The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Favourite Latin author Options
elisa
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:36:44 PM

Neurons: 1,418
Latin literature can count lots of great authors considerated the founders of the modern way of thinking. Their works consistently influenced -and continue to influence- the literary production of diverse nations in various eras.

One of my favourite Latin authors is Seneca. I love his limpid and syntetic prose full of aphorisms and wise precepts that can be useful and valid also in our days.

What is your favourite one?

*ELISA*
SandraM
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:26:08 PM

Neurons: 1,454
Seneca is a bit too severe for me.
I love the poets, especially Ovid.
Apuleius is very nice too, poetic and funny in turns.
And of course Cicero. Sometimes talking a bit too loud about how great he is, but the Catilinarian orations ... wow!
elisa
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:38:07 AM

Hi Sandra!

I like Apuleius's "Eros & Psiche" because it is a myth that touches the borders of the fairy tales. In fact, it is the only one that presents a kind of structure very similar to the fairy tales plots (the tests that the protagonist must face, the characters that help the protagonist to pass the tests, the happy ending).

Another of my favourite Latin authors is Virgil for his ability of painting Dido's inner emotions in "Eneide" and for the funny phonetic "games" and rhythmic repetitions in "Bucolics".

I don't like very much Cicero because of the subjects he treated, but I have to admit that his style and his command of the rhetoric are incomparable!

*ELISA*
SandraM
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:39:36 PM

Hi Elisa,
I think you said somewhere else on this website you studied ancient Greek in addition to Latin. I did too (in France you have to study both or none).
It may be slightly off topic (anyway there is no ancient Greek forum), what is your ancient Greek favourite author?
I love Aristophanes and for something completely different, the tragedians! And of course, the master Homer.
elisa
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:24:31 AM

Hi Sandra!

Yes, I studied also ancient Greek. In Italy, if you attend the so called Classic Lyceum (5 years high school focusing on humanities) you have to study both Latin and Greek.

I love the tragedians too, especially Euripides for his attention to the women's world (Trojan Women is a fantastic turnover of the perspective because it tells the "sequel" of the destruction of Troy from the point of view of women, while the great part of the Greek authors concentrate only on men's destiny).

In addition, I love also the idyllic and settings of Theocrit's poems and the overflowing passion of Saffo's verses!

Why do you like Aristophanes and the tragedians?

*ELISA*
SandraM
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:28:04 AM

elisa wrote:
Hi Sandra!

Yes, I studied also ancient Greek. In Italy, if you attend the so called Classic Lyceum (5 years high school focusing on humanities) you have to study both Latin and Greek.

I love the tragedians too, especially Euripides for his attention to the women's world (Trojan Women is a fantastic turnover of the perspective because it tells the "sequel" of the destruction of Troy from the point of view of women, while the great part of the Greek authors concentrate only on men's destiny).

In addition, I love also the idyllic and settings of Theocrit's poems and the overflowing passion of Saffo's verses!

Why do you like Aristophanes and the tragedians?

Well I like theatre and plays.
Aristophanes is so funny (even though sometimes rude)and he provides insight in the everyday life of the Athenians of his time: what they ate, how they lived, the gossip and fashions of the time. And he makes a laugh of Socrates, who was a pompous guy, if you believe Plato's Socratic dialogues.
The tragedians I like because they bring the old myths and mythological characters to life on the stage. Euripides is great for "the human touch" and a fresh point of view on the Trojan war, as you said. His Helen is an original view of how this poor character lived and felt through the whole thing.
And Sophocles' Greek is so elegant and fluid.
It's good to see that some people out there still love the classic authors and languages.
Ciao,
Sandra
elisa
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:03:41 AM

Hi Sandra!

It is good also for me to know that there still are people interested in dead languages such as Latin and ancient Greek!
However, I'm afraid that probably we are going to get fewer and fewer.....we should contact the W.W.F. to be considered protected animals!!!;-))

I hope the Latin subforum will not become just a conversation in 2...!!!

*ELISA*
SandraM
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:48:16 AM

elisa wrote:

I hope the Latin subforum will not become just a conversation in 2...!!!

Well, I have several friends who teach Latin in France but they're shy because this is an English speaking forum. I'll ty to bring them to this subforum.
Ciao!
peterjames1
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:03:19 AM

Neurons: 9
My favorite Latin Author is Carolina de Robertis.I can read all books for him.This Uruguayan-American author knows how to make fiction seem real and close to home.
SandraM
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:09:56 AM

Hi peterjames1 and welcome aboard.
We weren't discussing our preferred Latin American authors but Latin as in Roman.
Hope to read your contribution soon again.