The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

General benefits of studying Latin Options
elisa
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:01:18 AM

Neurons: 1,418
Many people are persuaded that the study of dead languages such as Latin (or Greek) don't provide consistent advantages in our days, except -maybe- just the usage as "linguistic base" for the study of modern languages.

This perspective can be true if you aim to material, concrete advantages that are quickly achievable and usable.
However, there are some aspects of the knowledge given by those languages that should be considered in searching the benefits of this kind of studies in our daily life, not only from the linguistic point of view.

For example, Latin & ancient Greek are useful to improve the understanding of medical prescriptions because a great quantity of medical terms have Latin or Greek roots.

Moreover, Latin literature is deeply connected with Roman history, so studying and translating Latin literary works provide a in-depth knowledge of a relevant historic period that influenced the history of the entire Europe. Thus, the study of Latin can improve also your knowledge of History.

Finally, let's remember that the Greek and Latin mythology has been one of the main topics of Art for many centuries! Hence, when you visit expositions and museums, it's a lot easier to interpret pictures and sculptures if you already know the subject by your mythological studies (just think to Metamorphoses by Ovid)!

What do you think about the study of Latin in these days? Is it worthy?
Did you ever noticed other kinds of benefits in the daily life given by the study of Latin?

*ELISA*
luciano
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:43:12 PM

Neurons: 38
Hi, Elisa!
I'm completely in acordance with you. I'm from Brazil and here I'm trying to study Latin bymyself and it's funny when I tell to people I'm studying Latin and they say: 'why don't you study English (or French or Spanish)'. The public schools here in Brazil do not offer Latin anymore. My father studied a little when he was in high school. Even the English lessons are very superficial. However I agree with you in saying that studying the roots of language is a first step to comprehend our way of thinking, our way of give name to things et cetera.
Do you study by yourself?

sábado, que é dia de nada, minto às flores e brinco com o céu de que ainda sou criança
elisa
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:05:38 PM

Hi Luciano!

Welcome to the Latin forum of TFD!

No, I studied Latin and Greek for 5 years during my high school (14 to 19 years old students), but I found it worthy and valuable.

I am glad that there is somebody else willing to study Latin and capable of appreciating the positive sides of it!Applause

What did you like most of the Latin language?

*ELISA*
TB
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:14:05 PM

Neurons: 4,277
elisa wrote:
Many people are persuaded that the study of dead languages such as Latin (or Greek) don't provide consistent advantages in our days, except -maybe- just the usage as "linguistic base" for the study of modern languages.

What do you think about the study of Latin in these days? Is it worthy?

For me, the single greatest advantage of having taken Latin in high school is the fact that I do rather well with vocabulary tests if the test is given in a multiple choice or word-match format like we have here on TFD's home page.

That does not mean that I have a great vocabulary or that I speak and write well. It just means that, if I recognize the Latin root of a word I learned in school, I can usually figure out what the answer must or probably should be given a choice. I guess I "fake it" when it comes to vocabulary tests.

I'm afraid "the study of Latin in these days", in spite of all its benefits, will eventually fade away like the language itself.

"Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
SandraM
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 6:51:07 AM

Neurons: 1,444
Hi TB,
Don't be such a pessimist! When I was in school, twenty years ago in France, they were already saying "Latin and ancient Greek are dead", and they are still very much alive in French schools today.
I think what you call "fake it" is an instance of the point about Latin being useful to understand many modern languages.
Keep up the good work, then, as long as it is this kind of faking ;-)
elisa
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:27:56 PM

Hi TB,

I completely agree with Sandra M.

The fact that you can guess the meaning of words you have never hear of is a GREAT advantage in comparison to your peers. In a situation where guessing the right answer in even 2 or 3 questions more than the average is the key to succeed this ability can really make a difference!Applause

Just think to a test like the GRE. English is not my motherlanguage, so when I decided to take the test I had to learn long lists of English terms and face questions about words without any clue neither about the context they belong to.
However, my score was pretty high in the verbal section because my Classic studies (ancient Greek and Latin) helped me to understand the meaning of the terms when this had a Greek or Latin root.

In Italy too the studies of dead languages are in decline, but, in spite of the numerous alarms, they are still taught as mandatory subjects in some kinds of high schools.

I just hope that people who understand the value of these studies will support them and spread this idea to the next generations.

*ELISA*
peterjames1
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:05:05 AM

Neurons: 9
As per my review Latin language is very easy language for language learning and also speaking. You can easily learn that language very perfectly. Just you can start that language with basic and level and then you can easily learn that language perfectly.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:31:02 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I've found Latin to be of inestimable use in studying French, Italian, Spanish and English. Even if I don't know a word's meaning the latin root often gives me a good sense of it.

Sanity is not statistical
Adriaticus
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 10:09:37 AM

Neurons: 726
I also studied ancient greek and latin for 5 years and never regret it. Today many High School in order to lure more students are changing into hybrid gymnasia replacing one of the 2 languages with a 2nd foreign language. I think latin and ancient greek must be studied together. As a matter of fact, I did better in greek grammar than in latin, but I loved latin authors.

PS - another advantage is that once you studied them, then you'll find much easier to study foreign languages with a structured grammar. i found that myself at the University when preparing for the Spanish class.