The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Usefulness of Latin in the study of modern languages Options
elisa
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:07:52 AM

Neurons: 1,418
Latin is a dead language, but we should not forget that it is the common ancestor of numerous modern languages (see the Romance languages group!).

Sometimes people contest the idea of studying Latin by claiming that it is better to concentrate on lively languages.
However, I believe that Latin is useful in order to get a deeper comprehension of modern languages (even if they don't derive directly from Latin) and can be used to improve the learning process of various lively languages.

What is your opinion?

*ELISA*
SandraM
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:08:13 AM

Neurons: 1,444
I completely agree with you Elisa. I used to teach Latin and sometimes my pupils' parents would ask me "What is Latin's use?". I always answered that Latin was useless to get quick cash or food (I made a few euros translating some documents issued by the Holy Seat, though), but so was culture, civilisation, literature, art, history etc. So, all our choices in our studies aren't about studying 'bankable' subjects,are they?
Another pro Latin point: once you've learnt Latin, it's easier to learn Italian, French or Spanish or just to understand what the newspapers are talking about when you are on holiday in these countries. And you can show off your knowledge in Roman catholic churches too, and get yourself a cute girlfriend/boyfriend ;-)
elisa
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 9:14:28 AM

Neurons: 1,418
I see your point!
I studied Latin & ancient Greek and many people asked me what kind of "benefit" I could get from this study.
Actually, these languages provided me so many tools for a deep understanding of Italian (my mother-language) that I ceased to use the dictionary to search the meaning of a word, because I could easily guess it by looking at its Greek or Latin roots!

*ELISA*