The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Por Favor Puedes Ayudarme Con Estas Letras. Muchas Gracias. Options
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:01:43 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Por Favor Puedes Ayudarme Con Este Poema Lirico. Muchas Gracias.

I must be missing something in the translation of these lyrics.

Is the basic idea that he/she is selling their own black eyes because the eyes never see their loved one?

Negro can mean loved one as well as black?
:::::
Yo Vendo Unos Ojos Negros - Lyrics

Yo vendo unos ojos negros
quien me los quiere comprar,
los vendo por hechiceros (o traicionero - treacherous)

porque me han pagado mal.
Yo vendo unos ojos negros
quien me los quiere comprar,
los vendo por hechiceros
porque me han pagado mal.

Mas te quisiera, mas te amo yo
y todas las noches las paso
suspirando por tu amor.
yo... mas te quisiera, mas te amo yo
suspirando por tu amor.

Cada vez que tengo penas
voy a la orilla del mar
a preguntarle a las olas
si han visto a mi amor pasar.
Cada vez que tengo penas
voy a la orilla del mar
a preguntarle a las olas
si han visto a mi amor pasar.

Mas te quisiera, mas te amo yo
suspirando por tu amor.
yo... mas te quisiera, mas te amo yo
suspirando por tu amor
suspirando por tu amor.

Read more: Nat King Cole - Yo Vendo Unos Ojos Negros Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Hope2
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 9:02:33 AM

I moved this thread to the proper Subforum of Spanish/English.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Desiree
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:49:01 PM

Neurons: 150,880
Hope2 : "Yo vendo unos ojos negros" es una antigua tonada del folklore chileno. Seguramente
Nat King Cole la tradujo al inglés.
Sólo unos pequeños detalles. En la segunda estrofa debe decir" Más "me" quisieras.. ( a mí)).
El "yo" de la tercera estrofa está de más. En la penúltima estrofa, debe decir "me" voy.."
Ella no está vendiendo sus ojos porque no verá a su amor sino porque son "hechiceros"
"Ojos negros hechiceros" significa que todos se enamoran de ella por sus bellos ojos negros
(grandes,negros como carbón), pero esos ojos no han despertado el amor en la persona que ella ama,por lo tanto,"esos ojos la han traicionado" porque no tuvieron la fuerza para atraer a
quién ella quería "le han pagado mal" no le sirven a su propósito.
Si("más me quisieras, más te amo yo. ¿Cómo mide ella la fuerza de su amor? "porque todas las
noches lo pasa suspirando por su amor" Muy bella canción.

Hope2
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:51:52 PM

Muchas gracias, Desiree. Yo comprendo, pienso.

La mujer con los ojos lindos piensa en vender sus ojos negros porque ellos no atraen al hombre a quien ella ama. No le sirven a su propósito.

Correcto?

Y mi gramatica? (Except for accent marks.)

Hope2
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:59:01 PM

Desiree
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:43:06 PM

Neurons: 150,880

Hope2. You chose exactly "ojos hechiceros", but imagine them completely "black" in contrast
with light skin and black hair,they look beautiful.
Everything is correct. I think,that accents are difficult for you. Learn this rule:
Todas las palabras en que se carga la voz en la tercera sílaba,llevan acento,se llaman
"esdrújulas" Ej Gra-má-ti ca ; - Sí-la-ba , -; A-mé-ri-ca - Fí-si-ca - etc.
It may help to know that.

Hope2
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 11:54:24 AM

Thanks, Desiree.

These were the blackest-eyes picture I could find. I have seen such eyes and they really are beautiful.

I think I know the rules for the accents and where I should have put them - just not how to do them on my iPad as I have never bothered to find out how. I have not needed them till now. The one accent in my answer is where I copied your exact phrase - just lazy I guess!

But I have copied your rule into Pages (Word) on my iPad for future reference. It seems to me that Spanish accents are actually easier than French because in Spanish they follow rigid rules and they are for pronunciation. You know to accent it when speaking if there is an accent on that syllable. Well, it has been a long time since I studied French so I have forgotten most of it.

And I have not studied Spanish or tried to speak/write it for at least three years and have read very little in Spanish lately. I mostly taught myself with books, tapes, and CDs with a few lessons later on in Conversational Spanish. I never really got a chance to practise it except when in Mexico for the winters. And the Mexicans all wanted to practise their English, not listen to my halting Spanish. We are not going back to Mexico so I have no incentive to continue learning. At least that is the plan right now.

I really only use Spanish when listening to some of the beautiful music and it is very hard sometimes to catch the lyrics.

But at least I got this puzzle of the title figured out thanks to you.

omicrom
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 12:15:55 PM

Neurons: 70,391
hi,
i've read this post some days ago and found it quite interesting

If you want to see blak eyes you may find many among the spanish painter julio romero de torres artworks. he is famous for his portraits of gypsy/andalusian women. just look for them in the internet.

as to the translation of ojos hechiceros i would rather use wicked eyes:

wicked
\wick"ed\ (?), a. [oe. wicked, fr. wicke wicked; probably originally the same word as wicche wizard, witch. see witch.]
1. evil in principle or practice; deviating from morality; contrary to the moral or divine law; addicted to vice or sin; sinful; immoral; profligate; -- said of persons and things; as, a wicked king; a wicked woman; a wicked deed; wicked designs. hence, then, and evil go with thee along, thy offspring, to the place of evil, hell, thou and thy wicked crew! never, never, wicked man was wise.
2. cursed; baneful; hurtful; bad; pernicious; dangerous. [obs.] "wicked dew." this were a wicked way, but whoso had a guide. plowman.

it ads much subtle meaning, doesn't it
Hope2
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:56:08 PM

Quote - omicron - "it ads much subtle meaning, doesn't it"

Si, Señor o Señorita! Gracias.