The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

C'est du propre Options
Monkeyaround
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:37:18 AM

Neurons: 2,159
I am not sure if I should post somewhere else; so someone thinks It should be the grammar forum, please let me know.

My question is

What is the difference and how does the meaning change from just 'propre' to 'du propre'?

1. C'est propre
2. C'est du propre

Thank you
SandraM
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:11:45 PM

Neurons: 1,449
Hi Monkeyaround,
You're posting in the right place as your question is in English and about translation/meaning between French and English.
The two sentences have quite different meanings and are used in very different contexts:
1. C'est propre = literally "it's clean" about absence of dirt or soil on something or in someplace, and figuratively, as in English "it's clean", about moral, professional, ethical cleanliness, as in "I looked into this charity accounts, it's clean".
2. It's a phrase that has a similar word-by-word meaning to nb 1 but is always used in an ironic way meaning "what a mess/what an outrage", eg a parent entering their teenage kid's room only to find the kid's mess or an anti-corruption campaigner discovering someone in their own offices has been acting inappropriately and exclaiming "C'est du propre !".
Hope that helps.
Monkeyaround
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 2:52:17 AM

Neurons: 2,159
Thank you so much Sandra