The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Off-line book clubs Options
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:30:35 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Do you belong to a book club? Is the club more about the social aspect of getting together or about the book? How do you decide which books to read? Does the club focus on authors they know or ones they don't know?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:36:08 PM

Neurons: 3,101
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Do you belong to a book club? Is the club more about the social aspect of getting together or about the book? How do you decide which books to read? Does the club focus on authors they know or ones they don't know?

During college, I was a member of the Women's Literature Book Club. We started the club with our professor from a Survey of Women's Literature class.

Someone in the group was in charge of searching for interesting books by female writers. Anyone could recommend a book for the group to read. After hearing more about it, we'd vote on which ones to read and in which order we'd read them.

I loved the club, and it was a really invigorating time just to discuss our interpretations of the meanings set forth in the books by the authors.

The local library where I live has a basic book club, but somehow it hasn't enticed me so far. Plus, my schedule isn't really friendly with plans beyond the norm. But I think there are definitely valuable elements to book clubs, specific or not.
Citiwoman
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:40:15 AM

Neurons: 93
I have participated in a number of book clubs over the years. My current book club is more social than philosophical, although most members do make a strong effort to read the monthly pick. My dilemma is that I like books that challenge me -- emotionally, intellectualy and otherwise -- rather than those that make me feel good and happy. When I chose the Danish book The Exception, I was not popular. While the book is not about genocide, it does examine the history of genocide and the triggers that cause it. It was "too hard" for most to digest, but are we to pretend that these events don't happen? I enjoy the social part tremendously, but I am pining for a pick for next month that is a little more thought-provoking than The Friday Night Knitting Club (this month's selection).