The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Need a couple of sentences translated into Italian Options
whiggles
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:24:39 AM

Neurons: 9
Hey folks,

I'm a would-be screenwriter currently embarking on a script that includes a brief scene set in a bar in Rome, and have a handful of snatches of dialogue that I would like, for the sake of believability, to present in Italian. I don't speak the language myself and would be eternally grateful if someone could give me a translation of the following lines. The character speaking them is supposed to be fluent in Italian but not actually Italian herself, so they don't need to be too colloquial.

The lines are:

1. "I'm dry. Anyone else for another?" (Spoken when the character's glass is empty and is asking her friends if they want another drink)
2. "Same again, thanks." (When she goes to the bar to get a refill)
3. "Are you OK?"

Many thanks in advance. :)

Michael
sarah71
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:21:47 AM

Neurons: 77,796
whiggles wrote:
Hey folks,

I'm a would-be screenwriter currently embarking on a script that includes a brief scene set in a bar in Rome, and have a handful of snatches of dialogue that I would like, for the sake of believability, to present in Italian. I don't speak the language myself and would be eternally grateful if someone could give me a translation of the following lines. The character speaking them is supposed to be fluent in Italian but not actually Italian herself, so they don't need to be too colloquial.

The lines are:

1. "I'm dry. Anyone else for another?" (Spoken when the character's glass is empty and is asking her friends if they want another drink)
2. "Same again, thanks." (When she goes to the bar to get a refill)
3. "Are you OK?"

Many thanks in advance. :)

Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to TFD forum! Hey, I might play a little part in your future wonderful screenwriter career, wow Drool!
Here's how I would turn the above lines into everyday Italian:

1. Ho la gola secca. Qualcuno ne vuole un altro?
2. Lo stesso, grazie.
3. Stai bene?

Cheers!

whiggles
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:35:00 AM

Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for the quick reply! These translations are incredibly helpful.

Just one thing to clarify, when my character says "I'm dry", I should probably have explained that she's referring to her glass being empty rather than being thirsty (from my rudimentary knowledge of Italian, your translation has the character referring to her throat being dry). So perhaps the line should instead be "My glass is empty" - but something a bit less formal than that.

Thanks again!
sarah71
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:55:17 AM

Neurons: 77,796
whiggles wrote:
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for the quick reply! These translations are incredibly helpful.

Just one thing to clarify, when my character says "I'm dry", I should probably have explained that she's referring to her glass being empty rather than being thirsty (from my rudimentary knowledge of Italian, your translation has the character referring to her throat being dry). So perhaps the line should instead be "My glass is empty" - but something a bit less formal than that.

Thanks again!

I sort of had understood what you had meant with the first line, just had thought it wouldn't have sounded so "natural" translating it with "Sono a secco". I'll try to be more specific: the above translation does perfectly makes sense in Italian, it just sounds to me like someone speaking Italian while trying to sound more "american", as if copying some movie character. Anyway, since it's a foreign (English?) woman speaking Italian, I guess she might seem plausible. Summing up: "sono a secco" perfectly fits your line.
whiggles
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 11:25:25 AM

Many thanks again, Sarah. I think I'll go with "Sono a secco" for the time being, but I'll keep a note of your original translation. :)