The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

what do you think about GUY FAWKES ? Options
raggie
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:00:27 AM

Neurons: 171
failed hero or treason? which one
I think he was about to be hero but unfortunately busted and executed. November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day, but he is remembered as a traitor. Should he be accepted of image as a threat for democracy or as a warrior of democrasy? COME ON GUYS Dancing let's comment on GUY ...

What a run, what a run!
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:59:33 AM

Neurons: 39,962
Wasn't he just trying to replace one religion with another? How would that make one a hero of democracy? I do admire the way he cheated his executioners of the opportunity to extend his torture.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
Angus
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:19:56 AM

Neurons: 5,146
Back in grade school we were taught that Fawkes was universally vilified as a traitor and would-be assassin. Today a BBC poll lists him as one of the "Top 100 greatest Britons". Depending on the way the wind blows, I think it quite possible Timothy McVeigh will one day achieve this status in the United States.

"Everyone has a plan until he gets punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
raggie
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:51:05 AM

Neurons: 171
Luftmarque wrote:
Wasn't he just trying to replace one religion with another? How would that make one a hero of democracy? I do admire the way he cheated his executioners of the opportunity to extend his torture.

This is about religion, man. Not democracy. It is the freedom of faith.

Fawkes is the man because of whom the cellars of Westminister Palace have being checked on every November 5th. Angel

What a run, what a run!
kaliedel
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:20:03 PM

Neurons: 1,029
Fawkes is equated with religious freedom, but I'm afraid he might be forever associated with the horrific V for Vendetta film from here on out (my apologies to those who liked it.)