The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does the term "in de kost" mean? Options
sx
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:02:28 AM

Neurons: 6
I grew up with this term "in de kost" or word "indekost", I've known the meaning as "to rent a room/house" later I found out from random conversation on internet the meaning it isn't "to rent a room/house". So what's the meaning of it? Is it also common term in Dutch ?
uuaschbaer
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:10:39 PM

Neurons: 6,180
I think it means joining in with meals somewhere or sharing food with people, in the context of renting rooms it might mean that residents cook for each other and eat together (I'm guessing, it may also not mean that), though I don't remember having seen it used.

Klaas V
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 6:28:20 PM

Neurons: 4,802
It's a bit ancient, but it wouldn't surprise me if those people show up again (or shown up yet, who knows?) in this time. When someone is in de kost s/he is kostganger (i.e. more or less along the lines of the English word 'guest') means that someone is living in a house, gets food, drinks, a bed(room) from the so-called kostwinner in exchange for doing (garden/house/etc.) chores:

Noun (f/m) (pl. kostwinners): Person of the entire company living under one roof who receives the highest payments because of her/his work or whatever way income comes in.

Related fixed expression: Onze Lieve Heer heeft rare kostgangers can be interpreted/translated as The Lord has weird guests

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
IMcRout
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:37:38 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Club's remarks reminded me of the German word 'Kostgänger', a term used mainly in the first half of the last century.
It described working people who paid for a regular warm meal in a private location close to their job because the way home would have been too long for their lunchbreak.
The English word 'boarder' can have a similar meaning.
'Kost und Logis' would be 'bed and board' (or rather the other way around) and I can well imagine that 'hij / zij is in de kost' can have a similar meaning.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
sx
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:20:38 AM

Neurons: 6
Thank you uuaschbaer, ClubFavolosa, IMcRout

Would you happen to know how ancient is it? Is there any books or other source I could use for a quote to define 'in de kost' term?
Klaas V
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:09:28 PM

Neurons: 4,802
See http://etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/kost

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
Bowdenii
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:46:15 PM

Neurons: 1,169
Everything said above is correct, I think. To complement, here is an entry from Van Dale Groot Woordenboek XIV:

kost

de (m.); -en

(1201-1250 ‘uitgave, levensonderhoud’) <me. Lat. costus

[....]

·
(in beperkende betekenis) dagelijks verstrekte voeding, eventueel met inbegrip van inwoning = daily supplied food, possibly including lodgings
synoniem: menage

[....]

·
ergens of bij iemand in de kost zijn, liggen
er tegen betaling geregeld van spijs en drank voorzien worden = to be supplied with food and drink somewhere / by someone, in exchange for money

·
in de halve kost zijn
ergens in halfpension zijn, er alleen ’s morgens en ’s avonds eten = half-board accommodation / demi-pension

·
volle of hele kost
waarbij alle maaltijden verstrekt worden = full accommodation / full-pension

·
kost en inwoning; (algemeen Belgisch-Nederlands) kost en inwoon
voeding en huisvesting = food and lodgings

·
vrije kost
waarvoor men niet hoeft te betalen = free food (and possibly also lodgings)

·
bij Sint-Joris in de kost zijn
ergens kosteloos eten of drinken = to eat or drink free of charge

(if you'd like to have the full entry, let me know)

I agree that 'in de kost' is not used often anymore, at least not in the Netherlands (it might be used in Flemish (Belgian) or dialects I don't know). "Kost en inwoning" is still a common expression.

The word 'kost' is very old, as you can see (1201-1250), but finding out when the phrase was first used will be very difficult - if not impossible - I think. My guess would be it's probably almost as old as the word itself.
YokoTsuno
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:01:14 PM

Neurons: 9
Bowdenii wrote:
I agree that 'in de kost' is not used often anymore, at least not in the Netherlands (it might be used in Flemish (Belgian) or dialects I don't know). "Kost en inwoning" is still a common expression.

No, it is not used in Belgium, at least not where I come from. In fact I have never heard of this expression and I am not that young either. It also strikes me as archaic. Even words like Kostganger and Kost en inwoon are becoming rare due to changing social habits.
Bowdenii
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 6:37:35 AM

Neurons: 1,169
YokoTsuno wrote:
Even words like Kostganger and Kost en inwoon are becoming rare due to changing social habits.

Very true: nowadays people usually travel to work and back home. I associate 'kost en inwoning" with au pairs and seasonal workers.

Another expression that is still commonly known (but not used that often anymore either): "Geef uw ogen de goede kost", literally "Give your eyes good food", figuratively "Pay attention to what can be seen" or "Enjoy what you see".