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost. Winnie-the-Pooh
anton exobio
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 1:24:09 PM

Yes, they do.
I don't have a clear memory of those specific magic tricks but sure, they leave me dumstruck.

I realize I haven't seen any magic trick for a long time, whether it is on TV or in the internet or for real.

How not to fear rejection?

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2015 6:19:35 AM

The only way I know is to be absolutely sure of yourself, really (not me!).

I think that some people 'fake' it by putting on the attitude "well anyone who rejects me is an idiot".

Why does helping someone else feel so much more fun than doing something for yourself?

On magic tricks - I saw one close-up which still baffles me.
The 'magician' pulled nothing from his pocket, and said that it was an invisible pack of cards.
He 'shuffled' the cards and told me to pick one card from his 'invisible pack'.
He then told me to decide which card it was (I decided on the five of diamonds).
He then 'put them back in his pocket'.
After a bit of talk, he pulled a real, visible pack of cards from his pocket and shuffled them.
He told me to tell my friends (the audience) which card I had chosen earlier.
Then he showed the top card of the pack in his hand. It was the five of diamonds. Think Anxious