The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Yiddish/Hebrew to English - Please help with one word! Options
superechnik
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 6:33:04 PM

Neurons: 13
Hello all, this is my first post to this site.

I am struggling to read one word on my 2nd great grandfather's naturalization certificate. The language is probably Yiddish. The person in question's English name was Martin and Hebrew name was Mordechai.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69k70ixailyovnr/Martin%20Rosenberg%20Yiddish.JPG

The two images above are from the same document on two different pages. The signature starts with the letter M followed by a dot and the Hebrew characters.

At first glance I thought perhaps the letters are Vav-Yud-Zayin-Lamed-Tsadik. After reviewing some Yiddish signatures online I saw many Mems that looked like vertical lines, so thought this could be Mem-Alef-Resh-Tav-Ayin(?), with the Resh and Tav running together.

It would mean alot to me if my ancestor's first name could be rediscovered; any help is very greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
MiTziGo
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:06:50 PM

Neurons: 6,142
Welcome, superechnik. I'm sorry I can't be of better help, but that handwriting is nearly impossible for me to try and decipher. I did some digging, and some Yiddish forms of Mordechai are Mottel (מָאטְל) and Motke (מָאטקֶע), but the signature doesn't look like either of those to me (It looks like too many letters). Also, both signatures look so different that if I didn't know better, I'd think they were two different words. Sorry!
superechnik
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:03:55 AM

Neurons: 13
Michal,

Thank you so much for taking a look. I've traced the family to Smorgon and am desperately trying to dig deeper into the past. Martin's father was a shochet and the religious involvement of this family is important to me. Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Thanks again!