The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

me talk pretty one day. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:44:49 PM

Neurons: 3,101
What does everyone think about the book Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris) ?

I love how it explores the learning process for language in so many varied examples.

The speech therapist story with the trick to get him to say "I'm thorry" was a kicker. I can't believe he went out of his way, as a child, to learn so many synonym for common words so that he wouldn't have to pronounce anything with consonants that are obviously butchered by a speech impediment (lisp). If that wasn't fluffed up at all, that's an amazing personal history !

The story involving people in a French class learning about Jesus Christ and the Easter Bunny is my favorite. The translating is hysterical and makes you think about how silly easily accepted traditions can seem from a fresh perspective.

Sadly, I think I loaned out the book to a friend, and I can't remember who it was, but it hasn't been on my shelf since. I would love to go back and re-read the religious teachings story (the one I just mentioned above) to read about the flying bell that brings candy to everyone for the day of the almighty bunny.

Also, last year, Sedaris put out another book called When You Are Engulfed in Flames. I'm sure it's another text to knock you out of your rocker in a quick second. Any brief user reviews ?

Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:13:57 AM

Neurons: 39,962
When You Are Engulfed In Flames was the funniest book I have read in years.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
Drew
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:43:57 PM

Neurons: 4,487
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim is the only book I've read by David Sedaris, and I loved it. I'll have to keep those other titles in mind.
MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 12:20:32 PM

Neurons: 6,142
I think David Sedaris is a genius. Recently, my father picked up a copy of one of his books and began reading it aloud to me. By the end of the first chapter, the two of us completely dissolved in tears of laughter and could barely breathe. I love his family dysfunction. What is so amazing is that the things he writes about—his experiences and interactions—are not entirely unusual, but the way he approaches them and writes about them makes you recognize the many absurdities of life.

I don't recommend reading his books. (Let me explain.) Get the audiobooks! While I love sitting down and reading a good book, nothing perks up a long drive or commute to work better than a good audiobook. The way it is read makes all the difference, and David Sedaris does the reading for all of his books (as far as I know). He does a fantastic job! Because his writing deals largely with individual anecdotes, these books are even perfect for short car rides that are frequently interrupted. The only thing you have to worry about when listening to these books is actually staying on the road while doubled over in laughter.
risadr
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:13:53 AM

Neurons: 3,545
David Sedaris is hilarious, and I have no wish to downplay his wit at all, but his sister, Amy, is equally funny and charming. If you haven't read anything by her (she most recently published a cookbook), you definitely should.

It's like a book elegantly bound, but in a language that you can't read just yet. "I Will Possess Your Heart," Death Cab for Cutie