The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Humor and wit Options
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:50:40 AM

Neurons: 6,040
William Penn, who founded Philadelphia, once remarked "Where wisdom has wit to express it, now there's the best orator." So, is there a place for wit and/or humor in the halls of Congress or in the office? And what quotes, if any, do you have to support your claim.
Betsy D.
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:41:56 AM

Neurons: 558
Good question. Absolutely! Matter of fact, I was watching Eric Holder's installation yesterday. In his opening speech, President Obama (geez, I love the sound of that!) quipped about Mr. Holder's jokes about his basketball capabilities. It struck me as refreshing..for I believe humor has a place almost everywhere. It lightens the moment, and laughter is cleansing.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain
Sarachan
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:13:20 PM

Neurons: 189
Yes, humor has a place in politics, as long as it's funny. I support and supported Obama, but he's not funny. He should not try to make jokes. (Let's remember the "Special Olympics" and lackluster performance at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner.)
Now, McCain, there is a funny guy. Of course, the most recent Bush could provide some laughter from time to time as well. My sisters-in-law have as a permanent fixture on their refrigerator a button with his face on it and his quote "The most important question in education is, is our children learning?"
This is a fascinating topic, by the way, for a Japanese friend of mine. The relationship between the people and their politicians there is much more serious; perhaps because the press is much less critical. (For interesting reasons. See http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2008/12/12/06 if you're interested.) Anyway, my friend, who arrived to the US in 2007, thought the Bush bashing was hilarious and couldn't get enough of it. He has a collection of calendars, books, and other realia that makes fun of our illustrious ex-pres.
MiTziGo
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:06:53 PM

Neurons: 6,142
I love the quotes from Nancy Witcher Astor, the first woman to serve as a Member of Parliament in the British House of Commons.
Quote:
Lady Astor is nearly as famous for her scathing wit as she is for her political career. Many of her best known quotes are indicative of her personal and political views, such as feminism, temperance, and conservatism; others are merely humorous...But by far the most famous were her frequent sharp exchanges with Winston Churchill...The most famous of all such anecdotes occurred when Lady Astor said to Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd put arsenic in your coffee." He responded, "Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it!" Wikipedia