The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

HELP - Translation Options
marcie22
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:54:35 PM

Neurons: 10
Hi! Can someone help me with this translation?:

"In 2013 I went to Berlin to study german. There I learned the language and also the german history and culture. I made new friends and I lived amazing experiences. It was a month of intense learning and moments that I will never forget!
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Marcela"

I translated in Google and did some adjustments. The result was:

" Im Jahr 2013 ging ich nach Berlin , um zu studieren Deutsch . Dort lernte ich die Sprache und auch die Deutsch Geschichte und Kultur. Ich habe gute Freunde kennen gelernt und ich lebte erstaunliche Erfahrungen . Es war ein Monat der intensiven Lernens und Momente, die ich nie vergessen werde !
Vielen danke !
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcela "

Is there any grammar mistake?

Thank you so much! :)))
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 8:05:59 AM

Neurons: 545,414
Let me just say that you must be a very quick learner if you managed to learn not only the German language, but also the German history and culture within a one month's stay in Berlin. Whistle

I know that you didn't mean it that way but devious minds like mine might interpret it like this.

Anyway, I think this is quite a decent attempt and any German would understand your text.

There are, however, a few mistakes and I'll try to correct them:

In 2013 I went to Berlin to study German.

Im Jahr(e) 2014 ging (oder besser: fuhr / reiste) ich nach Berlin um Deutsch zu lernen.

Im Jahr - spoken language; im Jahre - written language;
ich ging - quite possible, but more likely "New German", influenced by the English language;
study German - if you went to a university you would use 'studieren'. More likely you went there to learn German or improve your knowledge --> lernen;

There I learned the language and also about German history and culture. - ("the" would imply you learned everything about it, which is not very likely within one month).

Dort lernte ich die Sprache und auch etwas über die deutsche Geschichte und Kultur.

deutsche - it's an adjective --> lower case; Geschichte und Kultur are feminine --> deutsche

I made new friends and I lived amazing experiences.

Ich habe neue Freunde kennengelernt und viele erstaunliche Erfahrungen gemacht / viele erstaunliche Erlebnisse gehabt.

It was a month of intense learning and moments that I will never forget!

Es war ein Monat (des) intensiven Lernens und von Momenten, die ich nie vergessen werde!

It is 'das Lernen' so it should be 'des Lernens' but in this case it is better to leave out the article.

But, as I said, on the whole, quite well done.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
marcie22
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 11:31:42 AM

Neurons: 10
Thank you for all the corrections, IMcRout! That was really helpful!