The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Anglosaxon diplomas in Latin Options
SandraM
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 6:41:17 AM

Neurons: 1,454
As a translator, I noticed that quite a lot of anglosaxon universities delivered their diplomas in Latin. To add a bit of style, I imagine. Is it still the case now? And do universities from other countries (I only saw American and Scottish diplomas in Latin) do that too?
I certainly never saw that in France. Not in the last two centuries anyway ;-).
I like this idea of Latin as a lingua franca for knowledge and education.
I would have loved to get my diploma of classical studies in Latin. And you, was your diploma written in Latin?
elisa
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 1:32:11 PM

Neurons: 1,418
Hi!

Latin as lingua franca would be a great idea!:-)
People who speak Romance languages would be in advantage.... but I'm sure lots of people would like more studying English than Latin!
There are lots of prejudices regarding dead languages!Not talking

Although I attended classical studies, I didn't got a diploma in Latin, just in Italian. Italian Universities (and schools) use to write diplomas only in Italian.

*ELISA*
Ahimsa
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 9:41:53 AM

Neurons: 420
Hello,

My diploma is written in Latin. I believe that most portuguese traditional Universities will have their diplomas in Latin. If not they'll have the grade in Latin (Maxima Cum Laude, etc).

I've also seen some diplomas with the names translated as well, which looks quaint. :-)

To have another language is to possess a second soul. Charlemagne (742-814 A.D.)
SandraM
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:34:41 AM

Neurons: 1,454
Hi Ahimsa!
I am not surprised by a country with a strong Roman catholic cultural background like Portugal having traditionally Latin diplomas but I am by what Eliza said about Italy. Anyway, contrary to my prejudices (maybe), so far the leaders in Latin written universitiy diplomas are the Anglosaxons.
Wait and see what people from other countries say.
Matija
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:58:49 PM

Neurons: 39
Hi! All universities in Croatia are offering (since ever) diplomas in Latin, if student requiers and, ofcourse, pays extra for a Latin sample of original diploma. Altaugh I became professor of Latin and Greek, I never required Latin version of diploma only because I head to pay 100 US dollars extra for it. But, all students in Croatia have their university index-books bilingual - in 1st position are Latin therms and under them is Croatian translation. Also, all universities in Croatia have their names in Latin, such as "Universitas studiorum Zagrabiensis" - University of Zagreb, or "Universitas studiorum Iosephi Georgii Strossmayer" - University of George Joseph Strossmayer etc. All scientific titles or university degrees in Croatia are in Latin and also working positions in university, such as: professor (prof.), magister scientiae (mr.sc.), doctor scientiae (dr.sc.), diplomatus iuris (dipl.iur.), doctor medicinae (dr.med.), professor doctor scientiae (prof.dr. - highest scientific and working position, means that you have reached scientific doctorate at university and position of permanent professor at university), asistens, demonstrator, decanus, prodecanus etc. Professor is a title I have, that means I have 5 years of university with final diploma, and I can teach children in highscool, title I can write behind my name. If you reach title of mr.sc., or dr.sc., since they are post-diploma titles, you write them before your name. If you are dr. med. that goes behind your name, if you are dr.med with scientific doctorate after diploma, dr.sc. comes befor your name, and dr.med. behind your name.
Klaas V
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:55:16 AM

Neurons: 4,802
I can barely agree more Alea iacta est.

If one does not understand the above expression Wikipedia (and of course TFD, no offenses intended, not even a pun) acts as a replacement of classic education. I had six years Latin as a choice being a β at what is called Gymnasium in Netherlands (from 1968-1974) and it helps me as of today and beyond learning the Italian [and Toscan ;-)] language. Reading it is rather easy. Speaking and using the rules of grammatica is more difficult.

On a more musical note: This discussion' all of a sudden' reminds me of this song performed by the Irish singer Enya (actually Eithne): cursum perficio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNY5ZVflGQ

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us