The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

word order Options
frosty rime
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:58:52 PM

Neurons: 13,151
Hi all,

I stumbled on a problem with word order in the following two cases.

• I think the sentence should be written "Was willst du haben" instead of "Was du haben willst" in the following text and I want to know whether I am wrong or right about it.

"....ich kann wohl Rat schaffen, aber was gibst du mir, wenn ich dein Spielwerk wieder heraufhole?"
"Was du haben willst, lieber Frosch", sagte sie,"meine Kleider, meine Perlen,meine Edelstein und meine Krone, die ich trage."

• I don't understand why 'die mag ich nicht', not 'die ich mag nicht' in the following text.

"Der Frosch antwortete: "Deine Kleider, deiner Perlen und Edelsteine und deine goldene Krone, die mag ich nicht, aber wenn du mich lieb haven willst......."

danke im Voraus,

devil rides vocabularies.
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:51:56 AM

Neurons: 557,740
@1 - The frog asks a question. It/he wants to know 'aber was gibst du mir, wenn ich dein Spielwerk wieder heraufhole?' - What will you give me if I retrieve ....?

The princess replies to the question in bold - leaving out the words 'I'll give you' - by saying 'Whatever you want ...'.

I don't know why you expect the word order of a question in an answer???

@2 - A 'normal' sentence would have the word order 'Ich mag deine Kleider ... nicht', thus: Subject - Verb - Object.
If you want to emphasize the importance of the object of the sentence, you put it in front position, 'Deine Kleider ... mag ich nicht', thus exchanging the positions of subject and verb.
Now, if you were born in the late 18th century, would want to educate your readers and pass on the moral of a story by emphasizing even more, you just might be tempted to add another 'die' (= those) and take up the object once more.

The princess had made several suggestions of what she could give the frog in return and the frog replies, repeating all the items (clothes, pearls, jewels, crown) and concluding 'those I do not want, but ...'.

So it is a kind of double emphasis, not necessarily with the words and stylistic means of the 21st century.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
frosty rime
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 4:53:48 AM

Neurons: 13,151
I see, thanks for your kind explanation.

devil rides vocabularies.