The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

am I right? Options
dadi5006
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 7:26:13 AM

the sentence is "A preliminary trial for the aid can be conducted easily by putting the aid on and viewing the response of the person wearing it."
the thing I understand from this sentence is; "the first test is; the person wear the aid and the doctors view his/her response."
???
Briton
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 7:55:53 AM

Neurons: 16,440

Correct.
dadi5006
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 8:51:05 AM

"The Baha(a hearing aid) atttaches to the screw and forms a very firm coupling to the skull."
what do you understand from this sentence?
to make it clear, I want to write preceding sentence(ignore it); "an implanted version of the bone-conduction aid, the Cochlear Corporation Baha[Bone-Anchored Hearing Aid], has a titanium screw embedded in the skull behid the ear."
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 10:04:58 AM

Neurons: 29,000
dadi5006 wrote:
"The Baha(a hearing aid) atttaches to the screw and forms a very firm coupling to the skull."
to make it clear, I want to write preceding sentence(ignore it); "an implanted version of the bone-conduction aid, the Cochlear Corporation Baha[Bone-Anchored Hearing Aid], has a titanium screw embedded in the skull behid the ear."

Part of your question is better addressed as vocabulary, that is to say, the proper words for a given context.

As a partial response, I would like to note that it is proper to identify an acronym early in a particular publication in the following style:

Bone-Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA)

Please note that the full phrase is spelled out, and the acronym is introduced parenthetically. Subsequent references to the acronym "BAHA" are greatly facilitated with this convention.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 3:18:10 PM

Neurons: 200,259
dadi5006 wrote:

What I understand is that the person has a screw permanently fixed in his skull behind the ear (protruding through the skin). The Baha screws onto this, which makes it very stable (it would also make conduction of sound through the bones of the skull much clearer and more positive).

As a comment (nothing to do with your question) I feel that this would sound "strange" - one hears one's own voice partly through the air and partly by bone-conduction.
It seems to me that a voice heard through the Baha would sound as if it were inside one's head.
Eh?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
RuthP
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 6:58:35 PM

Neurons: 87,603
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

**Snip**

As a comment (nothing to do with your question) I feel that this would sound "strange" - one hears one's own voice partly through the air and partly by bone-conduction.
It seems to me that a voice heard through the Baha would sound as if it were inside one's head.
Eh?

It probably would, for you or me. People for whom this is appropriate tend to be fairly profoundly deaf. This means they have lost the ability to perceive many of the usual frequencies we use in hearing. The bone conductance is probably supporting the frequencies they still have.

It may also be (my knowledge of the workings of the ear is rather old and cursory) that the sound coming in through the bone may stimulate some portion of the ear better than sound through the air and may bypass some site where perception is lost.
dadi5006
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:24:54 AM

Thank you leonAzul, I will be carefull when I write composition,etc. But the sentences I have written here are all from a medical text.

RuthP and Drag0nspeaker you are also right. Have you ever heard CHARGE syndrome? I have written from a medical text(as I mentioned) about charge syndrome. And the patients have also hearing problems, all I have written here all about that problem and relevant aids.
And I am translating the text. I have no problem with most of it, but some part of it(some sentence structures) are challenging me, when I am in trouble with it, I use this forum, and it helps me. thank you for helps.Applause

RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:06:25 AM

Neurons: 87,603
dadi5006,

I am very glad we have been able to help you.

I finally took the time to look-up the BAHA hearing aid. It was very interesting for me, because I had assumed from the company name that it had something to do with a cochlear implant. Instead, I find it is essentially the opposite: an aid for someone with a functioning cochlea, but a middle-ear which does not work; or does the signal to the cochlea refer to an implant?

EDIT
I also looked-up CHARGE syndrome. I did not recognize the name, but when reading the description I realized I had once had occasion to look it up before. It is quite a severe genetic syndrome. These kids have a lot of challenges.