The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Kalitka Options
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:01:07 PM

Neurons: 410,339
Does anyone know Калитка, a kind of Carelian pastry baked and eaten in Northern Russia?
What is it like and how does it differ from Finnish Carelian pastries?

Thank you in advance. Drool

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Catherine344
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:40:39 AM

Neurons: 3
I've heard about Калитка as a kind of Carelian pastry baked first time. As I know Калитка - means only gates or garden gates in Russia..
katuxaxa
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:43:16 PM

Neurons: 9
Калитки — традиционная старокарельская и вепсская выпечка. Их пекли и пекут различной формы: круглые, овальные, четырех-, пяти-, шестиугольные и даже семиугольные. Края либо защипывали — отсюда название "sipainiekku, rypirtty", либо загибали на 4— 7 углов. Считается, что калитки,Kalittoa- исконно карельская еда. И в нынешней Финляндии именно под таким названием продаются похожие лепешки с начинкой - с картофельным пюре, ячневой кашей, толокном.
recipe
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:10:00 PM

Thank you, katuxaxa. With my poor Russian it took some time to figure this out. Learned a bit again.

katuxaxa
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:37:13 AM

Neurons: 9
I'm sorry. I should have written it in English. I tried to translate it.
Kalitki - traditional Carelian pastry. Thay can be of different shapes: round, oval, with 4-7
angles. the sides are either pinched (that's why they are called "sipainiekku, rypirtty") or
turned up. Kalitki are considered to be native Carelain food. In Finland you can buy cookies that
are called the same and resemble kalitki. Their filling can be different - smashed potatoes,
oat flour, fine-ground barley.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:53:36 AM

katuxaxa wrote:
I'm sorry. I should have written it in English. I tried to translate it.
Kalitki - traditional Carelian pastry. Thay can be of different shapes: round, oval, with 4-7
angles. the sides are either pinched (that's why they are called "sipainiekku, rypirtty") or
turned up. Kalitki are considered to be native Carelain food. In Finland you can buy cookies that
are called the same and resemble kalitki. Their filling can be different - smashed potatoes,
oat flour, fine-ground barley.

Thanks. I could translate it myself, just took some time. I learned Russian 3 years in high School.

So, Kalitki are really like traditional Carelian pastries (not cookies ;-). That's what I was looking after and interested how widely known in Russia today. As a Finn I of course know those pastries, they are every day meal here. I read somewhere that back in the 18th century they we eaten in Czar's Court.