The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Ways to Remember New Words Options
Lucius Xu
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 10:21:43 PM

Neurons: 10
I arrived in Taiwan and found myself in a cute little hotel right beside the subway stop. In Main land China the subway is called the di tie but there was a name in Taiwan for the subway I had never heard before. It was called the jie yun. It just didn’t make sense to me to use this new word. Also when I lived in Taiwan there was no subway. I must admit it was quite convenient and operated identically to the subways on the main land. Finally as I couldn’t remember the words jie yun I had to take the word apart to remember it. Jie meaning meet. I’m going to meet someone at the subway.  yun huo is freight. Putting the two together in Chinese means rapid transit but for me to remember it I thought of meeting someone plus freight. That worked. Then the young man’s concert I went to was named Shi yu. He stayed at my house in Granada 20 years ago and his young female class mates made fun of him calling him Yu shi which means bathroom. Due to the girls teasing him I never forgot his name. Tricks like this to remember new words are always handy!
Annie nan
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:55:42 AM

Neurons: 33
Haaha, you are smart guy.I am learning Chinese too, at Hanbridge Mandarin Chinese School. Sometimes I have the same confusion, fortunately, my tutor is always there to help.Dancing Dancing Dancing