The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is he saying "rejeté", "rajouté", "racheté" or something else? Quebec French, thank you! Options
KMPageau
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:39:11 PM

Neurons: 193
In this French radio tape which I am trying to transcribe, and to translate into English, at 5 minutes 26 seconds, there's a fellow speaking, Jean-Guy Frenette:

Source: http://archives.radio-canada.ca/emissions/578-6159/page/10/

My attempted French transcript:

Quote:
L’Etat c’est plus que ça pour nous – quand on dit que l’Etat c’est un (ROUAGE) de notre exploitation, c’est que l’Etat comme structure politique – effectivement il est comme appareil politique qu’il contrôle – effectivement (rejeté [?], rajouté [?], racheté [?] à toutes les autres structures de la société.

Et entre autres aux structures économiques et financières. –

My attempted English translation:

Quote:
Government is more than that for us – when we say The Government, it’s a WHEEL we use, it’s that the Government as a political structure – effectively is like a political apparatus which it controls – is effectively geared into all the other structures of the society.

And, among others, to the economic and financial structures.

I think he’s saying ratcheted; I think he’s trying to compare this proposed political apparatus to a GEAR, as in a watch or an old-fashioned clock. To convey the idea of all the GEARS synchronized together and working together. Am I in the ballpark? Is my attempted translation fairly accurate?

P.S. The document under discussion here is from 1972, the political manifesto of the Parti Québécois, entitled: "Quand nous serons vraiment chez nous". I scanned the 140-page manifesto in a local university law library, and I've PDF'd it. If you wish to consult this document to clarify what the man is talking about in the French radio show, I've uploaded it, and it's available online here:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/5708272/file.html

Thanks, if you can help me to clear this up.

excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:10:59 AM

Neurons: 32,652
If you know anyone from the Languedoc they might be able to help. ( pronunciation is not dissimilar ) We did have a few Quebecois members, but I'm not sure if they're still around. Alternatively try asking Radio-Canada for some transcripts - they're a pretty relaxed crew.

Sanity is not statistical
SandraM
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:37:04 AM

Neurons: 1,454
KMPageau wrote:

[quote]L’Etat c’est plus que ça pour nous – quand on dit que l’Etat c’est un (ROUAGE) de notre exploitation, c’est que l’Etat comme structure politique – effectivement il est comme appareil politique qu’il contrôle – effectivement (rejeté [?], rajouté [?], racheté [?] à toutes les autres structures de la société.

I hear "est intimement relié à toutes les autres structures de la société."
KMPageau
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:47:27 PM

excaelis wrote:
If you know anyone from the Languedoc they might be able to help. ( pronunciation is not dissimilar ) We did have a few Quebecois members, but I'm not sure if they're still around. Alternatively try asking Radio-Canada for some transcripts - they're a pretty relaxed crew.

Thanks for the tip. I actually plan to bother them to put the whole series of tapes online for this discussion. The tape I'm translating here refers to a show the previous day with RENE LEVESQUE discussing the manifesto. But that show is not online.

I will ask if they have transcripts at the same time as I bother them for this!

KMPageau
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:49:56 PM

SandraM wrote:
KMPageau wrote:

[quote]L’Etat c’est plus que ça pour nous – quand on dit que l’Etat c’est un (ROUAGE) de notre exploitation, c’est que l’Etat comme structure politique – effectivement il est comme appareil politique qu’il contrôle – effectivement (rejeté [?], rajouté [?], racheté [?] à toutes les autres structures de la société.

I hear "est intimement relié à toutes les autres structures de la société."

Thank you. RELIE makes sense. I think I will use it, and footnote all these very kind recommendations.