The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

short stories Options
islanddreamer
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:43:55 PM

Neurons: 2,149
This is easy, You only need to add a line or two, but feel free to write as much as you want! Scary, funny, it's your call

Let's try to see if we can compose a short story. My girls and I used to do this when we went camping. I will start off with a beginning paragraph and you build onto the story as we go along.

Hannah and Jake were on their honeymoon, walking hand in hand along the shoreline on their way to the secluded cove at Moomomi Beach. There was no sound other than the lapping waves, and calling of the seabirds in the distance. Hannah had just thought to herself that Molokai was one of the most hauntingly beautiful places in Hawaii, when out of the corner of her eye she saw...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John Wooden

capo403
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:06:05 PM

Neurons: 1,815
...a dark figure lurking underneath a palm tree. She could discern a hairy creature that didn't appear quite human. She felt Jake and herself being closely observed as they neared the palm tree. Hannah slowed her pace and tapped her unsuspecting husband on the arm.

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
Susie
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:50:51 PM

Neurons: 1,154
cautiously she gazed in the direction of the dark figure. She softly whispers to her husband that she wants to turn around and walk the other way. As she does so she notices another dark figure in the distance on the beach, coming closer.
islanddreamer
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:09:34 PM

As though they had walked into another realm, the quiet sunny day became filled with a darkness neither of them could totally comprehend. No longer could they hear the waves lapping against the shore, or the birds calling as they circled overhead. All they heard now were the screams inside there heads as...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

islanddreamer
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:11:38 PM

...a net was thrown over their heads, and the dark shadowy figures closed in on them. As they struggled to regain their senses,...

schrodinger's cat
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:23:35 PM

Neurons: 1,977
...the only sound they could hear was a steady beat of hooves against the hot sand. They were carried somewhere on the backs of these creatures. Their arms and legs bound and their heads covered they could neither escape nor see where they were going. It felt that several hours went by when...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. --Robert Frost: The Road Not Taken--
mxklark
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:43:45 PM

Neurons: 18
kaboom!! a creature farted and the couple chuckled as the smell was suprisingly pleasant, then...
ginchinchili
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:04:06 AM

Neurons: 3
...the pleasantry and the creatures came to an abrupt halt, where Hannah and Jake were lifted upward and set down upon their feet by pairs of unnaturally large hands, muscling them in place until they both recovered their footing.
"We mistrust you, but we mean you no harm," came a voice in low resonant tones.
"We mean you no harm...we mean you no harm."
From the number of voices, it was clear to Hannah and Jake that they had company.
rivershin
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:33:08 AM

Neurons: 102
There were noises of scratching and grunting. Suddenly a trapdoor opened under Hannah's feet and she went tumbling down like Alice through the looking glass. At the last moment she pulled the hood off her head and looked up. All she saw was a group of football players in green helmets looking down at her. Alice smiled to herself and breathed in the rank odor of sweat and mud and torn grass. She had always secretly wanted to be a football player.
srirr
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:30:34 AM

Neurons: 396,447
"Would you like to join us? We are a player short. ", asked one. Hannah could not resist her temptation. She forgot about Jake and started playing. Little did she know that this was not ordinary football game. If you get a goal, one player of your team is cut to pieces. As she moved forward to kick the football, ...

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Galad
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:52:19 AM

Neurons: 10,532
her mind drifted into that fearful place... She recalls how she lost her first husband; to a game of checkers with the exact same fate. Hannah needed a scheme that would guarantee Jake was the next to be cut into pieces. If only I could...

The Law often allows what Honor Forbids- Bernard-Joseph Saurin
islanddreamer
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:46:11 AM

if only I could, if only...A that moment Hannah's head began to spin as though she was trapped inside some strange, mystical cyclone of thoughts, memories and horrible imaginings. What was real? Was Jake still with her? Was he also lost in some altered universe? Hannah felt herself being sucked into an even darker consciousness, until there were no more thoughts or images running through her mind, total blackness. In the meantime Jake was battling demons of his own...

Vickster
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:10:03 PM

Neurons: 7,211
Seeping out of the earth from the dark depths of Hell, monstrous shadows swirled around him. Shreiking in high pitched wails, they groped at him with their long black nails reaching into his mind and body, stealing his thoughts.

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes
islanddreamer
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:24:25 PM

He could feel what seemed like a thousand arms wrapping around his body. As he opened his eyes, he saw that he was being held in a giant spider web and dozens of black hairy spiders were pulling at his arms and legs, their pincers digging into him. Jake tried to shake free, but as he turned and writhed in his struggle, he noticed a dark figure watching from the shadows. "Don't be afraid" said the stranger,"they won't hurt you, they're trying to protect you from yourself."

oxymoron
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:57:49 PM

Neurons: 845
Several hours later Hannah and Jake looked at each other in amazement, giggled, they both had a humongous attack of the munchies, straight way to the fridge, cheese, Jake fancied a huge wedge of stilton with grapes, meanwhile Hannah was esconced in an enormous creme brulee when all of a sudden.....

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. Jiddu Krishnamurti

Yoshj
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:18:25 PM

Neurons: 42
There it was, that same noise.. Jake and Hannah rushed out to see what it was, only to have the fun start yet again. Jake and Hannah got separated, the ground torn from beneath them like quicksand, sinking deeper and deeper into this weird world below.
Vickster
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 8:17:41 AM

Neurons: 7,211
Spiraling into a deep dark hole, Hannah fearfully grabbed hold of Jake's hand. She looked deep within his eyes expecting to see fear, but instead found him laughing. He screamed in delight and pull her deeper into the abyss. Hannah slowly realized that Jake was slowly transforming into Satan.

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes
islanddreamer
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 5:09:35 PM

She looked away, only to see her own reflection in the slick covered walls of the chasm. Her face distorted like the minons of satan. Was this Hades? Hell? Visions of fire and brimstone. Had they fallen into the entrance of all infernal regions? Hannah screamed louder than she had ever scremed before, her mind at the breaking point. She heard Jake yelling her name and felt someone shaking her violently.
"Hannah, Hannah...Hannah, you're ok!" "Hannah wake up, you're dreaming" shouted Jake as he tried desperately to wake his new bride.
Hannah suddenly bolted upright, her eyes burning and her throat raw and raspy. "Oh, Jake," Hannah cried, " I thought you were the devil, there were huge spiders and hairy creatures and I was Alice in the looking glass playing a deadly football game and..."
"Calm down, honey" Jake said as he tried to sooth her. "We both fell asleep, I had some pretty strange dreams too, probably too much spicy food and all." "It's been a long flight, but the plane is getting ready to land soon." "Look out your window, there's the island, there's Molokai right below us."

capo403
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 10:13:53 PM

Neurons: 1,815
Hannah gave her husband a weak smile. Although the dream was so bizarre, it seemed so real. She felt a twinge of guilt for not trusting Jake. How could a silly dream affect her this way?

Still, Hannah had to be reassured. She walked over to the open window and surveyed the landscape below.

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
islanddreamer
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:52:50 PM

She walked over to the open window? Wait, how could that be? Was she still dreaming? She an Jake were just sitting beside each other on the airplane waiting to land. "Snap out of it", she thought to herself. Why couldn't she get a grip on some sort of reality? She heard the sound of birds and again her world began spinning...

kamalraj
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:04:32 AM

Neurons: 6,081

வாழ்க தமிழ்! வளர்க எம் மக்கள்