The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The case of preoccupation. Options
fruitjam
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:24:45 AM

Neurons: 268
Friends,

Recently, I received an invitation to attend a seminar. Since I had other engagements lined up, I was not too keen to participate in that. Hence, I decided to send the following reply.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. Regrettably, owing to preoccupations, I shall not be in a position to participate in the seminar."

Was there a better way to use the word "preoccupation" in the above sentence? Could I have framed the sentence in a much more aesthetically pleasing tone?

Many thanks in advance.

Respectfully yours,
Fj
Johan
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:31:40 AM

Neurons: 6
"Thank you for your invitation. Unfortunatly I will not be able to attend the seminar due to other commitments"

Do not confuse me with facts; My mind is already made up...
RARA
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:38:13 AM

Neurons: 2,097
Preoccupation is not the correct word at all.

Thank you for your kind invitation, regrettably I have a previous engagement.

RA

Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence, Henrik Tikkanen
rezafo
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:50:35 AM

Neurons: 143
Dear Fruitjam ,

Thanks for the invitation, but I am afraid I will not be able to attend the meeting despite my keen interest, since I have already some commitments arranged.

[ then you can embellish you letter with:, I hope I can show up for the upcoming seminars In future, …….. ]

" Preoccupation " refers to sth which you are excessively thinking of or worried about, it may not be incorrect one but not a felicitous one.

I'm good, you're better, there's no best!
fruitjam
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:02:03 AM

RARA wrote:
Preoccupation is not the correct word at all.

Thank you for your kind invitation, regrettably I have a previous engagement.

RA

Can you explain with a little more detail on why "preoccupation" is not the right word at all to be used in this sentence?

I have found several instances where this word has been used to express a situation wherein an appointment or an invitation cannot be honoured owing to prior commitment. The following link is one such instance.

Code:
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/rawdataupload/upload/insa/INSA_1/20005b83_71.pdf

Respectfully yours,
Fj
fruitjam
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:11:58 AM

rezafo wrote:
Dear Fruitjam ,

Thanks for the invitation, but I am afraid I will not be able to attend the meeting despite my keen interest, since I have already some commitments arranged.

[ then you can embellish you letter with:, I hope I can show up for the upcoming seminars In future, …….. ]

" Preoccupation " refers to sth which you are excessively thinking of or worried about, it may not be incorrect one but not a felicitous one.

Thank you all. These appear to be far more suitable alternatives than the one I had posted.

Respectfully yours,
Fj
rezafo
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:39:38 AM

Neurons: 143

I read that text. Thank you. Followings are my comments:

1- That text sounded too formal. If I want to use it, then I'd have to adjust the whole registration of my letter so that all words go with one another, But is it the case which I used to write my letters to my person/s in contact?

2- Of course, your prearranged meetings and schedule are what you are worried about and thinking of, but preoccupation refers to the ones which linger in your mind for a long time, not probably less than one or two weeks.

3- However, I remain flexible to see if we can hear from some editors for using this word.
Good luck with your business

I'm good, you're better, there's no best!
Seeker
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:45:28 AM

Neurons: 1,715
My choices:

previous engagement
or
prior commitment

Webster's defines preoccupation: extreme or excessive concern with something.

Preoccupation sounds little harsh and a little selfish and uninterested.

I'm an editor.
fruitjam
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:47:08 AM

Seeker wrote:
My choices:

previous engagement
or
prior commitment

Webster's defines preoccupation: extreme or excessive concern with something.

Preoccupation sounds little harsh and a little selfish and uninterested.

I'm an editor.

I will take your word for it. The more people contribute, the richer I am with knowledge. Whistle

Respectfully yours,
Fj
fred
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:27:33 AM

Neurons: 4,457
I'm told I'm preoccupied with sex.
"I'm sorry I can can not attend your function, I am preoccupied with sex."

"Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? See it could be that he wrote the writin' all wrong. Here I'd be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see? You probably been doin' it your whole life, just a readin' wrong writin' and not even knowin‘ it." Festus
fruitjam
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:54:55 AM

fred wrote:

Well, thank you for this alternative too.

But, while this is not entirely incorrect in my case, it is hardly a felicitous one under the circumstances, shall we say. Angel

Respectfully yours,
Fj
fred
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:15:40 AM

Neurons: 4,457
fruitjam wrote:
fred wrote:

But, while this is not entirely incorrect in my case, it is hardly a felicitous under the circumstances, shall we say. Angel

On the contrary, skipping the seminar to indulge in a certain preoccupation would certainly be a mark of happiness or good fortune.

"Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? See it could be that he wrote the writin' all wrong. Here I'd be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see? You probably been doin' it your whole life, just a readin' wrong writin' and not even knowin‘ it." Festus
fruitjam
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:07:53 PM

fred wrote:
fruitjam wrote:
fred wrote:

But, while this is not entirely incorrect in my case, it is hardly a felicitous under the circumstances, shall we say. Angel

On the contrary, skipping the seminar to indulge in a certain preoccupation would certainly be a mark of happiness or good fortune.

Even if that was something which requires copious amounts of attention and devotion to settle matters which might just be purely business or academic? But then, of course, it can always be argued that preoccupation with sex can be business-related or academic, or even an asymmetric mixture of both. Drool

Respectfully yours,
Fj
JPK
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:06:29 PM

Neurons: 1,998
Dear buddy,

This seminar seems boring as all hell and I would rather spend my insufficient free time away from work doing something that is actually interesting.

I would be interested in hearing about any future seminar so I can turn you down again.

Sincerely,

fruitjam

p.s. does your wife need any company while you are away at that silly meeting?
fruitjam
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:09:29 AM

JPK wrote:
Dear buddy,

This seminar seems boring as all hell and I would rather spend my insufficient free time away from work doing something that is actually interesting.

I would be interested in hearing about any future seminar so I can turn you down again.

Sincerely,

fruitjam

Wish I could really write and get away with that! Dancing

Respectfully yours,
Fj
JPK
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:01:21 PM

Neurons: 1,998
fruitjam wrote:
JPK wrote:
Dear buddy,

Sincerely,

fruitjam

Wish I could really write and get away with that! Dancing

I did not think you would actually use it, but I had a lot of fun writing it! Whistle