mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

help required, please :) Options
mmks
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 1:44:46 PM

Neurons: 3
Hi anyone!
I'm sorry for not speaking in norwegian but that's why i'm here eheh

I really like a norsk group and i would like to know the exact spelling of a song

"Ikke bør den love å vandre i mørket, som ikke har sett natten"
somewhere i've found it as "bør" and some other places as "må"

Can you tell me which is the right one?
Thanks!
Nocturnal558
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:30:19 AM

Neurons: 1,021
Hello there! I'm sorry you've waited almost three years for a reply to this, but I hope that you're still interested in the meaning of that sentence.

I've only just discovered this site, so you'll have to excuse me for not noticing sooner. :D

After a quick check online I found that these lyrics are from the Norwegian black metal band 'Ulver'. I don't listen to them myself, but after seeing this sentence of that song here, I will.

You're asking for the Norwegian spelling? Not the meaning of the sentence?

Anyway, in this context, 'bør' (should) is definitely correct, 'må' (must, to have to do something) changes the meaning slightly.

Because I enjoy this type of music myself, I will also provide an English translation, in order to make it clear how awesome these lyrics sound to my (native Norwegian) ears. There's just one thing I have to clarify first. 'Den' in Norwegian is essentially translatable to 'it', but in this case it is just a way of excluding gender from the meaning. It refers to a person, regardless of whether they are male or female.

If this were to be translated for authenticity, i.e. to keep the original meaning but keeping the words as similar as possible, instead of direct word-by-word translation, this is how I would put it:

"One should not tread in darkness, who has not seen the night"

Yeah. Let that one sink in. Anyway, I have to go. Must. Obtain. CD.....

Nocturnal