The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Help with translation needed Options
Libertad Peycor
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 1:52:22 PM

Neurons: 190,430
I've been asked to translate from Spanish to English a short text in a magazine web page. It summarises a Final Year Project in Architecture:
http://www.dtfmagazine.com/blog/pfc_lmp14/
The text to translate is at the bottom of the page. (By the way, if you like the project feel free to "facebook like it".)

As long as I'm no expert in Architecture I'd really appreciate any error correction on my first attempt, :

"Final Year Project – Architecture
To re-people the ruins – Housing development in Bujalcayado, Guadalajara

This Project is aimed at building twenty countryside homes for bird lovers around the ruins of Bujalcayado, an old town near Sigüenza, in the Spanish Guadalajara Province. The only remains from the old town are the houses’ containment walls, a few pieces of some small two stories dwellings and a little XII century church dedicated to Saint Quiteria. The new houses would be placed on a southward hill side, with sights to the Salado River Valley. They would be laid on a concrete layer, on top of the ancient stone containment wall. In contrast with this protected zone, there would be gardens wrapped in small scaled tensile structures, surrounded by short stone fences following the traces of the antique town’s walls.
"

TIA
NKM
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:41:16 PM

Neurons: 314,788
My Spanish is not very good, but I think I can help you with a few choices.

(1) I suspect that "containment walls" might be better rendered in English as "outer walls" or "retaining walls" or possibly "foundations."
(A "retaining wall" is not part of a house but rather a wall or terrace intended to hold back the earth that might otherwise fall or slide down.)

(2) "two stories dwellings" should be "two-story dwellings."

(3) I think that "with sights to" should be changed to "overlooking."

(4) "They would be laid" should be "They would be built."

(5) Again I see "containment wall," and I wonder if the correct translation might be "foundation."

(6) "small scaled" should be "small-scale"

(7) I don't know "tensile structures"; could they be "fences"?

(8) "short stone fences" should be "low stone walls."

(9) "antique" should be "ancient" (or "old").

May I suggest changing
"... gardens wrapped in small scaled tensile structures, surrounded by short stone fences following the traces of the antique town’s walls."
to
"... fenced-in gardens, with low stone walls along the traces of the old walls of the town."

A word of caution: My American English might seem strange to the people you're writing for. Maybe "containment wall" is a British term?

Libertad Peycor
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 7:03:51 AM

Neurons: 190,430
Thank you very much. Your reply's been very helpful.