The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Messiah in Korean Options
Messiah
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 7:08:50 AM

Neurons: 10
Can anyone write how Messiah is written in KOREAN?
im not using google translator because of the unaccurate it is.
WJ
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:25:35 AM

Neurons: 171,210
It is written as 메시아 or 구세주 in Korean. Hope it is too late.
Doce
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:38:41 AM

Neurons: 26,139
You probably mean: 'I hope it is NOT too late'.
The first one is similar: Me-shi-a.- but the second one, Gu-se-ju... (?) What does it mean? What's the difference, Won-jin? By the way, shouldn't your family name, Jeong, be placed in front of your given name?

The One ;)
WJ
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 10:06:48 AM

Neurons: 171,210
I'm so sorry about that. Why did I not type NOT? (Actually, I'm giggling now.)
I think we need to make something clear. Do you want to know how it is written according to its English pronunciation?
Messiah means 메시아 or 구세주 in Korea, which means 메시아 and 구세주 are Korean words for messiah in English.
But, there is a difference between the two words. Technically, 메시아 is not a Korean word, but it is borrowed from the pronunciation of messiah, probably according to the romanization of Korean. Anyways, we use both words interchangeably.
FYI, the closest pronunciation would be 미사이어, not 메시아.(I think it can also change depending on dialects.)
I hope this helps you a lot. Since I'm Korean, I'm having difficulty explaining more clearly.

About the family name thing, my account is synced with Google. I guess that's why my family name '정' is placed after the given name. I don't care, anyway. :)
By the way, how do you know 'jeong' is a family name? It seems like you speak Korean really well.
Doce
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 1:21:27 PM

Neurons: 26,139
I started studying Korean on my own, but I need to be in a certain mood to be able to concentrate. I know the letters and a couple of words and phrases, but I'm faaaaar :p from speaking it well.
Thank King Sejong the Great for deciding to have this alphabet created! I find it very nice, easier than ours, actually. I can write my name using Hangul. :)
And it's very clear to me that 메시아 is more or less how I would pronounce it in my own language (Romanian), while 미사이어 would be how an English native speaker would pronounce it. Me-shi-a vs Mi-sa-i-ă. (어 is in fact a sound in-between the Romanian ă and o, I don't identify it as a mixture :p of e and o, as the Romanization of this letter might suggest.)
Before 1989, we used to place our family names before the other names, too. My first name is Oana, my middle name is Maria and my family name is Uliu, so I used to introduce myself as Uliu Oana-Maria, but now I introduce myself as Oana-Maria Uliu.
울류 와나 마리아

The One ;)